Problems with Importing Wallpaper from USB

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problems with Importing Wallpaper from USB

Hey guys, I was hoping for a little help in troubleshooting my USB drive. It's a new Sandisk Cruzer and music shows up fine on my screen but wallpapers seem to not want to import. I figured out I can't import wallpaper if I'm playing music - which makes sense. So I remedy that by turning off audio but then I get two error messages almost 50-50 of the time. One error message tells me that my USB is disconnected when it's clearly lit up. The second error would be that it doesn't detect my jpg images and tells me to put it in the root directory.

This is how my USB drive is set up:

My Computer > Removable Disk (Renamed: Beta TL) > Documents & U3 Security File > Music

I put the two test wallpapers in the directory where the Documents and U3 Security file is - which should be the root and two copies in the Documents directory to just be safe.

I was thinking it could be the U3 security file but music shows up fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks all in advance!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try a different usb drive. First drive I tried, no files found. Second drive I tried, worked fine. Also double check format and file type for your pics. Who knows...Maybe the new TL is running Windows Vista!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Just tried another USB, didn't work. I guess this doesn't normally happen does it. Music works fine -_-
Old 01-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Instructor

search for the other threads on this same topic. Others have had similar issues. good luck
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM

if only there were..
Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried it with just JPEGS on the drive, no mixed file formats and not in folders?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the file size? Pretty sure each file can't exceed 600kb or something like that.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually I read somewhere that each JPG file can be up to 6MB, that's pretty big. One of the files I have in the HDD, is 2.4MB so I know it's bigger than 600kb.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bmode
Actually I read somewhere that each JPG file can be up to 6MB, that's pretty big. One of the files I have in the HDD, is 2.4MB so I know it's bigger than 600kb.
You are correct--on page 118 of the nav manual, the max file size stated is indeed 6MB, and the file must be BMP or JPEG. I also had some of the same difficulties you did. I finally had to re-format the drive and only upload pics on the root drive. I'm not sure if there was an issue with the factory-format and/or pre-loaded software on the drive causing an incompatibility with the nav.

I also had issues with the connection not being consistent and secure with the car reporting the drive was disconnected if I moved it around while trying to view the contents of the drive. I had no issues with the drive in the PC, just when using the car's USB cable. I'm going to chalk it up to a cheap drive for now, but if I ever get another one, I'll try it and see if the problem is with the USB cable's end (which I think it may be.) However, until I can prove it by showing it is consistently losing connections on multiple drives, the dealership won't touch the car (you know how that goes!)
The following users liked this post:
ripcityTL (04-04-2020)
Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My mistake, 6mb then. That's plenty big for an 800x480 picture. Mine are all between 80kb-200kb if I remember correctly.

Good practice with any new drive is to format it first. Lots of times there are unnecessary files on there (as is the case with many USB thumbsticks). Just right click on it, click Format, check off Quick Format, make sure it's formatting to NTFS file system, and do it.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 AM

I almost gave up actually but I grabbed my friend's SanDisk Minicruzer and it got the wallpaper on fine. I think it has something to do with the security software, you have to remove it completely. The other USB drive I used was another Cruzer since I have two and both were new.

So if you have security software on your USB, you have to remove it completely off the USB drive, which means you will never be able to get it back unless you download off the SanDisk website.

But yea, I looked everywhere in case I wasn't filling the requirements:

I tried both BMP and JPG, made sure the image was less than 6 MB and music wasn't running. It was plain annoying - I'm so glad I got it to work! It's so hot..now we just get a navi-hack out to show the image even after you press enter lol.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
At least one solution. But causes more questions!

Alright I was having the same issues. I knew I had a good flash drive etc. Turns out that for whatever reason acura of the 09 and up variety only use pictures that are (as previously mentioned 800x480) but ALSO when you export a file to bmp (have not tested on jpeg) your bit depth has to be at 24. Soon as i made the change things started loading smooth! Bew problem? The color palette changed so all my custom wallpapers are screwed! Anyone know to address this?
Old 01-31-2020, 06:19 PM
1st Gear

unable to display pic from list, picture appeared in the list but when I set it up i,

Originally Posted by Iceman52489
Hey guys, I was hoping for a little help in troubleshooting my USB drive. It's a new Sandisk Cruzer and music shows up fine on my screen but wallpapers seem to not want to import. I figured out I can't import wallpaper if I'm playing music - which makes sense. So I remedy that by turning off audio but then I get two error messages almost 50-50 of the time. One error message tells me that my USB is disconnected when it's clearly lit up. The second error would be that it doesn't detect my jpg images and tells me to put it in the root directory.

This is how my USB drive is set up:

My Computer > Removable Disk (Renamed: Beta TL) > Documents & U3 Security File > Music

I put the two test wallpapers in the directory where the Documents and U3 Security file is - which should be the root and two copies in the Documents directory to just be safe.

I was thinking it could be the U3 security file but music shows up fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks all in advance!
🔈