NAVTOOL 6.0 on 13 TL 3.5 FWD w/ NAVI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
NAVTOOL 6.0 on 13 TL 3.5 FWD w/ NAVI

Hello Guys,

I recently bought a 4G TL (2013, 3.5 FWD w/ NAVI) and tried installing Navtool 6.0,

I thought I was getting 5.0 but I got a 6.0 unit instead which supports wireless AA/Carplay.

The unit was sent back for an RMA because it had some issue with powering and now that issue's gone after their replacement. However the video / audio input don't seem to work at all.

I get no audio neither video from the unit although my phone seems to connect to the unit via wireless AA, I tried an HDMI input as well which doesn't seem to work at all..

I get the reverse camera though when reversing.

here's the video footage I took and I wonder if any of you guys had some similar issues in the past.

here's their latest tutorial (which isn't 100% accurate but it gives a basic reference)
https://app.getguru.com/card/ijje7MR...t1bZFhtzqxZjZo
Old 03-09-2022, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
There is supposed to be an orange wire that hooks up to the T harness according to their instrctions.

Also did your radio buttons power off after you turned on the unit?>??? such as HVAC? I think they may have a bad harness or software loaded into the unit.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
There is supposed to be an orange wire that hooks up to the T harness according to their instrctions.

Also did your radio buttons power off after you turned on the unit?>??? such as HVAC? I think they may have a bad harness or software loaded into the unit.
yes hooking up orange wires doesn't really make any difference, I thought that would fix it but it didn't.

and as soon as I activate the navtool it powers off my HVAC buttons.. so you think this is caused by the bad harness ?
Old 03-09-2022, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Cbble
yes hooking up orange wires doesn't really make any difference, I thought that would fix it but it didn't.

and as soon as I activate the navtool it powers off my HVAC buttons.. so you think this is caused by the bad harness ?
Something isn't talking right with the car and is cutting off power to those HVAC buttons. You should contact navtool and tell them of that issue and send them your video. Either a wire is in the wrong pin or the firmware is messing with the car's communications network.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:43 PM
Advanced

Something isn't talking right with the car and is cutting off power to those HVAC buttons. You should contact navtool and tell them of that issue and send them your video. Either a wire is in the wrong pin or the firmware is messing with the car's communications network.
Well. kinda figured out. after talking to their rep, the issue I had earlier was caused by that T harness being plugged into HVAC connector instead of the actual Radio connector, after I plugged that T harness to the right spot it now switches screen, but in black.. no video / audio.

Their rep told me I fried the cheap because the T harness was plugged into the HVAC port.. and they don't seem to make clear about whether the unit can be repaired or not.

Well. it would've been nice if I knew which connector should've been used between those two.. after installing about 20 aftermarket HU, this is the first time that I saw one harness can be plugged in to more than one slot..
Old 03-10-2022, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Well. kinda figured out. after talking to their rep, the issue I had earlier was caused by that T harness being plugged into HVAC connector instead of the actual Radio connector, after I plugged that T harness to the right spot it now switches screen, but in black.. no video / audio.

Their rep told me I fried the cheap because the T harness was plugged into the HVAC port.. and they don't seem to make clear about whether the unit can be repaired or not.

Well. it would've been nice if I knew which connector should've been used between those two.. after installing about 20 aftermarket HU, this is the first time that I saw one harness can be plugged in to more than one slot..
Send it back for repair as their instructions don't really specify which harness exactly and they say plug and play which this has not been.
The following users liked this post:
Cbble (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Send it back for repair as their instructions don't really specify which harness exactly and they say plug and play which this has not been.
They kinda made it hard to start another RMA after the first one (it won't let me do it via web)... so I'm patiently waiting for their response via chat or text.. I called their support desk but they said their tech support would have to review and get back to me..

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-11-2022, 10:54 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Honestly, I did the same thing but with my VLine. They replaced both the harness and the unit for me and I'm up and running. It was a very stupid mistake but I'm happy they replaced it for me under warranty.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

ANy chance you can take a picture of the correct plugs to use?
Old 03-12-2022, 06:31 PM
Advanced

ANy chance you can take a picture of the correct plugs to use?
w0w9ezj_d.webp

^ I wish their instruction or video mentioned this to avoid frying the chip.....

here you go
csmeance (03-14-2022)
Old 03-17-2022, 12:11 PM
Pro

^ I wish their instruction or video mentioned this to avoid frying the chip.....

here you go
Correct!

