Renew XM Radio for $77 or less for 12 months, Part 7

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
Guys, you can disregard my previous posts! I called XM today and suffice it to say I didn't even have to use the script.

As others pointed out before, the 1st person you talk to is no help and I actually spoke with two separate CSR's one who gave me a cock n bull story about how you can't cancel your subscription till the day before automatic renewel and I was like that is BS. So, I called the number she gave me about canceling.

Once I spoke to the retention department everything went smoothly on the deal. I didn't have to use the script. All I kept telling them was how I got my renewal letter and I wanted to not renew each radio and cancel them on the renewal dates listed. She felt bad and right off the bat offered me the $88 bucks (subscript + fees) for 1 yr of service on my one car. I told her that would be good but my second one was on lease that is going back in 6 months and my friend in a similar situation got some sort of 5 month ($20 some dollar) deal for XM. She told me that she could give me that on my second vehicle.

So I got the deal's on both cars but I was not happy still with the Royalty Fee. I gave her the I don't believe in this fee and that XM is only paying a fraction of what they are charging their customers and I would like the fee wavied. She hestiated and told me that they could not waive the fee so I asked if it could be reduced and so she said that we could do that. She knocked the royalty fee off the 1yr subscription and I only paid it for the 5 month deal on my second car!

It pays to bitch to say the least!!

So I got the $77 a yr on my one car total and $23.05 for the 5 month subscription on my second car! Plus, I forgot to mention, I didn't even ask for this but she said b/c I complained about the price of the subscription and I had a second vehicle on the account, she gave me another $12 off for the second vehicle being on.

They started each subscription today (nov 19th) and credited my account for the time left on my previous two 1 yr subscriptions on each car so I'm going to pay out of pocket $57.78 for 1yr on my one car and 5 months on my other!

Just goes to show you how much of a mark up their is on satellite radio. Basically, I saved over $200 dollars b/c of this thread and others on other forums for satellite radio. Thank you all so much!!!

Happy Listening!
That is the key. Once you call the cancellation dept they will almost do anything to keep your business. I had the number written down but I can't find it. Can you please post the number?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Perry
I just got a full year, including best of Sirius for $111.87 total. That was the first price she gave me, and I thought it was fair, so I didn't even argue it.
I would pay that as it includes The Best of Sirius...Howard Stern.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:00 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by vhdoshi
Besides getting the $77 deal, has anyone been able to get XM Radio online for free or at a discount for threatening to cancel.

Normally XM radio online is an extra $2.99/month (or $35.88 for a year).

Was wondering if anyone has had any luck in trying to get this for free, so I can use their app for free on my smart phone. Thanks !

Yesterday I called to cancel, the day before it was to be automatically renewed. I told the guy I wanted to cancel because I was no longer working (true, since I have been retired for 11 years). He immediately offered the 5 months for $23.05 and the free 5 months of XM online.
Thanks AcuraZine. You have saved me from paying the full price for several years now.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can someone help me in my situation please?

I bought my TL used...so I never had the XM subscription.

Somewhere on these boards I was told I could try a 3 month free subscription by calling and asking. After that is up I could get this $77 for a year deal.

However I have called the renewal line, the main number a couple of times and all the CSR's will not give me a free trial, preventing me from getting this renewal deal.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

That's weird. They should have given you a free trial. Did you make sure that you told them your bought the car used?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by duffduffxx
Can someone help me in my situation please?

I bought my TL used...so I never had the XM subscription.

Somewhere on these boards I was told I could try a 3 month free subscription by calling and asking. After that is up I could get this $77 for a year deal.

However I have called the renewal line, the main number a couple of times and all the CSR's will not give me a free trial, preventing me from getting this renewal deal.

