Technology Package Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technology Package Failure

I have a 2010 TL that was purchased new in March. The same day, I had the windows tinted and a Valentine One radar detector professionally installed. In brief, I have recently had the unfortunate shutdown/failure of my entire Nav/Radio package, no display, hands free communication inoperative (blue-tooth shows paired on phone), and both cigarette lighter ports are dead.

Of course the dealership is putting blame on the "third-party" installation as the culprit. My problem started out as intermittant two weeks ago, but now it appears to be permanent. Hope they don't try to void my warranty before trying to find out the real issue that is taking place here.

Any ideas, or similar problems? I welcome some input.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The Dealer could be right??

Originally Posted by flyby390
I have a 2010 TL that was purchased new in March. The same day, I had the windows tinted and a Valentine One radar detector professionally installed. In brief, I have recently had the unfortunate shutdown/failure of my entire Nav/Radio package, no display, hands free communication inoperative (blue-tooth shows paired on phone), and both cigarette lighter ports are dead.

Of course the dealership is putting blame on the "third-party" installation as the culprit. My problem started out as intermittent two weeks ago, but now it appears to be permanent. Hope they don't try to void my warranty before trying to find out the real issue that is taking place here.

Any ideas, or similar problems? I welcome some input.

Thanks
I think the good news is the fact that the cigarette lighter port is dead.. This tells me a power issue that feeds this part of the car. Assuming it is nor something simple like a FUSE, one would have to ask where the installer got power for your radar detector? If he cut the wire and then used wire nuts to put it back together that might be it, but that is a VERY POOR way to intercept power wires. The correct way is to Peel back the insulation, wrap the new wire around the copper, and SOLDER it in place and then tape it or if you can bend it right, heat shrink it.. that way you never CUT any wires... So the Dealer could be correct, but hard to tell! Please do come back and tell us what they found.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:33 PM
OMGTHEDONNY

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
The only thing I herd with TINT that can be even remotely related is..

Some tint has magnetic/metal fibers or whatever in it - so getting that type of tint can cause some interference with satellite related stuff taffic/xm/weather/nav

but thats the only thing even remotely related. not saying that is your problem because like noted above sounds to be different since other things are dead. but if the dealer trys to tell u shit tell them fuck you! I know what tint can cause and this is not the same
Old 12-03-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
sounds like the valentine 1 installer fucked something up.