What's wrong with my Sirius-XM tuner ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with my Sirius-XM tuner ??

Before the TL, we had a 2010 A4 with sirius. Never missed a beat going through the hills, around town or down in the valleys in our area... Never.

Now when we head down to the lake for the weekend, during our 45 minutes drive, I'd say we're without any signal for a total of at least 5 minutes... It constantly miss.

But why? Same freaking satellite! Same road. Same type of car. Have you guys had any issues with yours? I'm beginning to wonder about a disconnected antenna or something. It's pathetic
Old 06-15-2014, 03:10 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Yes the XM radio cuts out on mine every once in awhile depending on location. But not 5 minutes. More like 5-10 seconds.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

should've mentioned - it's 5 minutes total during our 45min drive. We're rarely more than 15 seconds at a time without signal... but it shuts off constantly.

Last edited by lockeed; 06-15-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do a search on here for srius xm reception. Someone did a great tutorial with pics a while back on how to fix the antenna reception issue..
Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Cruisin'

Thx. I'll continue looking but for now, nothing. If you got a link, please post it.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Search the general 4g forum it's there.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but. . .

We have not had reception problems with Sirius on our 2012 TL until very recently. I am in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles and my wife and I have experienced signal losses several times now in the last week or so in areas where we never had a problem before. Sometime you expect it (like under a freeway overpass) but this has also happened in certain locations on the main boulevard where things are wide open.

Is there something that could be going wrong with the antenna or is is more likely an issue with Sirius?

If this has been discussed previously can you point to a thread that might have explanation or resolution?

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I added an after market antenna to my 09 TL base to solve the reception problems.

See my thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...solved-889293/
Old 11-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rebmem
I added an after market antenna to my 09 TL base to solve the reception problems.

See my thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...solved-889293/
Yeah--I did come across your thread and it looked more involved than I wanted to get into at this point. How long does it take to go through the process you illustrated?

What I was trying to find out though in my post was whether it was odd or normal that reception characteristics would somehow change. Since we never had a problem before, I found it odd that we are suddenly finding occasional random slight reception dropouts. These always occur at the same locations and I was wondering if somehow the problem can be at the Sirius transmission end of things versus the car's reception.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:42 AM
Intermediate

What I was trying to find out though in my post was whether it was odd or normal that reception characteristics would somehow change. Since we never had a problem before, I found it odd that we are suddenly finding occasional random slight reception dropouts. These always occur at the same locations and I was wondering if somehow the problem can be at the Sirius transmission end of things versus the car's reception.
I don't think you will get a definitive answer on your problem.
I understand your concern that your FM reception has weakened.
My reception has been constant for at least the past 2 years. My hunch is you have an issue within your car and not with the transmission signal. These cars have plenty of FM receiver/antenna issues as you will find if you do a bunch of google searches.

How long to install an aftermarket antenna? I can't say. How handy are you with that sort of thing? When I did mine I spent a lot of time figuring it all out and taking pics etc. With my tutorial in the "XM Reception Solved Thread" I could now do it in probably 2-3 hours.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

What I was trying to find out though in my post was whether it was odd or normal that reception characteristics would somehow change. Since we never had a problem before
How bad do you want to restore your XM reception?
Go on ebay and buy another FM receiver and aftermarket antenna then tear into it. I think your problem is either the receiver or the antenna. Or perhaps a little of both.........
Old 11-22-2015, 01:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rebmem
How bad do you want to restore your XM reception?
Go on ebay and buy another FM receiver and aftermarket antenna then tear into it. I think your problem is either the receiver or the antenna. Or perhaps a little of both.........

Not that badly. The cut-outs are maybe for a few seconds and mostly where expected such as under a freeway overpass. I just thought it odd that I started getting few-second cutouts on the streets (still relatively rare) but the one that is noticeable is always at the same intersection (busiest one in the San Fernando Valley) and there are a couple of buildings around. That is what led me to believe that it is something going on at the transmission end rather than the receiver.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I had issues with crappy XM reception especially when East on highway. I always thought it was satellite being low in sky or something. Well, after reading about antenna or head replacement, I decided to check antenna. I pulled down rear seat light and found antenna wire. Not easy to reach, but I got to connector and unplugged and re-plugged. AMAZING how I had good reception for about 1 week, but then it went to hell again. I decided to get a new antenna from AcuraPartsWarehouse.com part number 39150-TK-AO1ZG which was Palladium color and I replaced it a couple of weeks ago (all through the ceiling light headliner hole).

Folks, IT IS ROCK SOLID RECEPTION now and here's the bet part....the sound quality is TOTALLY better. I've got such better sound I can't believe how long I've been listening to crappy XM.

Hope this helps others.

Greg H.