Weather/Radar Nav Display

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weather/Radar Nav Display

About a month ago I added the Traffic & Weather (from XM) to appear on the nave screen (2010TL).

I find that the Weather screen may not be operating properly. The following are seen as anomalies:

(1) When initially accessed, only the map appears --- no radar info even if storms are in the area.

(2) Going back, and re-accessing the Weather screen, the radar information is usually displayed (along with map). Sometimes this "normal" screen may require yet another attempt before success.

(3) When the radar information appears to display normally for my immediate area, the information overlay abruptly ceases beyond a sharp vertical divide --- so far, this sharp vertical cessation of radar info has been seen to lie only miles to the east of my physical location.

Does anyone know whether these anomalies are due to a problem in the TL's nav system, or are they a problem with XM's data?

Solution?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^I've had some issues with my traffic. See my thread on Missing info;

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-294/missing-traffic-info-788659/

Will PM you additional details.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
^I've had some issues with my traffic. See my thread on Missing info;

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788659

Will PM you additional details.
Hi Marco...

I read through all of your travails (above link) with Nav Traffic on the 2009TL.

From all appearances, what you describe has to be a problem with the TL's Nav receiver. XM is clearly sending the info since it appears on your wife's Nav unit in the RDX!

I'm continuing to hope someone can help with my weather display. Traffic seems to be working well, however!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Both are worthless and innaccurate.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by john94si
The more I drive, the less I use it. It's certainly not worth the money.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by nhester
Hi Marco...

I read through all of your travails (above link) with Nav Traffic on the 2009TL.

From all appearances, what you describe has to be a problem with the TL's Nav receiver. XM is clearly sending the info since it appears on your wife's Nav unit in the RDX!

I'm continuing to hope someone can help with my weather display. Traffic seems to be working well, however!
Good point! I was told that the units are from different manufactures and that is why the RDX is receiving the info. BWTFK’s
Old 09-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
my radar wont show anythig but the map - until the car has been running some 5 or 10min - needs time to update - then its fine -

what I find its thats its just not detailed enough to be of much use.

almost any weather app on a smart phone will give more info - esp if it shows motion - giving you an indication of the direction of a storm - the lack of motion and detail are the 2 main draw backs to the radar feature
Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crxb
my radar wont show anythig but the map - until the car has been running some 5 or 10min - needs time to update - then its fine -

what I find its thats its just not detailed enough to be of much use.

almost any weather app on a smart phone will give more info - esp if it shows motion - giving you an indication of the direction of a storm - the lack of motion and detail are the 2 main draw backs to the radar feature
I'm a bit unsure whether "time to update" is the issue.

However, I've never been patient enough to wait... although, I suppose that may work.

I find that I can get the radar information by repeatedly depressing "Enter". But, the radar map may still be blank beyond a specific longitude.

I've not yet subjected the weather display to a critical test, but I suspect that its value may not be much more than that of a toy!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by john94si
i agree totally....and its not like your really getting weather radar, your just getting whatever information xm wants you to have and presents it to you in a radar like appearence...not to mention, you just cant zoom in on it enough...

now if you were able to see "real time" radar on your moving map, and have it zoomed in where it could be usefull, then it would be cool...otherwise, when my free 3 month trial runs out, i will only be using xm radio...
Old 09-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Advanced

My experience with the Nav/Weather feature (first described at top of thread on 09-12-2010) will be restated... hopefully, with greater clarity:

(1) This display anomaly begins anew whenever the receiver is turned on. This applies even if a "perfect" weather display was available just moments earlier. It makes no difference whether the engine is running or the TL is only in "accessory mode".

(2) When first accessed, the weather display is always incomplete! The background map, however, always appears.

(3) With each "double enter," the map incrementally displays more and more of the available radar detail. It may take upwards of 20 "double enters" before all of the available radar information is displayed!

(4) Only when the display is actually complete will you see at the bottom: "Updated at: ****" If the time stamp does not appear, the displayed radar information remains incomplete!

(5) Once a full display is achieved, it is not updated dynamically! To see the latest map, one needs to "double enter".

Are there any 2010TL-Tech owners who do not experience this frustration? (Of course, the weather info does not appear if it is not part of the XM subscription.)

This issue will be addressed on October 6 by my local dealer.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Instructor

All I can tell you is that the radar data as displayed is not dynamic. It's static as of the timestamp. In order to refresh the data you have to exit the radar map and go back in and hope an update has been received in that time.

Personally, I gave up on the traffic and radar and didn't renew it after the trial ran out. I do like that information, but it's not accurate enough or updated frequently enough to be useful. Checking Google Maps or a weather app on my phone is muuuch more useful and completely free. I truly believe everything about XM's service is crap. The music quality is crap (as are the options) and the traffic and weather data is crap. And the pricing? Craptastic!

That said, I can understand your interest in at least having these features work as advertised... you just have to do the rationalization, is all this time and effort worth the return you expect to get from XM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Safety Car

if it was "real time" weather radar, it would be on the moving map...then i would pay for it...
Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After using the weather radar for 4 weeks. I be driving in pouring rain, i look at the radar and there 1 blue dot on the screen. This is really poor and I think this is 16.99 (might be getting the prices mixed up) a month, which even 1.99 is too high for this crap. They should be able to get the radar AND traffic via local radio signals from stations instead of needing to rely on XM. If Acura was leading edge... Then the ford Sync would be in the Acura... never mind.. just mumbling as I continue to see cars with much better systems for much less.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Safety Car

just so we dont all beat up acura too bad on the xm weather...i doubt anyone else makes a system any better....its just a useless add on