OBDII Scanner - Kiwi3 by PLX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBDII Scanner - Kiwi3 by PLX

Does anyone have first hand experience with this OBDII scanner? I've been thinking about buying one. $99.00 on Amazon shipped free if you have Prime.

If you have a different type please leave some pros and cons to help me decide if I should go ahead with purchase. I'm open to other makes/models.

I'm looking to buy it purely for curiosity. To learn the normal operating temps and pressures and how they fluctuate while and how I drive my car.

http://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-3-OBD-Car-to-Smartphone-Connection-p/897346002832.htm
Old 10-05-2016, 01:18 AM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
I ordered a Kiwi2 bluetooth recently, amazon sent me a kiwi2 Wifi version instead(under $30). Wifi one only works on IOS, I have android, Bluetooth one works on android. So I ordered a BAFX (android only $22) and It works well, except I wanted to leave it plugged in all the time without the power drain which is why I went with the Kiwi 2 because it goes to low power mode. Seller ended up refunding me, letting me keep the Wifi version and sent me out the bluetooth version which I didn't expect @ all. The Kiwi 2 bluetooth works just as well as the BAFX. The only thing I didn't expect was to have to push a button on the Kiwi 2 every time I wanted to use it. I leave it plugged in all the time, but I have to push a button on it for it to turn on. Which defeats the purpose of tucking it up under the dash out of sight with an angled plug and extension.

It looks like the Kiwi3 works with IOS or Android, I'm curious to know if you have to push a button to turn it on every time. But even if it doesn't require you to hit a button to turn it on, I'm not sure if its worth the $99 when u can get something that does the same exact thing for $22(if you are on android)..
Old 10-12-2016, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
There's a cheap $5 one that works with android really well! If you have an iphone it's a bit more expensive at $40 the last time I checked for a bluetooth dongle for the OBDII port.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:14 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
You really don't need to get something this expensive. Get any of the ELM adaptors that are on amazon. I have a few, they're literally 5-10 dollars a pop. Work perfectly w/ Android. A WiFi version is maybe 20-25 bucks at most and will work with iPhone.

This is the one I use w/ my Android phone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great, and it's low-profile so you won't hit it while getting in/out of the car w/ your legs =)

Last edited by Blaze9; 10-15-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
I have one of these and running on dash command app. I also have the WIFI HDMI connector hooked up to my NAV tool and I can display the app on the navi screen. It definitely has a cool factor to it. Just glace over on the navi screen and see the data live.