Will burned DVD-Audios work in the 4G TL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will burned DVD-Audios work in the 4G TL?

When I had my 3G TL, I borrowed a DVD-Audio from a friend to see if I could successfully burn it on a dual layer DVD. (Beatles Love-the Cirque du Soleil soundtrack, which is really amazing if you are a Beatles fan. It is totally re-mixed.)

The good news is it played flawlessly on my 2005 TL's ELS 5.1 system. But the bad news is that it won't play on my 2012 TL's ELS 5.1 system. All my store bought DVD-Audios work just fine on the 4G system. So i don't know if the DVD is now bad for some reason (not very likely), or if there is a difference in the new system that is preventing the DVD from reading (which is my presumption.)

So I am wondering if anyone else has had any success burning store-purchased DVD-Audios onto dual layer DVDs and playing them in their 4G TL's 5.1 system.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Yes, it should work. I've had trouble finding DVD-A's in my neck of the woods, and having bought my 4G used, the "sample" disc that should have come with the car was gone. To try it out, I downloaded and burned a couple of discs, and they both worked beautifully. Perhaps too well. One of them was a Britney Spears disc (not sure which one, as track names / album info doesn't come up)...it sounds so good, I've been listening to it over and over.

I am ashamed.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 146 Posts
I too have a 2012 SH AWD/TL/Tech
It should work
My Pink Floyd DSOTM, Wish You were Here, & the Wall, are ALL burned DVD/A's
Granted, I didn't burn them, but they all sound great; as well as my Layla/DVD/A
IMOSOTM is my reference disc, bootleg, or otherwise. Sounds AMAZING!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced

Thanks gents......that is good news. i think i will "re-borrow" the Beatles DVD-A and re-burn it and see what if it will play. BTW, i had no idea that Pink Floyd had issued DVD-Audios of those classics. I need to get my hands on those.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Advanced

CPR what was your source for the PF DVD-As? did you find them on a torrent site or borrow them from someone?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
D4S, I think I already invited you to join our Mo/Kan TL Social Group, but just in case, you can click on my link from my signature below.

Plus, please join us for our National Meet on June 9th and 10th (also see the link below). We really need some 4G representation at the Meet!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 146 Posts
The guy that made them 4 me, used to be on this site
He's in California
Don't know how or where he gets his source material, but the price is right,
and DSOTM may be the best sounding DVD/A, EVER! ( I own at least 30 of them)
It's definitely reference quality
BTW: PF NEVER released DVD/A's; DSOTM was a Quad Alan Parsons disc, that this guy converted. Don't know he he made the other Floyd DVD/A's, or Layla, but they all sound good
Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Damn, that makes me want it even more!! I have no idea how a person would convert a quad disc to a dvd-a. Too bad you can't make copies and market it on EBAY. might get you in trouble, but you'd make some serious cash in the meantime. not that i would ever recommend such a thing.

I thought i would provide an update on the topic of downloading and burning DVD-Audios since they are becoming more and more rare and more expensive. (My Led Zeppelin live DVD-Audio is going for about $700 new on Amazon).

i reburned the Beatles Love DVD-A after borrowing it again, and it worked great.......the first time. After that i have been getting a focus error again.

But here is the good news..............i found the Pink Floyd DSOTM and WYWH 5.1s that CPR referred to on all the torrent sites and was able to download both and burn them to DVD+R discs. Holy shit. these were never released as DVD Audio discs by Pink Floyd but they are incredible. I thought i knew every sound on those CDs but boy was I ever wrong.

As CPR indicated they are reference quality.

I am downloading Queen's a night at the opera as we speak. I was never a big Queen fan, but i have heard that particular "album" takes advantage of the 5.1 mixing of DVD-Audio better than any other rock release. So i figured what the heck.

In case anyone wants to know, i am using DVD Decrypter to write to disc after downloading the torrent onto the hard drive.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-20-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
yes burn cd's will work, but it cannot be mp3 format
Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPR
....and DSOTM may be the best sounding DVD/A, EVER! ( I own at least 30 of them)
It's definitely reference quality
Agreed. The opening "cash" sound of "Money" is unreal in the TL's Surround.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know how I can burn fleet wood Mac rumors on DVD audio.
I made 2 disc and they both play for 30 seconds and then stop.
I know it has to do with the water mark but I don't know how to solve this.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6rapporti
Does anyone know how I can burn fleet wood Mac rumors on DVD audio.
I made 2 disc and they both play for 30 seconds and then stop.
I know it has to do with the water mark but I don't know how to solve this.
Don't know the answer to the question, but that would be a great disc to have. Missed out on an auction for a used copy a little while back.

I get the same problem with my version of Foreigner 4...each track just plays about 10 or 20 seconds, then it's more like Depeche Mode ("Enjoy the Silence").