The 16pin connector is identical for both passenger/driver side HVAC connectors as well as the video output for the head unit. It's quite easy to mistake. The easiest way to make sure you're using the right wires is to make sure the 16pin does NOT have the small plastic snap connector on the wire 5-6 inches from the harness. That small snap connector connects to the side of the unit for cable management. I'm not sure what the wording is but you'll see it, a small beige pin that connects to the metal frame around the headunit.
Cbble (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 06:43 PM
Advanced

contacted the support team multiple times, I'm still waiting for my RMA label.. their website isn't setup for the 2nd RMA so I am still waiting..
Old 04-08-2022, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Finally got my 2nd RMA done, installed the unit, it does connect to my phone wirelessly then launches Android Auto, however I can't get any audio output either via AUX mode or BT Audio, I noticed that the device (CX_BTFC4BXXXXXX) only toggles Calls but Audio, which got me thinking this may have been the root cause.

Has anyone had any issue like this before?
Old 04-09-2022, 07:04 AM
Advanced

Well. Finally fixed it, it turns out RCA male to male was needed between the main harness and AUX harness so the audio would come out of AUX instead of BT. I guess this would guarantee the best audio quality possible since the main connectivity is now done through a WiFi host instead of BT.

Here are some installation pictures. Along the way, I shorted the power wires (black and red) and had spent hours trying to figure out which fuse got burnt. Which was the 11 on the engine compartment box. (in case you guys make the same mistake I did which cut off power to the navi screen and radio)

^ this was needed for the audio output.

The only downside is that my steering wheel control no longer skips songs... volume adjustment works great though.

i'm still not used to using the knob to navigate the menu.....

Old 04-11-2022, 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator

wait a second, you can't skip songs while using carplay because it's audio is through the AUX????
Old 04-11-2022, 09:36 PM
Advanced

wait a second, you can't skip songs while using carplay because it's audio is through the AUX????
I haven't tried Carplay, but I can't skip songs via SWC while using Android Auto.. it kinda sucks. Yeah got me thinking AUX may not allow that..
Old 04-13-2022, 01:40 PM
Pro

This is so odd. On the GROM Audio Vline2 unit that I have, everything is streamed through... I actually dunno, they call it "CD". Their interface hijacks the CD slot so you can't use CDs anymore (Oh no what will I do!!!) but this keeps the steering and center skip/reverse buttons working...

Not being able to use those buttons would be 100% a dealbreaker. Can you contact them and see if some config is off? I highly doubt that they would only stream audio through AUX.

I haven't tried Carplay, but I can't skip songs via SWC while using Android Auto.. it kinda sucks. Yeah got me thinking AUX may not allow that..
Certain AUX instances allow skipping songs. Not sure if the port in our car has that option. That's a hardware limitation: a 3-pin AUX cable/port can support forward/reverse, but only if both receivers have 3pin support. Only L/R audio will be transmitted if the ports don't have 3pin support.

Last edited by Blaze9; 04-13-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Blaze9
This is so odd. On the GROM Audio Vline2 unit that I have, everything is streamed through... I actually dunno, they call it "CD". Their interface hijacks the CD slot so you can't use CDs anymore (Oh no what will I do!!!) but this keeps the steering and center skip/reverse buttons working...

Not being able to use those buttons would be 100% a dealbreaker. Can you contact them and see if some config is off? I highly doubt that they would only stream audio through AUX.

Certain AUX instances allow skipping songs. Not sure if the port in our car has that option. That's a hardware limitation: a 3-pin AUX cable/port can support forward/reverse, but only if both receivers have 3pin support. Only L/R audio will be transmitted if the ports don't have 3pin support.
Does it show CD-C mode? That's for external CD changer mode and very common on radios for aftermarket devices. I hope the Navtool allows forward/reverse with the steering controls! Otherwise I'll be looking at GROM.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:44 PM
Advanced

ok, I followed up with their tech, and their tech said Skipping songs isn't supported but for 2015 TLX and newer since buttons are analog on 4G TL..
Old 04-16-2022, 09:06 PM
Advanced

One thing I noticed, whenever I lock or unlock my car, it skips songs on Spotify..... even when shifting to park.. lol
Old 04-17-2022, 10:18 PM
Pro

Does it show CD-C mode? That's for external CD changer mode and very common on radios for aftermarket devices. I hope the Navtool allows forward/reverse with the steering controls! Otherwise I'll be looking at GROM.

