CT Engineering 4G Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CT Engineering 4G Info

I don't know if you guys are aware but I sent an email to CT Enginereeing inquiring on parts development for the 4G, specifically a SC and this is how it went:

Hi,

Do you guys have any plans or are working on a SC for the 4G TL? What about other parts in the works?

Thanks,

We do have a S/C in the works for the 4G TL, it has been prototyped and dyno tested, we are still getting the final tuning touches ready before we release it to the public. The kit makes around 80 whp.

There is a set-of stainless steel axlebacks that we released about 6-8 months ago and we have a cold air intake that should be available in the next couple of months that makes around 15-20 whp and combined with our catbacks made 25+ whp.
If you have any other questions feel free to call or e-mail us anytime.

Thanks,

Chris Dwyer
The following users liked this post:
CGRobb (10-02-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
There is a thread here with the CTE S/C and CTE 4G test car.
if i remember correctly, its been in the proto type stage for over 2 years now.

Tuning is a problem.
although, the 3rd GEN TL has figured out the tuning.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
I rib them on their FB channel all the time about 4G stuff and they insist it's in the works.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pseudomaniac:
jnc2000 (05-30-2012), potmilkz (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Anyone know if the axle backs fit the fwd and awd? or just one?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
So what's really available now from CTE ?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Any word on the 09-11 front overlay? Or did that come out and I missed it? Can't find it or anything like it anywhere.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced

Lotta lip service. We have been waiting on these forever.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guess they aren't eager to make the kit, more of a "ya, we'll get to it when we feel like it"
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm of the opinion that since the internal issues involving Comptech occurred, any serious attention to aftermarket upgrades to pedestrian vehicles aren't really on their front burners. We all waited for ICEBOXES for the CL's, which didn't come out until well into the last year of the model run. I just don't think the interest is there on their part.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ice box, and the limited run of the B-pipe - and what did they make, like 50 sets of those headers?

Yeah - the company is CT-E now - different than Comptech racing - but who knows. They're busy making civic bolt ons.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
They've been saying the icebox has been coming "in a few months" for a few years.

Ditto on their SC. I'll believe anything from them when I'm given a link to buy it. I would love to be proven wrong - but I doubt we'll see anything from them this year.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 PM
2G TLX-S

We can't fault CTE. After all, it's running a business trying to make big money.

CTE must be busy developing products for the lucrative high-volume Civic and Accord markets. Then it pays lip service to the low-volume TL owners, to keep us waiting for phantom CTE products, rather than losing us to other aftermarket tuner shops.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Official CT-E response

Hello everyone, looks like it's time to update everyone on where we are at with the 4G TL parts. It does take longer to put some parts into production than others.

We can't sell a kit or product until we have every bug worked out that we encounter, some take longer than others. We are aren't a huge corporation that has endless amounts of money to throw around, we try and make the best quality part for a "reasonable" price that we can.

The supercharger for the TL is almost complete, we realize we have been saying that for a while but we aren't the only company involved in this. It is a team effort to make a supercharger kit that is supposed to bolt on to any 4G TL and work flawlessly for years. We offer a warranty on these parts and replacing superchargers gets expensive real quick if we have un-resolved issues. We would rather find out the weaknesses and fix them before the customer does. We have WAY too much money invested in this kit to turn back now.

The intake was almost ready for production 6 months ago and then we found a problem, so it was back to the drawing boards. Since this box is made from fiberglass, that means making new molds and testing the parts all over again. We just approved the 2nd final version. We can start production on these as soon as we are able to test the new design. The prototype intake made 18 whp!

At the moment, the only part we have available for the 4G TL is our stainless axlebacks.

While it is true that we make parts for some Honda's we try and support some of the Acura models as well....the new ILX has our attention.

We hope this clears a few things up, at least you know that we do read this stuff and listen to what the customers are saying.

Thanks,

CT-Engineering
The following 3 users liked this post by CT-Engineering:
djtanveer (05-08-2012), lji (05-14-2012), maddogtheta (05-11-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
Will the supercharger need a ecu to go with it? or just straight bolt and go?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Patiently waiting for the intake.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 AM
2G TLX-S

I bet it'll be another 6 months when we hear from CT-E again.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Thanks for the response, much appreciated!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by potmilkz
Will the supercharger need a ecu to go with it? or just straight bolt and go?
He didnt say it, BUT i'm betting on that they are getting snagged because of engine management.

how come you guys dont research?
like seriously, the 3rd gen TL is prime example of what you guys should be expecting.

we had LOTS of engines blow because of no engine management.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by CT-Engineering
Hello everyone, looks like it's time to update everyone on where we are at with the 4G TL parts. It does take longer to put some parts into production than others.

