Check emission systems, check SH-AWD systems lights on after Takeda SRI installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Check emission systems, check SH-AWD systems lights on after Takeda SRI installed

Hi guys,

After reading so much valuable information here from you guys for at least a year, I just started to do my first mod. So a couple friends and I earlier tonight install the takeda intake together. the process was rather straight forward as my friends are quite experienced (but I am a complete newb and they just installed an AEM intake for a s2000 right before mine). After the installation both cars went for a test drive for 15 mins and everything seem fine. (sounds great!!!!!my friend with the s2k actually amazed, he always "laugh" my car as a "family sedan", hah)

And then here comes the problem. I leave my car cool off as I went to eat ( an hour or so), the "check emission system" light and the "check sh-awd system" light went on as I restart the engine and they stayed on. Thanks for any help.

we did unplug the battery during the installation and we followed the instruction step by step. Anyone know what cause the problem and know how to fix it? I hope it's not a big problem and it just simply needs a reboot. I really wish I can find a quick easy solution here as many of you guys have installed it for a long time already.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for any helps btw.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
My GUESS would be a loose ground to frame connection. Best bet is to hook up a reader and pull the exact codes. Could be a vac line left loose, or hooked up wrong, sensor unplugged, etc.

And....that intake; it's not going do do much for you but make noise. Check out my sticky at the top of the performance section.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:55 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's necessary to remove the front bumper to install cold air on acura tl 2005
Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Intermediate

Thx for the advise Pseudo, I wish i could read the sticky topic much earlier. Are those the cable that connect in between the engine base onto the intake tube? We did stuck for a while to figure out the right locations for a rubber cable though, I guess I will bring my car into a proper garage to take a look tmr. But any major damage to the engine if i just drive for one day? Still need to use it for work.
I know there's a old post from of one of the pro aziners showing the DIY steps with photos, can someone post a quick link here? I tried to search it for an hour still lost.
I do planning to purchase xlr8's test pipe/ j pipe next, will keep the stock tips though. Overall I want to have a decent sound but not drawing too much attention from the cops as I drive by couples of police station everyday. Round trip = 4
Old 04-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Intermediate

Thx Ionic, but I read many posts here mention bumper removal is not required for 4G
Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Intermediate

nvm, I just found the DIY post again, thx
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=530
Old 04-28-2012, 07:41 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Check all connections. Make sure your vac lines are all plugged in and your MAF sensor is plugged in
Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Probably a disconnected connector
Old 04-29-2012, 12:08 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. See if the warning lights come back or not.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 PM
2nd Gear

I remove the front bumper to install cold air injen on acura tl 2005 but thanks for your help !
Old 04-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lonicdirty
I remove the front bumper to install cold air injen on acura tl 2005 but thanks for your help !
This is 4thgen, there's no cold air intake so u don't need a bumper removal. I'm planning on making a cold air this spring as soon as the weather warms up and I can take the bike To work or a few days while I mock one up.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
LOL, sorry to hear, my recommendation would be to sh*t can the Takeda and get a K&N SRI. Best thing I've ever done son!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Intermediate

Thanks guys, we checked everything again yesterday, doesn't look like it's cause by a loosen connector. we then disconnected / reconnected the battery, turned out the warning light show up again today on the way to work but then gone after I refill my tank after work. ( I don't know if that's a good thing or not ) when the warning lights are on my sh-awd system was disable.

My logic was that the O2 sensor or whatever measure the airflow in the tube didn't get use to the new number of airflow so cause reading problem and shut down my sh-awd system as it thinks the car is not producing the right emission level. And now it's finally got used to it so the warning lights went off. ( I know it's more like bullshiting, but i wish if someone can tell me if it's the right direction )

None of you have a similar problem with your installation?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 AM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Sorry, to hear about your problems,i installed the Takeda about 3 months ago,since the install i did not drive the car until Saturday,so far i have no problems,mind you i have only added about 200 kms to the odo since install.
Did you check the Maf sensor connection? i hope it all works out for you.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Intermediate

I had the same issue i brought it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong and erased the codes. Never came back on since
Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Pro

I had no issues, the only sensor that is directly affected is the MAF sensor, since you had to swap it over from the stock intake. I suggest you go to a local shop who can scan the code for free, and see what code it is. That alone will set you off in the right direction to diagnose your problem. Maybe the person who installed it cracked the MAF sensor by over tightening it? We won't know until you scan the code.

As for the awd system being disabled, it's from the check engine light, what ever is throwing the code is telling the PCM, something isn't right we need to run in a fail safe mode to prevent any damage to any other system that maybe affected. Your VSA light and traction control light may also be affected by that code. Like I said you need to scan the code ASAP.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

It sounds like you pulled a transmission connector from the problems you describe. Are the gauges working properly?

Doing the intake itself, you're only really messing with MAF / MAP / IAT sensors - shouldn't cause what you're seeing. Maybe a rough idle and jumpy acceleration.

And as far as K&N vs Takeda - it's the same thing, as usual, just ignore easy.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all the valuable input everyone, I am sorry that I could not respond quicker to all the feedback as I was so busy with work and other random things last couple weeks. I brought my car to the dealership last weekend, they did a hour inspection try to simply turn off the code but was not successful. Like what you guys mention above, the dealership guy told me that they suspect it is the MAF sensor that cause the problem and they were ordering a new one for me to install today and hope that can fix the issue.

