Cleaning Takeda Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaning Takeda Filter

Hey guys, as anybody cleaned their Takeda SRI air filter yet and if so, any tips or suggestions?

According to the instructions: http://afepower.com/catalog/TR-1007P/is.pdf

Takeda says "be sure to use only "Restore Kit (Takeda P/M TP-7015C), I'm assuming that's just typical cross-selling but is it truly necessary?

Thanks,
Travis
Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Why take the chance? I ordered their brand of filter cleaning kit and although the color is green as opposed to a "clear" one from K&N (seemingly does the same thing, loosen dirt from the surface), I don't think there is a big price difference across the board from one brand or another. Besides, if you order it once, chances are you'll never order it again because my order came with two bottles and I barely used 1/8 of the first bottle when I was cleaning mine.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
Why take the chance? I ordered their brand of filter cleaning kit and although the color is green as opposed to a "clear" one from K&N (seemingly does the same thing, loosen dirt from the surface), I don't think there is a big price difference across the board from one brand or another. Besides, if you order it once, chances are you'll never order it again because my order came with two bottles and I barely used 1/8 of the first bottle when I was cleaning mine.
Good points prepreludesh, I appreciate it. Looks like I'll just order the Takeda restore kit online.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Colorado Springs

No problem. I own 3 sets of K&N cone filters for my Prelude and rotated them when I lived in El Paso, mainly because dust storms there would necessitate I had to clean them every 2 months. Anyway, I was finding that I was going through the oil faster than the cleaner, but the Takeda one is so easy to take care of.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
No problem. I own 3 sets of K&N cone filters for my Prelude and rotated them when I lived in El Paso, mainly because dust storms there would necessitate I had to clean them every 2 months. Anyway, I was finding that I was going through the oil faster than the cleaner, but the Takeda one is so easy to take care of.
Where can you pick up the kit? I think mine is due for cleaning lol
Old 03-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eazy
Where can you pick up the kit? I think mine is due for cleaning lol
I froogle it based on the Takeda product code but I ended up purchasing it online @ http://www.odonnellsautoparts.com/se...-Takeda/Detail

Same day shipping btw.

How's that APTL full exhaust? I'm envious.....
Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM
WDP 4G

Originally Posted by lewisvilleTL
I froogle it based on the Takeda product code but I ended up purchasing it online @ http://www.odonnellsautoparts.com/se...-Takeda/Detail

Same day shipping btw.

How's that APTL full exhaust? I'm envious.....
Thank you kind sir

I'm loving the ATLP exhaust. You should pick one up
Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM
WDP 4G

Btw, how you clean the filter? Is there instructions included with the kit?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:54 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATLP Exhaust

Hey Eazy, I'm interested in that exhaust for my 09 TL FWD, where can you purchase, website?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Colorado Springs

Originally Posted by eazy
Btw, how you clean the filter? Is there instructions included with the kit?

yes, there are instructions on the kit. They go something like this: Tap the filter on a hard surface to restore 50% of the efficiency, vaccum the filter to restore 95% of the efficiency, or spray the filter cleaner on the outside, let it set for 15 minutes, then run a stream of water over the outside of the filter to rinse off the cleaner and let it dry overnight to restore 100% efficiency.

This last step is different than cleaning a K&N intake because when you spray on the cleaner to the outside, the K&N tells you to run the water stream from the inside of the filter so that it makes the dirt particles flush out and not embed further into the intake material. But considering the K&N is made with cotton gauze and the Takeda is made from a polyester (I think) perhaps 2 different methods are needed.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
yes, there are instructions on the kit. They go something like this: Tap the filter on a hard surface to restore 50% of the efficiency, vaccum the filter to restore 95% of the efficiency, or spray the filter cleaner on the outside, let it set for 15 minutes, then run a stream of water over the outside of the filter to rinse off the cleaner and let it dry overnight to restore 100% efficiency.

This last step is different than cleaning a K&N intake because when you spray on the cleaner to the outside, the K&N tells you to run the water stream from the inside of the filter so that it makes the dirt particles flush out and not embed further into the intake material. But considering the K&N is made with cotton gauze and the Takeda is made from a polyester (I think) perhaps 2 different methods are needed.
I'm about to tackle this project this weekend. I'm not sure if they have changed the directions since you purchased the kit but mine says to rinse the cleaner from the clean side to the dirty side...meaning from the inside out.

I was happy to see there was no oil included in the kit. I had to oil my previous Injen intake and was never a fan, I was always afraid I'd put too much or not enough.