We can't sell a kit or product until we have every bug worked out that we encounter, some take longer than others. We are aren't a huge corporation that has endless amounts of money to throw around, we try and make the best quality part for a "reasonable" price that we can.

The supercharger for the TL is almost complete, we realize we have been saying that for a while but we aren't the only company involved in this. It is a team effort to make a supercharger kit that is supposed to bolt on to any 4G TL and work flawlessly for years. We offer a warranty on these parts and replacing superchargers gets expensive real quick if we have un-resolved issues. We would rather find out the weaknesses and fix them before the customer does. We have WAY too much money invested in this kit to turn back now.

The intake was almost ready for production 6 months ago and then we found a problem, so it was back to the drawing boards. Since this box is made from fiberglass, that means making new molds and testing the parts all over again. We just approved the 2nd final version. We can start production on these as soon as we are able to test the new design. The prototype intake made 18 whp!

At the moment, the only part we have available for the 4G TL is our stainless axlebacks.

While it is true that we make parts for some Honda's we try and support some of the Acura models as well....the new ILX has our attention.

We hope this clears a few things up, at least you know that we do read this stuff and listen to what the customers are saying.

Thanks,

CT-Engineering
Is the projected launch date still July/August for the intake? You guys are straight killing me with the wait
Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks,

CT-Engineering
It's nice to see there's still plans on the 4G supercharger, I had begun to think nothing was going to happen. Hopefully we'll get to see it this year, and before the snow tires go on...
Old 05-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Instructor

A cte supercharger that adds 80 whp...not bad. Wonder if it's going to cost about $7k-8k...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This kit should come with tuning, although if we can't get a proper solution figured out, you will need to get your car tuned with an F.I.C. unit or another stand alone set-up. We don't have a retail price yet for the kit but you can assume it will be about the same as the 04-08 TL kit, in the $5k range....The intake is still looking like July/August for production.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
This kit should come with tuning, although if we can't get a proper solution figured out, you will need to get your car tuned with an F.I.C. unit or another stand alone set-up. We don't have a retail price yet for the kit but you can assume it will be about the same as the 04-08 TL kit, in the $5k range....The intake is still looking like July/August for production.
Good to hear from you guys again. So if the intake is going into production in July/August does that mean theres still a wait time before they're sent out for distribution?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Will the supercharger kit come with the intake? If I'm planning on getting the supercharger should I be planning on getting the intake as well?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace
He didnt say it, BUT i'm betting on that they are getting snagged because of engine management.

we had LOTS of engines blow because of no engine management.
I'm so money.

guys, please research the 3rd Gen TL's.
the AEM F.I.C isnt a proper tuning solution, although it works.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
justin, a few links to those 3rd Gen TL's please... With regards to this, what should I be searching for in the 3rd Gen forum?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by lji
justin, a few links to those 3rd Gen TL's please... With regards to this, what should I be searching for in the 3rd Gen forum?
if you give me some time, i can dig some of the threads up.

BUT basically what it comes down to is, at WOT the F.I.C does its job.
the problem is when you're running at 1/2 throttle or less.
the CTE supercharge needs an intercooler or METH to keep things cool.

IF the 4G CTE supercharger comes with an intercooler, i'd scoop it up in a heart beat.
couple that with the J&R ECU, and you guys should be golden!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Has CT engineering looked to or considered the J&R ECU?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I have car ADD

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
This stuff will never come out.... (not trying to bash CTE, loved their products)... but they were also working on the 3G Type S (UA7/J35A) supercharged... and it was never released... and the damn thing bolted right on!!

The S/C will be about $4500-$5000.. plus close to $1k for a real professional and/or dealership installation. ...for 80whp?? yikes!!

I can tune my car, for $2000.. and gain about 100-150whp
justnspace (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by lji
Because info is all scattered around, I cant find any specific links pointing to the problems.
But, I do know that the J&R ECU solves it.