Anyone have any advice?
Just recently bought a used 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD and called Xm and told them i just bought the car used and wanted to get the free 3 month trial. They said it was fine and i got Xm everything plus nav traffic and weather for three month free trial. Although I was initially calling to transfer my existing Xm from my old TL to my new TL so I was actually at the cancellation department. So I would actually call Xm up and ask for cancellation and mention 3 month free subscription. Hope that helps.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jaydm98
Just recently bought a used 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD and called Xm and told them i just bought the car used and wanted to get the free 3 month trial. They said it was fine and i got Xm everything plus nav traffic and weather for three month free trial. Although I was initially calling to transfer my existing Xm from my old TL to my new TL so I was actually at the cancellation department. So I would actually call Xm up and ask for cancellation and mention 3 month free subscription. Hope that helps.
Ill try it again with the cancellation department and report back. I think a lot of these CSR reps just dont know what they are talking about.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Just had a bad experience with XM, though it all worked out in the end. I didn't use the script - just called and told them I wanted to cancel my subscription because the renewel rate was too expense. They immediately patched me through to the cancellation department where I was offered the $77 + $11 royalty fee offer, as well as ~$48 for Nav/Weather. That sounded fine with me so I re-uped my subscription. Next thing I know, XM has charged $281 to my credit card! The first CSR was an idiot - she kept trying to explain to me why this was such a good deal. Needless to say, my frustration hit a boiling point and I informed here I make it easy for her - just cancel my servce! Luckily, she again moved me to the cancellation department I got to speak to someone who was very helpful. After I explained my situation, XM waived the Nav/Weather cost for the year, so I got the entire package for only $88. So a happy ending, I guess....
Old 11-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
This was on our 09 Ody as my 2010 TL is still on its trial subscription - For the 4th time in a row I was able to get the 5 months for $20 deal - no hassles. Just asked what promos they were running and was told this flat out. They also offered me the full year for $77 but by the time they added tax, etc the cost was over $100 so I took the other deal.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Just got mine renewed. 2nd year in a row! Thanks to this thread, called to say I didn't want to Auto renew and was patched through to the cancellation dept. They offered me the $77 for one yr and sent the Bill in the mail! Thanks Azine!
Old 12-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Instructor

i just had my free trial in my 07 tls run out yesterday. i didn't have the auto renewal on. they called me today and said they were offering 6 months for $29.99. or basically $4.99 / month. so after taxes it was $33 for 6 months...not bad
Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 AM
07 ASM TL-S UA7Squad (49)

I had the same 29.99 offer 2 weeks ago and took it. It seems to be when you don't have auto renew on your account and let it expire they call and offer the 29.99
Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

When you wait until they call, do you get service interruptions until they call you?

I think my 1 year subscription expires next week.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
When you wait until they call, do you get service interruptions until they call you?

I think my 1 year subscription expires next week.
they called after my service was down for 1 day....after i hung up the phone my xm was back on in 10 min...
Old 12-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

I had 29.99$/7mo+tax+fee expiring on 15th Nov, I called to cancel auto renew and they offered me 5mo/20$ which I refused, I asked best of sirius along with 5mo XM everything which rep agreed to, I got all channels and everything was going fine till last week when XM supposedly upgraded their system and I lost Best of Sirius channels, I called and rep refused to add those with my package saying it's not possible, I told them multiple times about what previous rep offered me but she was rude and offered me to cancel service which I did, I then asked for supervisor which was another hillbilly basically telling me that I'm lying about my service, Made me super pissed, anyone had similar experience or they know any number to call or any email address where I can lodge complains and tell them to to train their rep not to lie in order for them to win customer back?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Is it better to let my trial expire then do this? I called (before I knew about this thread) and the years/multi-year fees were outrageous.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Just renewed a second year for $77 + $11 royalty fee. I didn't feel like arguing about the fee.

And BTW, if you do invoicing, they do not interrupt service the day after it expires. There's like a 30 day grace period where they are waiting for your payment in the mail.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:17 PM
7th Gear

