Renew XM Radio for $77 or less for 12 months, Part 7

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just renewed a 12 month subscription for $55. They offered another 5 months at $23.05 (deal I was last using), which I stated I did not want to bother renewing in 5 months again. He then asked if I would take the same rate for 12 months...

He even rounded off the change to an even $55 for the year.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12 months for $55???!!!! Now that's a new number that I haven't seen before!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Do yourselves a HUGE favor and go to Wal Mart (or anywhere else that sells prepaid credit cards) and get one for your XM subscription. DONT USE YOUR REGULAR (personal) CREDIT CARD.

I got one last year for $95.00 and used it for my 77.00 one year subcription so XM wouldnt dick me and stick me with a renewal at their overinflated (12.99 mo) price the following year. They'll just charge it without asking - been there, done that.

The $95.00 took care of all the taxes etc.

Dont get the prepaid for too much more than you'll spend for the one year Sub. Most places (like Wal Mart ) charge $3.00 month for the card so They'll get the rest of the $$ on the card eventually. If you get more $$ on the card and dont use it, Wal Mart (or the card issuer) will suck it dry.

I might get a 100.00 card this year just to be safe (and in case XM has prices added another tax.).

Just want to be sure that you guys are still getting the $77.00 deal and that it hasn't gone up since last year. Still 77 right? Does anyone remember what the grand total was (77.00+ taxes etc)?

Last edited by woodek; 06-01-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Thumbs down

Arrgghh. XM customer service sucks.

After being put on hold, hung up on, etc. and finally getting through, I struck my deal for $77 (plus add-on for Traffic/Weather). Told them to bill me - didn't want to give them my card.

Got the invoice today. $77 + 11.78 "Royalty Fee" + 2 "Invoice Fee," none of which was discussed or disclosed. And no mention on the invoice of the Traffic/Weather.

I'm about done with these dolts. If they can't charge me what they said they would, they can turn it off. I have plenty of other entertainment options in my car.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD

After being put on hold, hung up on, etc. and finally getting through, I struck my deal for $77 (plus add-on for Traffic/Weather). Told them to bill me - didn't want to give them my card.

Got the invoice today. $77 + 11.78 "Royalty Fee" + 2 "Invoice Fee," none of which was discussed or disclosed. And no mention on the invoice of the Traffic/Weather.

I'm about done with these dolts. If they can't charge me what they said they would, they can turn it off. I have plenty of other entertainment options in my car.
I AGREE!!

I still have until september on my XM subscription for 2 cars. They have robbed me for $90 promising to credit my CC. I made an deal with American Express that will allow XM to credit my account but no charges will be allowed. None of the promised credits have occured.

Xm is just not worth the money or trouble and after having multiple radios since 2004, I won't bother to to renew. The TL has more ways to make muisc than anything on the road and XM isn't adding a thing.

I must say that XM has the worst customer service of any business I have ever delt with.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD

What's an "Invoice Fee"? I don't remember them charging me for that. It was $77 + Royalty Fee + Tax, somewhere around the $95 range for the year.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Unregistered User

Just tried to renew - previously was paying the $77/year. I simply called cancellations and told them I'm not paying $180/year when I just came off $77/year, not to mention my "friend" was getting 5 months @ $23!

She came back and gave me $19.99 for five months, but couldn't extend it any longer. Also said she could do $77 for a year ("It's a summer promo"). I took the 5 months @ $20. However, since I'm not due to expire for another month, she said she couldn't add it to my account. Need to call back a day or two before I expire and they'll do it - gave me her name and an activity ID. Then I'll call back in 5 months and do it again.

Can't wait to see the invoice to see what it REALLY costs with all the other fees they can try to add in.

FYI on the lifetime - I looked into that. It is NOT transferrable on any OEM radios, EVER, unless the radio itself is stolen (Didn't say anything about a stolen car.)
Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 PM
4th Gear

how much are the L/T plans going for currently?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced

well just reupped with them for one year at 77 dollars
Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 PM
08' WDP Type S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
got it first try at the 77$.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Instructor

New '07 RDX owner with no code.

I just bought my '07 RDX and there's no code. I'd like first to have trial with XM, Sirius, and weather. I wrote to them with my VIN.

Should I call them?

Is there a script for signing up for the first time? And to get all of the

Is there anything I can do to try them all, then, when the trial runs out, get a good deal for all 3? I

'm not sure why I want any of them except I like options. But I'm not likely to pay much for options I will seldom use.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Advanced

This worked perfectly! Much better than paying the 44.79/qtr!
Thanks AZ!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Instructor

3 months free trial XM

Okay. I'm now in the loop. I called them, and they are giving me a 3 month trial of XM and traffic.

So, I guess in September, I call and use the script.

BTW, they took no info except my name and snail address. Didn't ask for credit card info or anything.

I am to leave the car turned on to channel 1 so they can download info to the car.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
For future reference, Phineas, your radio ID is on Channel 0 on the radio. But you probably know that now since you are hooked up.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Xpditor
For future reference, Phineas, your radio ID is on Channel 0 on the radio. But you probably know that now since you are hooked up.
Thanks XP -- appreciate the info and the whole thread (s). I got to play for a while and it seems nifty. Family will have to drag me out of the car, I think <g>.