While we're on the topic, we're finding out that the J&R ECU is not completely plug and play.
to be safe, you do have to have some watchdogs in place.

you'll have to monitor your air/fuel ratio and knock.
I'm monitoring both on an N/A engine.
you'll also have to learn the software. and really get to know what all the values mean.
its pretty barbaric as its not like a hondata reflash.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
This stuff will never come out.... (not trying to bash CTE, loved their products)... but they were also working on the 3G Type S (UA7/J35A) supercharged... and it was never released... and the damn thing bolted right on!!

The S/C will be about $4500-$5000.. plus close to $1k for a real professional and/or dealership installation. ...for 80whp?? yikes!!

YEAH..But it will still be bland....
Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

And where does one get a tune that produces that much power from our J? I've looked everywhere and cant find anything on it.

I come from a street family of STi's and know that you can get 70whp from just a tune, nothing else, are you saying we get even more WHP from just a good tune? hmmm..
Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

You're:

A. Not going to tune the stock ECU. These aren't 20 year old Civic ECUs. These bad boys are encrypted and locked down.

B. A replacement / tuneable ECU - (which does not exist for the 4G yet) from Hondata, AEM, et. all - is going to set you back about $1500 with the harness, and you're going to get a "it'll start and roll" level program with that - no base tuning maps.

C. You're going to pay a Hondata / AEM tuner to fly somewhere to meet you at an AWD dyno that will work with the funky SH-AWD system, and then feed them and the shop a combined $250 an hour or so to dial in about 4-5 hours worth of tuning.

At the end of all of this, you might hope to pick up 30 WHP peak - WITH all the N/A bolt ons installed.

Stock turbo cars have an immediately unlockable 20%-30% power potential just by leaning out the fuel and adjusting boost and timing. They aren't built to run at full tolerances because production cars that don't run for 10k without blowing things up don't sell well for very long (Yet Mitsubishi is still in business....).

This isn't a platform that has a dedicated tuning following like a Cobb, or a Dinan, etc. Comptech is about all we've got, and turning this platform into a 400 whp CTS-V track killer isn't on their radar.

The comptech stuff is pricey, and always will be. The build quality is good, the support has always been good, and it's not like they're building 5000 of these superchargers....I'd be suprised if these go production if they ever make 1000 of them. It's a very niche market.
CT-Engineering (07-23-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
sounds exciting to me - 80 more hp? How much more torque are we talking? I can only imagine what this does to the ole' butt dyno Can't wait to see hard data on this project
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM

we're seeing peak gains of 20hp/20tq with the J&R ECU on an N/A J32/J35

but, Rodney has taken on to many projects at one time.
I still havent received my ECU yet
Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM
7th Gear

we're seeing peak gains of 20hp/20tq with the J&R ECU on an N/A J32/J35

but, Rodney has taken on to many projects at one time.
I still havent received my ECU yet
So this Rodney that you mentioned...is he working on a 4g ecu solution? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Impetuous
So this Rodney that you mentioned...is he working on a 4g ecu solution? Thanks.
its the same motor.
the only thing different is the harness. he would have to get a test 4G car so that he can pinout the ECU.

BUTT, like I said, he bit off more than he can chew.
its been six months since I paid for the ECU.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 PM
7th Gear

its the same motor.
the only thing different is the harness. he would have to get a test 4G car so that he can pinout the ECU.

BUTT, like I said, he bit off more than he can chew.
its been six months since I paid for the ECU.
Cool. Thanks for the info and sorry to hear about your wait. Damn! That's a long time!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:30 PM
2G TLX-S

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac

The comptech stuff is pricey, and always will be. The build quality is good, the support has always been good, and it's not like they're building 5000 of these superchargers....I'd be suprised if these go production if they ever make 1000 of them. It's a very niche market.
I would say CompTech will have a hard time even selling 200 copies of the superchargers. The aftermarket potential for the 4G TL is very small indeed, especially for upgrades that cost upwards of a few grands.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I would say CompTech will have a hard time even selling 200 copies of the superchargers. The aftermarket potential for the 4G TL is very small indeed, especially for upgrades that cost upwards of a few grands.
I agree - sounds like a fun car, but where I live I can't even use the TL's current potential. Sounds like a lot of money for something I couldn't enjoy. For the cost of a TL + blower you're most likely in shelby/camaro territory

Quick Reply: CT Engineering 4G Info