Nope, not CD-C. This is on our stock system with nav. The GROM just hijacks the cd mode to their input instead. It's very slick. The only thing I can't figure out is how to take calls properly. Calls are still routed through acura handsfreelink and the system automatically switches back to stock phone screen when I'm on a call, and automatically switches back to grom when I hangup. But very minor issue tbh.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:13 PM
Advanced

Nope, not CD-C. This is on our stock system with nav. The GROM just hijacks the cd mode to their input instead. It's very slick. The only thing I can't figure out is how to take calls properly. Calls are still routed through acura handsfreelink and the system automatically switches back to stock phone screen when I'm on a call, and automatically switches back to grom when I hangup. But very minor issue tbh.
Ah that's tragic, I don't like the BT quality of handsfreelink. At least the call quality seems pretty good on Navtool since the audio output is through AUX via WiFI host.
However the mic quality is still the same... or less sometimes depending on the condition of echo cancellation I suppose.

Everytime I try to calibrate it seems to fail. Apart from these little issues, it seems fine.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:05 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, I followed up with their tech, and their tech said Skipping songs isn't supported but for 2015 TLX and newer since buttons are analog on 4G TL..
Oh man....I recently purchased a 2010 Acura TL Tech and the just ordered the Navtool for the car. Despite the issues you had with installation, are you happy with the Navtool?
Old 05-18-2023, 01:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PhatboyNYC
Oh man....I recently purchased a 2010 Acura TL Tech and the just ordered the Navtool for the car. Despite the issues you had with installation, are you happy with the Navtool?
​​​​​​

nah, I should've gone with Vline2... there's a couple minor issues not really sure if caused by wiring..

Reverse always flickers for about 1-2 seconds but the camera does work,, and not being able to skip songs via Steering wheel control kinda sucks. And Mic quality is terrible in comparison to the OEM factory setup.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:20 AM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the GROM install difficult? Are the available apps similar to the apple apps?
Old 09-28-2023, 10:24 AM
toferdisobey

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Wow I realized now I should have read up more. I to just completed this nightmare. Why I say that…because of Navtool’s claim ALL PLUG N PLAY. Then they have 4 or 5 different webpages of different instructions written at different years and models of the navtool device. I told them this makes it extremely confusing. Plus there has already been 5 of their own wires I had to cut and move, per their own directions to do so to fix camera and audio issues. At the moment I’ve got it working. The way I use it now is with both Bluetooth connections for Acura and navtool. This allows much better sound and still retain all the features including changing tracks. That auxiliary sound on apple CarPlay is very poor and I think that is where this fails, along with the audio cable that needs to be manually fixed as stated above.

if anyone needs helps let me know…
Old 10-21-2023, 09:42 AM
toferdisobey

​​​​​​

nah, I should've gone with Vline2... there's a couple minor issues not really sure if caused by wiring..

Reverse always flickers for about 1-2 seconds but the camera does work,, and not being able to skip songs via Steering wheel control kinda sucks. And Mic quality is terrible in comparison to the OEM factory setup.
Mine also had an issue with changing tracks. Dumping and reconnecting the Bluetooth connection fixed it. Also, disconnect the aftermarket mic, navtool 6 uses the oem mic. In settings, select oem mic. Make sure you have both Acura and navtool BT connections while radio is on BT setting.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Christopher Michael
Mine also had an issue with changing tracks. Dumping and reconnecting the Bluetooth connection fixed it. Also, disconnect the aftermarket mic, navtool 6 uses the oem mic. In settings, select oem mic. Make sure you have both Acura and navtool BT connections while radio is on BT setting.
Ah.. I don't like getting a call from Acura Navi... is there any way to avoid that while maintaining your BT connection on both Navitool and acura navi?
Old 10-25-2023, 10:26 AM
toferdisobey

Ah.. I don't like getting a call from Acura Navi... is there any way to avoid that while maintaining your BT connection on both Navitool and acura navi?
So when you have both Bluetooth connections, but you are on the CarPlay screen, the call comes in through navtool, not Acura.

Sometimes the navtool doesn’t auto connect. You have to wait a min after starting the car to check it. If it didn’t connect, do it manually.