I just renewed for $20+$2 royalty for 5 months. This is about the 4th time for this renewal. My last 5-month period expired and I forgot to call first, so they sent an invoice at the regular much higher price (I'm on an invoiced plan, not an auto-renew credit card plan). As usual, I told the first customer service rep I would rather cancel than pay the high rate, but (also as usual) they don't have the power to fix an issue like this and transferred me to the cancellation department. The second rep immediately offered the $20 package, easily canceled the old invoice and substituted the new package, no problem. Once you talk to the right person, it's easy.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
im bout to try this with my girls 2010 crv...her 3 month trial expires on the 24th
Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Ok folks this is what "I" got. XM everything with traffic and weather $110 for a year. Its a long story and I never want to go through it again. Long story short, went to renew. got doubled billed $156 and $110. After numerous calls, cussing, fussing, threats, they took off the $156. Pandora on my iphone will be my friend when my year is up.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Advanced

followed the script worked as advertised. 85.39 for one year.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
i just called the day after it expired...i didnt even have to say anything the lady just offered me the 77 dollar deal for the year
Old 12-25-2010, 01:00 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just called XM to cancel my subscription, which is due to expire tomorrow. When asked why I wanted to cancel, I told them I was unemployed again (pure BS). I got the 5 month package for $19.99 and got them to waive the music royalty fee. I also told them I did not want auto renew. The lady at the other end of the phone told me that I would get a paper invoice at the end of the 5-month period and I could decide then whether or not to continue XM service. We'll see what happens.

For those that are interested, the number to call for cancellation is 800-998-7900.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:30 PM
rec
Advanced

Originally Posted by acurallac
For those that are interested, the number to call for cancellation is 800-998-7900.
Thanks for the number. Got right into retention and made the process easier with much less waiting.

I mentioned the renewal rate was higher than my budget allowed. Rep looked at my history (seeing the years of $77 no doubt) and offered up $77/yr subject to royalty fees. I commented I was only in the car about 3 days a week and mostly listened to talk, sports, news and other non music stations and wasn't interested in paying an extra $11. He said that had been reduced to $8 and some change.

I declined and asked about the 5 month for $23.05 again. Put me on hold then came back and said they could make an exception. It would be effective today and not on the expiration renewal date which is in a few days, but they did give me a credit for those remaining days.

One of the easier renewals I've had lately.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I also renewed today at the same rate as last year, 77 plus royalties. The rep was very courteous. I didn't feel the need to hassle over a few bucks. Just relayed the fact that I can't afford the current rates & she offered me last years deal again. Wow, 3 years in a row!
BTW: I was given a different # to cancel.. 800-967-2346

Last edited by GeezerB; 12-28-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 PM
OH-4

bought my 04 back in august..used the phone # in the users guide under 'XM Radio'..it was all automated..gave them my radio ID and a minute later it was on..after 30 days it shut off..so i called the same number..got 30 more days..been doing that ever since..havent paid a penny..infact i have the number on speed dial..! the only thing is tho i get a basic version..but the boneyard is all i listen to anyway..never Stern or nfl..or nba..or mlb..or whatever..just the boneyard or hairnation..
Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM
7th Gear

Success

Thanks guys, worked like a charm. 77 + Royalty. I inquired about best of Sirius + Howard, and she said that wasn't included. But I could have it for another $20 or so, which I took. Total $110 including tax and best of. She said typically this would be over $200 yr.

Last edited by Crimson01; 12-31-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
is in Honda heaven

We're coming off of our 3 months free after buying CPO and they offered my wife yesterda $4.99 a month for 6mos. I don't think they mentioned the royalties yet though. So I'll have to talk to them myself.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Advanced

5 months for $23

I just called to cancel my XM Radio, and I was offered a 5 month $23 deal. I declined, and I was not offered anything else...
Old 01-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
xm radio / traffic / weather - anyone else?

I had the 5 mo of xm radio for $22 odd dollars.

It was due for renewal at the reg rate in Jan - I called and got the $22 again for 5 months. The next day I see my traffic and weather is gone. I call back and they said you cant bill the radio and the traff/weather separately anymore? I was paying some $20/Q for the traff/weath. To get the traff/weather back w/ the radio - the best offer I got was $60 for 6months for traff/weather/radio.