Today I just came back from the dealership. after a couple hours of waiting, bad news, they told me they can't fix the problem because the stock sensor can not adjust to the new level of air flow so there's not way to fix the code unless change back to stock or get a aftermarket sensor chip. Currently I am so frustrated and annoyed as I wonder if I am just really that bad luck that my car and this intake doesn't match. (But most of you don't even have such issue)

As they provided me a new MAF sensor and the issue doesn't fix, i think it's not cracking MAF sensor?! Sorry I don't know much about the transmission connector. My gauges all working fine except right after the installation my gas gauges suddenly dropped for a level but went back on gradually ( as you mention now is that a sign of something not being right?) Do you mind elaborate a bit on that? Oh yeah, I believe the dealership should had scan it already, should I call back to ask for the code?
I am bringing my car to a reputed local tuning shop tmr to take a look, but i am really worry that at the end it won't go away. Anyways, I will wait for the result tmr.

Once again sincerely thank you for all the feedback. I would love to know if there's any other options that can fix the problem
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Pro

They wouldn't have just ordered a new MAF sensor if the code wasn't related to the MAF. Unless the intake had a defect in the position of the MAF, it should read just fine. I would love to look at the car in person if you weren't so far away,
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 AM
Intermediate

Hey good news

The problem's solved. The guy from the tuning shop helped me to contact a Takeda rep and he suggested it might be caused by the location of the tube. We checked one more time and found out we actually installed both rubber couplets for the 3.5 and the 3.7 model together which causing air leakage ( dummie me, as making a stupidest mistake for my first actually involve installation).
now the car is doing fine and the code never come back on ever since.
Hah I wish I live closer to you guys so I can also enjoy all the good deals and meeting all other 4Gs. Thanks for all the feedback once again though.
The following users liked this post:
TinyRK (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Intermediate

cheers for this community btw
Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Drifting

Received 671 Likes on 541 Posts
Happy to hear your problem is solved,enjoy!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for coming back and provide us with the solution to your problem. This might help someone else, except EazyRider562, because he's PIMP and apparently your Daddy and whatever you bought and installed is crap compared to his...

Originally Posted by EazyRider562
LOL, sorry to hear, my recommendation would be to sh*t can the Takeda and get a K&N SRI. Best thing I've ever done son!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 AM
WDP 4G

Originally Posted by TinyRK
Thanks for coming back and provide us with the solution to your problem. This might help someone else, except EazyRider562, because he's PIMP and apparently your Daddy and whatever you bought and installed is crap compared to his...

Mods should change his name to EazyTroller247
Glad you got everything worked out
Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Cruisin'

I have the same issue now. I just installed a weapon r sri. Yea i know everone says k&n and takeda but honestly i just like the sound and i had one in my 3g before. But anyway i have the check emissions light on also about 1 hr after installing it. Im not the mechanic type so i am a newb at this, what should i do? I read the thread but what step should i go to to get this resolved. And is it going to mess the car up by driving it this way. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Noooo, if you'd read anything, you'd see everywhere that you just wasted your money doing an intake at all.

To fix your problem, remove the piece you have installed and reinstall your factory air box. When comptech or AEM release an intake; then consider purchasing.

You've either got a vac line wrong, knocked a sensor loose, or you're choking the car like the OP was here with both couplers installed.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:50 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac

You've either got a vac line wrong, knocked a sensor loose, or you're choking the car like the OP was here with both couplers installed.
Does this SRI not come with installation instructions ?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

<sarcasm>Well you don't expect someone who's unfamiliar with a new vehicle, never bolted on an aftermarket part, and hasn't researched what to buy or why not to buy to actually read the manual do you? </sarcasm>

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Cruisin'

Wow! Easy with the sarcasm, i just asked for a little help not a beating lol. I didnt install it by the way im just doing my researh and i saw someone else had the same issue, thats why i asked the experts. Geeeez....
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's brutal in here.

Seriously though - every intake thread you read on here comes to the same conclusion: noisemaker.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Cruisin'

Yea i said that before i know everyone spoke about the k& or takeda but your huge post about performance clearly says you wont get any gains. I did it for the sound that the honest truth. I had no issues on my 3g when i had that same intake and a greddy evo 2 exhaust so this got me by surprise. While i get this fixed is it going mess the car up if i drive it like that??? Your clearly the expert around here with 17 years of tweeking these beasts. Thanks man
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'd get the code pulled and make sure it's nothing major. Check emissions may be unrelated to your intake install - It's not unusual for the J motors to foul the sensors.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Cruisin'

Cool thanks' im going to have it checked.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VRCD_NY
Cool thanks' im going to have it checked.
Hi VRCD_NY, I know the post has been a while, just suggest go check with the guy that sold you the intake, see if his other customers got the similar issue then you might get some cue. I am glad mine is fixable and I think yours should be fine.

I totally understand how annoying it is on the road when the code throw in and making you worry, but go check with every possible source and it will be fine. After all it's just an intake.

hope you got it fixed by now.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
WDP 4G

Funny thing is I got this code when I put my stock intake box back in. I have the P2R TB spacers and it is a BITCH to get the stock box back in with it.

I either have to put the TB intake coupler on first and push the top of the box into the coupler (compressing it as much as I can) and try to screw in the air box in. But the bolts on the box don't really line up with the TB spacer. I got it down eventually some how and didn't get a code.
So this time I installed the box and bolted it closed first. Then I compressed the stock coupler and squeezed it through the TB and intake box. This is the first time I've done it and I got a code after doing so. p0443 I'm guessing I punctured the coupler some how while squeezing it in to fit. I tried finding the part but have no idea which category they grouped it in because its not showing up on intake manifold.

So now either I'm going to find the stock coupler part or just throw the SRI back on

.. Nvm found it its listed under "air cleaner" -.-