Pity I have to go outta town for a week via air.

Anyway, great info on here. How did people learn and survive before internet fora to help us out. Oh yeah. Neighbors.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to the Acurazine family, Neighbor. There's a wealth of information here for you and lots of new friends who share some of your interests.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Just called in asked to stop auto-renew. I was then transferred and asked why. I told them simply a price issue. The guy then said if it is a price issue we can lower the price. He offered me 71.67 for a year. I figured that was better than 142.45 plus 21.79.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I have the need for speed

Does the deal work for Sirius Radios too?

Has anyone tried to renew using a Sirius Radio instead? I've had success in renewing my XM radio in the past, but now I have a Sirius unit I want to renew and wanted to confirm the $77/yr deal here before I attempt to call Sirius/XM.

Thanks.

j
Old 06-29-2010, 06:54 PM
8th Gear

Worked for me. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wmahmud
Can I call in from Canada - give my radio ID, and get this plan from XM USA on my Canadian car??

Anyone tried or can advise?

I was wondering the same thing, I got 1 month remaining and they quoted me (on a special promotion that is) $107, regular 177, or something like that. So I might just go with the promotion deal...

Any other Canucks try getting the $77 deal?!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:28 PM
2010 SH AWD RDX

My 3 months expired today! I just called and read the script and received a year for $ 77 plus royalty fees $ 11. I had her bill me so she did not have my credit card #. Now...when do I cancel my service..a few days before the year is up? She told me that a year from now I would be billed for the original amount. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Beasting Off The Resling

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I am trying to decided if it is worth it for me to renew my subscription or not... i just recently bought my car and it came with 3 months for free but i'm not really sure it is all that better then the radio. As for the live traffic updates which i thought had the possibility of being a huge help in my commute, it is just ehh... it constantly displays every road as red even if i'm doing 75 the entire time i'm on the road in the middle of the day. So even at 77 bucks i'm having second thoughts. Any thoughts?
Old 07-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Beasting Off The Resling

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro4Ski
My 3 months expired today! I just called and read the script and received a year for $ 77 plus royalty fees $ 11. I had her bill me so she did not have my credit card #. Now...when do I cancel my service..a few days before the year is up? She told me that a year from now I would be billed for the original amount. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I would recommend canceling the month before its up, more often then not they will offer you a "last minute deal" which they give you another 4 months for about 25 bucks. Its a way of them keeping customers. So i would call the month before that way you tell them then you want it to start after your current subscription and you get 5 months for 25 bucks.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:10 PM
2010 SH AWD RDX

Originally Posted by mm492433
I would recommend canceling the month before its up, more often then not they will offer you a "last minute deal" which they give you another 4 months for about 25 bucks. Its a way of them keeping customers. So i would call the month before that way you tell them then you want it to start after your current subscription and you get 5 months for 25 bucks.
Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind when my year comes up. Thanks again!!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:49 PM
3rd Gear

First I have a question. Does anyone know why the search on acurazine doesn't work? I have to go to google to find this thread. I get no hits for xm radio in acurazine.

Anyway, I had purchased a used 2008 TL and my subscription just expired. I just called and got the $77 deal ($88 with taxes) on my first try. He didn't even want the coupon code. They do charge an extra $2 to send a paper invoice out instead of giving them a credit card number, but that is cheaper than the fee for a pre-paid credit card. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
10th Gear

Success! I just got the $77.00 rate on the first try.

I called listener care, and told them I received my auto-renewal notice and had to cancel, because the rate was too high. She tried a couple of times to sell me on the higher rate, then passed me to the "retention" rep. That rep looked up my account and immediately gave the $77.00 rate again. She did not mention the "royalty" fees, or any other fees. Almost sorry I didn't get to try out the "official" script! One thing to possibly add to it, tell them your wife (or husband) will absolutely not accept any higher payments for the service. It's worked several times for me. Sure, it makes me seem a little 'whipped, but for the cheaper rate it's worth it.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
JLS
Cruisin'

XM AND Best of Sirius deal

I've had the $77/yr plan for a few years - but canceled a few months back when they stopped offering a "best of sirius" add-on for that promotional rate.

Thought I'd check back in today (based on posts i've seen here and elsewhere on the internet) - and Success!

Called 800-347-0600, I tell the guy my friend has an XM and Best of Sirius package for @ $100/ year and that I'd be interested in rejoining if I could get that rate. He says he has to try to locate that plan and puts me on hold for a while - he comes back every couple minutes letting me know that he's still looking for it and wants to give it me (he sounds genuine so i stay on the line)

5 minutes later he's back, says it's a seldom used promotion, but he found it. He called it the Half Off XM and Best of Sirius promotion. It's about $100 per year, plus a royalty fee - bringing it up to $113 - plus any local taxes. Based on what i've read on other boards, I think that brings it up to about $118 / year.

