Why don't DVD-Videos play in car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Why don't DVD-Videos play in car?

I drove my (wife's) 2012 TL today and tried to play some DVD-videos. Much to my surprise it does not play them. This is my fifth car with a DVD player - 04 TL, 06 Infiniti M45, 08 Cadillac CTS and 10 Lexus GS350. This is the first one, including the 04 TL, that does not play them. All the rest play them just fine. What a serious disappointment in that I bought all of them primarily to play in the car.

I guess the good news is that the Lexus is still my daily driver and it plays all of them.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
considering that the 04TL didnt have a DVD-Video player, I'm assuming the 4G is the same.

the 04TL has DVD-Audio player.
will not play DVD-Video.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Considering it's illegal in most (if not all) states to play a DVD in the driver's view, I would be amazed that the Lexus does. My comrade above speaks the truth as well.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NWSTL
Considering it's illegal in most (if not all) states to play a DVD in the driver's view, I would be amazed that the Lexus does. My comrade above speaks the truth as well.
They don't play on the screen when the car is moving. All of my other cars with DVD players will play them. You guys missed the point. I'm not talking about watching movies, I'm talking about music videos. My 04 TL played some of the ones that will not play in my new car. If I stop, put the cars in park and the parking brake on they will show on the screen.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I don't know why Acura does this either. I would love to play (listen to) some of my music DVD's (concerts and such) but no can do. I did a complete audio replacement in my 3G to a Kenwood that DID play DVD.

Trying to save us from ourselves, I guess
Old 07-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by jjsC5
They don't play on the screen when the car is moving. All of my other cars with DVD players will play them. You guys missed the point. I'm not talking about watching movies, I'm talking about music videos. My 04 TL played some of the ones that will not play in my new car. If I stop, put the cars in park and the parking brake on they will show on the screen.
no, the 04TL does not have a dvd-video player.
It does indeed have a dvd-audio player, where you can play DVD-A's.

The only way to play movies would be to buy a dvd2nav converter.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace
no, the 04TL does not have a dvd-video player.
It does indeed have a dvd-audio player, where you can play DVD-A's.

The only way to play movies would be to buy a dvd2nav converter.
Ok, let's forget the 04 TL for just a minute. EVERY other car I've had with DVD-A capability will play DVD VIDEO's. I listen to music videos in my cars all the time. If Infiniti, Cadillac and Lexus - just to name the ones I've owned, can do it why can't Acura? This is the same Acura that supposedly prides itself on having the most "techy" electronics in the business.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Because you can't.
The following users liked this post:
Reorge (07-04-2019)
Old 07-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Ok, let's forget the 04 TL for just a minute. EVERY other car I've had with DVD-A capability will play DVD VIDEO's. I listen to music videos in my cars all the time. If Infiniti, Cadillac and Lexus - just to name the ones I've owned, can do it why can't Acura? This is the same Acura that supposedly prides itself on having the most "techy" electronics in the business.
Seems like you bought the wrong car.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Because it is illegal unless in park.

I'd rather have my money spent on something I can use while driving.

And on the DVD videos working on stock systems, thats aftermarket unless it is a rear entertainment system.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry guys, I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall on this one. None of you seem to comprehend that I'm not interested in watching movies, I'm interested in listening to DVD music that just happens to be a video. Nor do you seem to comprehend my point that every other car with DVD audio has this capability.

As to the guy who said I bought the wrong car, am I not allowed to A) vent my frustration B) inquire in case I'm missing a way to play them C) point it out to other potential users?

I expected more from the Acura forum given the tech rich nature of the car. I see I was wrong. From now on I'll keep my questions and comments to myself. But thanks for playing
JohnnyBeGood1 (06-26-2019)
Old 07-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Because it is illegal unless in park.

I'd rather have my money spent on something I can use while driving.

And on the DVD videos working on stock systems, thats aftermarket unless it is a rear entertainment system.
A) Has it not occurred to you that you can listen to the music without being able to watch the concert?

B) You think it's BS - Would you publicly apologize to me if I post a picture of my Lexus system playing an actual video on the factory unit? Yes - it has to be in park - I've already pointed that out. My Cadillac and Infiniti did it as well and they were not aftermarket units, and none of them are "rear entertainment" systems either.

Do your homework before telling people on the forum they are full of B.S.
JohnnyBeGood1 (06-26-2019)
Old 07-03-2011, 06:46 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD player

I had the same question, but it does appear to be a way to modify the DVD function by aftermarket device? Would this likely void any warranty?
Old 06-26-2019, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry guys, I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall on this one. None of you seem to comprehend that I'm not interested in watching movies, I'm interested in listening to DVD music that just happens to be a video. Nor do you seem to comprehend my point that every other car with DVD audio has this capability.

As to the guy who said I bought the wrong car, am I not allowed to A) vent my frustration B) inquire in case I'm missing a way to play them C) point it out to other potential users?

I expected more from the Acura forum given the tech rich nature of the car. I see I was wrong. From now on I'll keep my questions and comments to myself. But thanks for playing
Im with you buddy. I asked a simple question on here and got ignorant responses. These people ARE NOT EXPERTS OR MECHANICS. Just google it elsewhere and go with the majority who gives pretty much the same answer...then evaluate. Better...you can contact Acura/Honda directly and ask a QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN. Thats what i did. Good luck my man.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
OP is correct that some manufacturers offer DVD (vid) playback in their stock systems. Those systems cut out when the vehicle is taken out of park. A friend was going to give me his DVD-A's when he replaced his TL, but discovered he can listen to them in his new, Mark Levinson system. BUT, he can only do so in park. If I'm given the choice between being able to watch videos when parked in my car, or listen to DVD Audio while moving, I'll always take the latter. Perhaps if my wife ever kicked me out and I had to live in the TL, I'd change my mind.

I'm not sure where OP got the impression that Acura prides itself on being "techy"; Acura's tech is typically 5-8 years behind most everyone else (Kia, for example).

All that said, I'm surprised there are still people watching music videos. I thought that pretty much died with "Friday Night Videos" back in the 90's.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
OP is correct that some manufacturers offer DVD (vid) playback in their stock systems. Those systems cut out when the vehicle is taken out of park. A friend was going to give me his DVD-A's when he replaced his TL, but discovered he can listen to them in his new, Mark Levinson system. BUT, he can only do so in park. If I'm given the choice between being able to watch videos when parked in my car, or listen to DVD Audio while moving, I'll always take the latter. Perhaps if my wife ever kicked me out and I had to live in the TL, I'd change my mind.

I'm not sure where OP got the impression that Acura prides itself on being "techy"; Acura's tech is typically 5-8 years behind most everyone else (Kia, for example).

All that said, I'm surprised there are still people watching music videos. I thought that pretty much died with "Friday Night Videos" back in the 90's.
He may be referring to concert DVDs. I have many I'd like to rip the 5.1 audio tracks from and burn DVD Audio discs, but seems like too much hassle.