Navi dvd updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:33 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Map Update

I bought a map update for my 2009 TL and have had problems. The state of Florida will not update so every time I start the car the NAV system says my maps aren't updated (a voice and a message on the screen).

I exchanged the map disks and tried to reinstall but that didn't resolve the problem.

The company that sells the nav disks said the dealer could "reset" the nav system to the factory settings to eliminate the notification that the maps aren't updated. The dealer said they have tried resetting the nav system for others with this issue but then the nav system fails altogether which requires a new nav system. The dealer is aware of this issue and is of no help. Neither is the company who sells the map disks.

Buy the map update at your own risk.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by illistik
The address shows up on the new navigation update!
Thanks illistik; very much appreciated. Now I can call the Nav folks and call BS when they tell me that the CDN discs are in any way different.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ordered the update, received it and it's missing Disc 1. Ugh! Anyone else have this issue? Customer service not available until Monday. Also has the wrong VIN on the packing slip.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CJinNOLA
Ordered the update, received it and it's missing Disc 1. Ugh! Anyone else have this issue? Customer service not available until Monday. Also has the wrong VIN on the packing slip.
That is so weird. They must have mixed up the orders or incorrectly packaged the item. Did they send you at least the purple disc?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
why even update? dont. dont pay 100 dollars. every January they have a deal and its knocked down to $79...but that's still a rip off.

dont upgrade.

Use your garmin with free updates, or even use your smart phone's GPS capabilities. but no, one shouldnt pay $100 for something that is free
$99 is nothing every few years. By your logic why even buy a car that has a Nav? Just use your phone.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by illistik
That is so weird. They must have mixed up the orders or incorrectly packaged the item. Did they send you at least the purple disc?
They did send the purple disc. It had plastic around the outside of the package, yet disc 1 was not there. Am going to call them today to get another one sent and ask why the vin is wrong as well as I understand each update is tied to your vin number.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

They did send the purple disc. It had plastic around the outside of the package, yet disc 1 was not there. Am going to call them today to get another one sent and ask why the vin is wrong as well as I understand each update is tied to your vin number.
Mine shipped today hope they didn't screw it up.........
Old 03-27-2017, 02:11 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
received my replacement after FedEx lost the first one, didn't even realize it had the wrong year and vin number on the receipt till after i started the download and needed the activation code and kind of freaked out but it was the red update, i was suppose to get it for a 10 and it says 09 with some other cars vin. well it did download fine and I did call Here and they told me no worries same for 9 10 and 11
Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by gatewayad
received my replacement after FedEx lost the first one, didn't even realize it had the wrong year and vin number on the receipt till after i started the download and needed the activation code and kind of freaked out but it was the red update, i was suppose to get it for a 10 and it says 09 with some other cars vin. well it did download fine and I did call Here and they told me no worries same for 9 10 and 11
Makes me wonder if the updates are truly vehicle specific, or if they ask for the VIN only to maintain that illusion, knowing that if they don't, a market for used discs will spring up.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If someone wants to mail me their 2017 discs after they've updated, ill make a copy and ship it back, see what I can do with it.
Ill pay shipping both ways, quite curious.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joemcfarnham
If someone wants to mail me their 2017 discs after they've updated, ill make a copy and ship it back, see what I can do with it.
Ill pay shipping both ways, quite curious.
I just updated my 2011 TL nav without issue. It did take a full 2.5 hours to do. I ended up plugging in my battery charger so I didn't have to leave the car running for that long. Worked like a charm.

Its the red dvd. So, Joe if you want the dvd's I'll mail them to you and include the passcode for it. PM me if interested.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty sure only the purple discs would work in my 2012.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Intermediate

Did my update today and it took a little over 2 hours. I live in the city and checked several new streets and they are on there. To me for $99 it is worth it to update every 3 or 4 years I won't be doing it every year.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

So is there anyway to bypass activation and install using copied discs?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:07 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelHondaTL
So is there anyway to bypass activation and install using copied discs?
Please don't hate me for saying this, but now may be you are promoting intellectual piracy on a public forum. Please be careful.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Comfy is right, Joel. We do not promote nor condone copying copyrighted materials on AcuraZine.
The following users liked this post:
potmilkz (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Cruisin'

Installed the replacement discs they sent today after the first package was missing one of the DVD's. Did the installation on a road trip to my parents' place. Took 2 hours and 44 minutes to be exact and when I got to my parents' neighborhood I still got the "you are entering an unverified area" that I got before updating. The maps had not been updated since the car was new (2013 model originally leased in March of 2013. I purchased it a couple of months back), so there was a four year period to verify this area that was not done. My hometown is right on I-10 in a heavily trafficed area and is 135 years old. The street my parents live on and those around them have been in existence for at least 80 years I'd say. I find this to be pretty darned pathetic to be honest. The $150.00 portable Garmin I had prior to this car is way ahead of this nonsense and with free updates and traffic, posted speed limits, etc. Really disappointed and going to contact Acura/Here Maps to let them know what I think of this system. Going on an extended road trip in a few weeks and will be sure to bring my Garmin along to help out.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed the replacement discs they sent today after the first package was missing one of the DVD's. Did the installation on a road trip to my parents' place. Took 2 hours and 44 minutes to be exact and when I got to my parents' neighborhood I still got the "you are entering an unverified area" that I got before updating. The maps had not been updated since the car was new (2013 model originally leased in March of 2013. I purchased it a couple of months back), so there was a four year period to verify this area that was not done. My hometown is right on I-10 in a heavily trafficed area and is 135 years old. The street my parents live on and those around them have been in existence for at least 80 years I'd say. I find this to be pretty darned pathetic to be honest. The $150.00 portable Garmin I had prior to this car is way ahead of this nonsense and with free updates and traffic, posted speed limits, etc. Really disappointed and going to contact Acura/Here Maps to let them know what I think of this system. Going on an extended road trip in a few weeks and will be sure to bring my Garmin along to help out.

Yes, my biggest complaint I have with Acura and the nav system is the "unverified area" speech I hear. Even after updated my nav a few weeks ago. I'd love to read an explanation as to why engineers at Acura felt the need to add this into the system. I used to hear the biotch tell me "unverified area" a lot more often before the update. So, Its not so bad now. But I live in the country and every time I pull off the main road onto the country road to my house I hear her talking. Drives me bonkers!