2012 driving in S mode (at)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 driving in S mode (at)

Just curious and yeah I know I can get it in tmr and try it while on my way to work but anyone know if you drive the 2012 sh awd in S mode if it shifts for you before redline or if this mode is entirely depended on you to use the paddles? Every time I drive it in S mode I use the paddles but a few other posts here lead me to believe I could leave it in S and let the Auto tranny does its thing on its own but just much higher in the rpm range than in D. I know in either mode you can use the paddles but curious if you have to in S. also curious if it's bad in some way for the car if you leave in in S and don't use the paddles ( assuming it shifts on its own).

Y know a day ago I passed a guy in hi sdriveway washing his 12 shawd advance (elite here in Canada) and it was black. I got the dark grey. F me I should have gotten the black ! And mt! Love the car but wife needs to drive it here and there and I have enuf kids that I need some forgivenesss with scratches. My trade in 08 oil burner 4 cyl accord was black and when I dropped it off the car was as scratched up as I'm sure the cylinder walls were.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the same car and it will shift for you but at higher rpms (roughly 4500 or so). I also think the transmission remembers your driving style and how aggressive you are and will adjust accordingly. More aggressive and it shifts later...less aggressive and it shifts earlier. Once you use the paddle shifters in s mode you must continue to use them to shift or you will stay in that gear all the way to red line. I hope this helps.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackson94526
I have the same car and it will shift for you but at higher rpms (roughly 4500 or so). I also think the transmission remembers your driving style and how aggressive you are and will adjust accordingly. More aggressive and it shifts later...less aggressive and it shifts earlier. Once you use the paddle shifters in s mode you must continue to use them to shift or you will stay in that gear all the way to red line. I hope this helps.
Got it. Thx.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
I have the 2012 TL FWD, and it does -not- shift for me. It redlines, and stays there. (I was so used to my Camry auto-shifting at high-RPM). The only time it shifts for me (if I remember correctly) is 1st to 2nd.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Then the TL has a better designed "sport" mode.

The driver should have full control in selecting the desired gear in "sport" mode. Otherwise, if even the "sport" mode changes gear by itself, then the driver will have no means to hold a particular gear for maximum control.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Then the TL has a better designed "sport" mode.

The driver should have full control in selecting the desired gear in "sport" mode. Otherwise, if even the "sport" mode changes gear by itself, then the driver will have no means to hold a particular gear for maximum control.
Tried it, it's kind of neat. It holds the first gear but max 3300 rpm. U get thru it quick and with no paddle shifting it holds the rest to 4500 rpm. When u get to 80km and cant go faster bc of traffic the engine speed actually pushes you back like a mt. However unlike a mt u can't throw it in neutral for a minute or switch to the next gear (if u do with the paddles then you have to use the paddles from that point fwd until you reset it by shifting back to d). The engine gets noisy that high and it's find when driving to he next gear but just maintaining at that high an rpm is a mpg killer.

All in, best for short bursts.