Not a bad deal - I've been missing Stern so i'm glad to have him back!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM
10th Gear

just started my 3 months for free...hopefully I can talk them down when the time comes...anyone talk em' down before?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnnyBla3e
just started my 3 months for free...hopefully I can talk them down when the time comes...anyone talk em' down before?
From all reports, it is important to wait until the end of your three months. If the system ain't broke, don't break it. It's not talking them down, it's using a successful system.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Just re-upped on my 04 TL. I've been doing this for 2 Acuras for the past 6 years - thanks for the $$$ savings !
Old 07-08-2010, 09:12 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re-upped at $77 for the 6th year in a row. However, there was more teeth-pulling today. I called and they said to renew it would be $164+. I was like OH HELL NO. I said there was no way I would renew at a price that was more than twice of what I paid last year. I then said I would have to cancel.

I was forwarded to the retention dept, and the rep, after some "thought", said "you've been a long time customer, so I'll offer you $88.42". I was like: Why is it not $77? He said there was the US Radio Royalty Fee. I replied: There's no way I'm paying for that, especially since the $77 already has that baked in. The fact that I'm already paying something and only listening to one channel, $77 is the absolute tops I would pay. He said that "fine, I'll cancel your account"

He continued on that if should plan to re-connect, it would cost $14.95. I said, "don't worry about that, I won't re-subscribe". He wavered a little bit and then said... "Okay, as a ONE TIME COURTESY, I'll give it to you at $77 per year, but this is the last time you'll will get this, since you got this deal last year."

Oh and get this: He said that after one-year my sub will roll into a FIVE YEAR deal. I was like: "Absolutely not. I can understand it rolling into a one year, but five years?! I don't even know if I will have the car for that much longer." He said that I can "call back to change the renew option to 'do not renew' later".

FIVE years?! Wtf... he actually did say that I could have bought the lifetime plan before since I've been a customer for so long... I said "I wouldn't do that since there's no guarantee that XM would be around forever..." Nice try.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just activated XM for the first time. Called up with my radio code and just gave her my info, but no CC#. She initially gave me a 30 day trial but I asked about a 3 month trial that "my friend got" and she found it for me and set it up. I'll be trying the $77 renewal in Oct.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 PM
09 TL

hey guys i recently bought an 09 Tl and the XM ran out .how do i make them give it to me for 77 a year...
Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 PM
2005 Acura TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had deactivated my account. I have used both the $77 for a year deal and the $23.09 for 5 months deal.

I just resubscribed for the $23.09 for 5 month. Although I am interested in trying the 55 for a year deal the other poster was talking about.

Also, I've never really had any trouble with giving them my cc. They also said they would automatically cancel it for me, which they did last time.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

Anyone out there gotten a deal for just weather and traffic only? I dont want the radio service, just the add ons?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Advanced

just got off the phone with them. i've got an 07 tls with the nav traffic update and was on a previous plan of $22.96/month. i've been wanting to try the $77 deal since alst year but i've just been too busy to remember about doing it. anyway, i called to cancel my subscription so i could call back afterwards and try for the $77 deal. i called to cancel, got transferred to do so and then got offerred no less than 10 different deals to stay on. i kept saying no and told her that i wouldn't stay unless i could do a year deal for $100 or less, and that's to include sirius and nav traffic updates. she put me on hold, came back and told me she'd give it to me for that.
I think a year subscription of xm everything and nav updates for $100 is a decent deal.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 PM
rec
Advanced

Got the yearly renewal notice for some excessive amount so I came back here to see if I can still get the $77 deal for year number 5. Good to see it's still active, but sounds like it may take some talking to avoid the extra $11 "royalty fee" but it sounds doable. I see some folks are mentioning taxes too, but I don't ever recall my charges being anything other than $77.

Will let you know how it goes.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:53 PM
rec
Advanced

By the way, does the day or time appear to make any difference in success? i.e. daytime vs evening or weekend vs weekday? I've always tried for the weekday daytime before, but given the reps used to be all over the place, I'm figuring it doesn't really matter much.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nuttcase21
just got off the phone with them. i've got an 07 tls with the nav traffic update and was on a previous plan of $22.96/month. i've been wanting to try the $77 deal since alst year but i've just been too busy to remember about doing it. anyway, i called to cancel my subscription so i could call back afterwards and try for the $77 deal. i called to cancel, got transferred to do so and then got offerred no less than 10 different deals to stay on. i kept saying no and told her that i wouldn't stay unless i could do a year deal for $100 or less, and that's to include sirius and nav traffic updates. she put me on hold, came back and told me she'd give it to me for that.
I think a year subscription of xm everything and nav updates for $100 is a decent deal.
My 3 months will be up soon and wanted to know if anyone else had the weather and traffic included?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 PM
rec
Advanced

Update: I called and was transferred to someone who would take care of canceling the auto renewal. Waited on hold about 20 minutes and got a customer rep in IA. Asked why I wanted to stop it and when I said I wasn't in the car that often and the new rates were out of my budget, she immediately offered up a $77/yr deal. But when we went over details they slipped in the extra $11 in music fees which I balked at. They absolutely would not back off of that, but offered up the $20/5mo (which is really $23+change) instead. So I took that offer and will get to do this over again in 5 months!

Quick Reply: Renew XM Radio for $77 or less for 12 months, Part 7