ATLP Prefab V2 Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:03 PM
UA9 SH-AWD

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
ATLP Prefab V2 Muffler

Has anyone on here installed the ATLP prefab muffler box to their 4th gen?

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/muffler-....muf.pair.html

Interested in getting this on my '13 SH-AWD since the AWD comes with a factory sporty exhaust set up. I'm looking to add that nice ATLP quad look, plus a nice mild exhaust tone to it paired with a J-pipe, and without getting a complete cat-back exhaust.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:55 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was interested in these as well, but I like the look of the stock rectangular tips on my '09.

I had a full ATLP catback on my 2000 TL and kind of grew out of the sound after a while. I loved it, but wished it was a little quieter towards the end of my ownership of the car.

I wonder how these would sound with the ATLP resonator and j-pipe attached as well.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:17 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
ATLP also offers a resonated version of the exhaust as well. I heard it was pretty quiet.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 PM
UA9 SH-AWD

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
@alexh1266 I like the quad tip on the 09 SH-AWD but I might as well upgrade it to something nice. That is what I want something somewhat quiet but yet sounds pretty damn sporty. That why I thought it would not be a bad idea keeping the stock piping and just adding these mufflers with a J-pipe to hopefully achieve a nice tone.

@ carbonTSEX Yes I saw that, but it's out of what I want to spend on a system, so I figured if it might be a good idea to add a J-pipe with the ATLP mufflers to see if I can achieve a nice and tolerable exhaust note with added horsepower from the J-pipe.

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
ATLP also offers a resonated version of the exhaust as well. I heard it was pretty quiet.
Originally Posted by alexh1266
I was interested in these as well, but I like the look of the stock rectangular tips on my '09.

I had a full ATLP catback on my 2000 TL and kind of grew out of the sound after a while. I loved it, but wished it was a little quieter towards the end of my ownership of the car.

I wonder how these would sound with the ATLP resonator and j-pipe attached as well.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Does anyone have these on their car? If so, how do they sound when compared to stock? I just want a little noise when I stomp on it but also no drone when cruising. It looks like a lot of people on here have been running either the borla or magnaflow mufflers and they sound nice.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:01 PM
zmt
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm interested in this too. From what I've seen it sounds like a lot of the drone in these cars is caused by changing/removing the stock resonators, so if you keep them and just change the back boxes you'll probably not have a terribly different sound from stock.

I'm probably ultimately going to end up with a J-pipe and ATLP mufflers on my otherwise stock exhaust, so if no one can find sound clips of a similar setup I can probably provide some, but it might not be for a while. Until then I'd love to hear anyone else's setup that's similar!
Old 04-15-2017, 06:51 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by illistik
Does anyone have these on their car? If so, how do they sound when compared to stock? I just want a little noise when I stomp on it but also no drone when cruising. It looks like a lot of people on here have been running either the borla or magnaflow mufflers and they sound nice.
Not many, if any have installed just the ATLP mufflers probably due to price in comparison with mangafloe and borla mufflers.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Do you plan to weld these up yourself? That additional labor at a shop may put it very close to what a catback cost and you still have the concern of fitment. Additionally it's more difficult to revert to stock if you plan to sell the vehicle or the mufflers themselves. If you buy a catback, you could recover some of the cost by selling the stock setup making your total cost less than what the set of mufflers are. Just some things to consider. If they were a couple hundred less it would be a much easier decision.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rancher2005:
carbonTSEX (04-16-2017), csmeance (04-17-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Advanced

These are all good points. I did some more research and I'll probably end up getting the ATLP V2 J-Pipe and call it a day. It probably won't do much in terms of the noise, but at least I'll get some gains out of it.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:22 PM
zmt
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rancher2005
Do you plan to weld these up yourself? That additional labor at a shop may put it very close to what a catback cost and you still have the concern of fitment. Additionally it's more difficult to revert to stock if you plan to sell the vehicle or the mufflers themselves. If you buy a catback, you could recover some of the cost by selling the stock setup making your total cost less than what the set of mufflers are. Just some things to consider. If they were a couple hundred less it would be a much easier decision.
I managed to score some ATLP mufflers for pretty cheap, so I'll still be well under a catback cost even after installation. I recognize that's not everyone's situation though. My plan right now is to have the exhaust shop cut and weld some flanges so going back to stock is just a bolt-on affair. We'll see how it goes. I also plan on getting a J-pipe soon so I'll hopefully be able to comment on how all of the changes affect sound levels and performance (if any).
Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 PM
zmt
Cruisin'

So I've had the mufflers on for a few days now. From what I can tell, the car is definitely louder with the exhaust, but it's almost unnoticeable with the windows up. There's a bit of artificially bassy volume at low revs, and some slight resonance ~2k RPM with lots of load (I wouldn't even call it drone). I'm guessing this isn't too different from the full resonated setup. At full chat though, especially north of 5k RPM the car just sounds amazing. It's a nice balance to the relatively large amount of induction noise you get with the stock setup. I'm really happy with it, but I'd probably be equally happy with the full resonated ATLP catback.

So, if you're in the situation where you can score some of their mufflers for cheap, I say go for it! They sound good!

Photographic evidence:
The following 4 users liked this post by zmt:
carbonTSEX (05-05-2017), echodigital (04-17-2018), illistik (05-08-2017), Rancher2005 (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Looks good as always with ATLP! Any chance of a sound clip for comparison purposes to the full cat-back?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:36 PM
zmt
Cruisin'

I would if I had the equipment! I might do a lame cell phone video one day, but it would just be no-load revving and idle as I don't have a gopro and mount.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 AM
Advanced

Thanks for sharing! They look great on the car. During normal city driving 1.5k to 3k rpms, would you say it is quite similar to stock with perhaps a little more throatiness?
Old 05-08-2017, 12:42 PM
zmt
Cruisin'

I don't know that I would use the word "throaty." It's very deep sounding at low revs (sub 3k). Which is where I think some of the resonance comes from, the frequencies generated by the mufflers are so low that more of it is transmitted to the cabin. That seems to subside above 2k.

Listen to the startup and deceleration as the car in this vid slows down. you can hear how the lower frequencies increase in volume and even start to clip with their recording equipment. That's predominantly what I hear at normal throttle and load conditions, like when commuting, but probably quieter as the rest of my setup is stock.

I'll try to get some clips in the next few days. I drove my jeep today so no videos of the TL.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ZMT, how are the ATLP Muffers?? Looking for a good review (since you have had them for a year or so). Any comments Pros/Cons??

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:58 AM
zmt
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Cdn_Aspec
ZMT, how are the ATLP Muffers?? Looking for a good review (since you have had them for a year or so). Any comments Pros/Cons??

Thanks.
I still feel about how I did in my comments above. Windows up, it's just a bit louder than stock, windows down it can get kinda boomy in the cabin, especially at lower revs. If I could re-design them from a sound standpoint, I'd aim for something less "deep" sounding, and something that allowed more of the natural character of the engine to come through. They're not bad though, and if you're used to that tuner-kind of sound it'll probably be right up your alley. They also don't seem to get any louder, and at least seem quieter as revs climb. It sounds great near redline, but the J series is just a good sounding motor.

I should add that I have a catless J-pipe now as well, which really didn't change the sound at the exhaust that much. I hear more of a raspiness from the middle section of the exhaust but that's expected (and appreciated).