Anyone else work any deal for all three (traffic, weather, radio)?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:37 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
My current subscription was scheduled to expire tomorrow (1/9). I called the cancellation number yesterday morning and the only question I was asked is if I wanted to renew at my current rate or at the basic rate. I asked what the basic rate was, and was quoted something in the neighborhood of $164 and change. I asked her why would I want to renew at the basic rate if the $77 rate was still available. Her answer was a bit odd, but this is what I was told. She said that as long as I attempted to renew during the promotional period, I could still get the promotional rate ... and she even suggested that when it came time to renew next year to be sure to call before mu subscription expired to take advantage of the promotion rate (if it was still available). I even received a slight reduction (credit) to the fee to account for the two days that I lost by renewing prior to the end date. Either this is a new apporach by XM to retain customers, or something else odd is going on.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

I just now tried this script and it worked. I got 1 yr subscription for $77 + $8.00 (royalty fee). Sweet deal !!..thank you for posting this fellas !
Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Slythslyr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
worked two years in a row for me!!! Thanks
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aphmd
I just called to cancel my XM Radio, and I was offered a 5 month $23 deal. I declined, and I was not offered anything else...
Did you ask if there were any other offers? They offered me that first initially but then I asked if they had a longer plan. Gave me the $77 right after that.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Six Shifter
My current subscription was scheduled to expire tomorrow (1/9). I called the cancellation number yesterday morning and the only question I was asked is if I wanted to renew at my current rate or at the basic rate. I asked what the basic rate was, and was quoted something in the neighborhood of $164 and change. I asked her why would I want to renew at the basic rate if the $77 rate was still available. Her answer was a bit odd, but this is what I was told. She said that as long as I attempted to renew during the promotional period, I could still get the promotional rate ... and she even suggested that when it came time to renew next year to be sure to call before mu subscription expired to take advantage of the promotion rate (if it was still available). I even received a slight reduction (credit) to the fee to account for the two days that I lost by renewing prior to the end date. Either this is a new apporach by XM to retain customers, or something else odd is going on.
I think something is up as well..
Last year I had the $77 yr XM + $47.88 yr Traffic with auto renewal not turned on. A few weeks ago, I got an invoice from XM that did not list any details. The due date was listed as 1-8-11 for an amount of $92.96.
Thinking this was a strange amount, I called them and found out my last years subscription had run out. Asked them how many months the $92 covered and was told that covered only till 1-20-10!! and that since my subscription had run out, I was being charged a past due amount!!
Not so kind words started flowing out of my mouth!!!

So after trying to get me to pay full price, they offered the $77 + Royalty fees + taxes and dismissed the past due amount. I thought that was pretty good of them until I asked what about the $3.99/month traffic I had before. They said that due to changes that took place back in November, they could not offer the Traffic pkg with a promotional offer...the situation might change, but right now nobody, not even the president of XM can offer the deal. This is the craziest thing I have ever heard...I plan on calling back talking to some one else, to see if IO get the same B.S.
Any body else heard of such a thing?
p.s. sorry for the long post
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Instructor

Current subscription runs out next month. Got the $77 deal the last 4 years with varying ease and difficulty. Called to cancel (for real) and was offered $80 total for a year, $23 for 6 months and something else I can't remember. I never got to the discount offers so fast. XM was good in my 06 but my 2010 with an Ipod and the USB is more to my liking.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Instructor

5th year renewal in a row.... $77 plus 8.32 royalty fee. First person I talked to before she transferred tried to worry me by saying that if I canceled and then wanted to sign back up there would be a $15 reactivation fee. I said fine, she transfered me and I was offered the discount by the next representative.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:11 AM
10th Gear

Does anyone out there have the $20 for 5 months or $77/year promo WITH the Nav Traffic??

XM is now telling me (since Dec) that you can no longer get NavTraffic with a promo audio deal? (I did point out to them I had been doing this since I started with XM in 2007!). When they added the Nav Traffic (initially by accident) my radio was out of service until they could figure out what was wrong.

This is complete BS!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by psubill78
Does anyone out there have the $20 for 5 months or $77/year promo WITH the Nav Traffic??

XM is now telling me (since Dec) that you can no longer get NavTraffic with a promo audio deal? (I did point out to them I had been doing this since I started with XM in 2007!). When they added the Nav Traffic (initially by accident) my radio was out of service until they could figure out what was wrong.

This is complete BS!!!
check out last paragraph of post#276..same general thing

Last edited by scv76; 01-18-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: wrong post reference

Quick Reply: Renew XM Radio for $77 or less for 12 months, Part 7