HID lights utility use and impact on battery life

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:22 PM
Acura all the way

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HID lights utility use and impact on battery life

I noticed that my Acura TL uses lights for all kinds of utility purposes (door opening, unlock, etc.) and it has a pretty significant timer (15 sec or more).

Given the intensity of HID lights, and the frequency of running these utility functions on battery-only, do I need to be concerned of this shortening the short battery life, or does it get all fully re-charged during the engine run time?

Last edited by edmonb; 08-29-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,743 Likes on 6,745 Posts
You're overthinking it
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

justnspace (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by edmonb
I noticed that my Acura TL uses lights for all kinds of utility purposes (door opening, unlock, etc.) and it has a pretty significant timer (15 sec or more).

Given the intensity of HID lights, and the frequency of running these utility functions on battery-only, do I need to be concerned of this shortening the short battery life, or does it get all fully re-charged during the engine run time?
the car is chock full of electronics.
be aware listening to the radio without the car on will drain the battery.

on the other hand, Acura has put in safe guards for the lighting and will turn off head lights after a set amount of time!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
You'll get a MID message if your voltage goes too low (below 11.5 or something like that). As long as you run the car frequently you won't discharge the battery to the extent to where you won't be able to start it.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts

You can change the option in the MID for the lights to shut off faster or to not turn on in those situations!

There shouldn't be a large impact on the battery, a very minute one that it can easily handle. The only sort of "wear" that is occurring is on your HID bulbs, ignitors and ballasts, the more times an HID bulb turns on and off, the shorter its lifespan becomes.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:55 PM
Acura all the way

Thanks

Originally Posted by csmeance
You can change the option in the MID for the lights to shut off faster or to not turn on in those situations!

There shouldn't be a large impact on the battery, a very minute one that it can easily handle. The only sort of "wear" that is occurring is on your HID bulbs, ignitors and ballasts, the more times an HID bulb turns on and off, the shorter its lifespan becomes.
Thanks for the tip.

I will set HID's to turn off or turn off sooner. I am a bit paranoid about the battery because of some really bad experiences getting a drained battery.

One time it was when I picked my colleague before the international flight. Car would not turn back on, after I parked to help load the luggages. Flight was departing in an hour.

Another time I got stranded at the airport parking for hours after battery got sun 'baked' drained from the car being on the sun at the open parking lot while I was on a five day trip with a five hour return red eye from California. So instead of getting home, I was waiting for hours for jump start service to show up. (Airport parking is a low traffic, and it is hard to access place).

So, I am now a little bit paranoid about the battery life. Thanks for the tips again.

Last edited by edmonb; 08-30-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

I will set HID's to turn off or turn off sooner. I am a bit paranoid about the battery because of some really bad experiences getting a drained battery.

One time it was when I picked my colleague before the international flight. Car would not turn back on, after I parked to help load the luggages. Flight was departing in an hour.

Another time I got stranded at the airport parking for hours after battery got sun 'baked' drained from the car being on the sun at the open parking lot while I was on a five day trip with a five hour return red eye from California. So instead of getting home, I was waiting for hours for jump start service to show up. (Airport parking is a low traffic, and it is hard to access place).

So, I am now a little bit paranoid about the battery life. Thanks for the tips again.
Just so you know, once Lead acid batteries (ones from the factory) are discharged they can't be recharged to full capacity! They continually deplete in their ability to hold a charge. Heat also shortens this and with the battery so close to the engine, these batteries barely last 3-4 years.

Highly recommend picking up an AGM battery (glass matt battery). They are a bit more expensive (use a 35% off coupon at pepboys.com and do pickup in store) but last twice as long and don't have the recharging issue! I've had the same battery in my 760 (1100CCA needed) for nearly 8 years and had it replaced recently.
edmonb (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:23 PM
Acura all the way

Originally Posted by csmeance
Just so you know, once Lead acid batteries (ones from the factory) are discharged they can't be recharged to full capacity! They continually deplete in their ability to hold a charge. Heat also shortens this and with the battery so close to the engine, these batteries barely last 3-4 years.

Highly recommend picking up an AGM battery (glass matt battery). They are a bit more expensive (use a 35% off coupon at pepboys.com and do pickup in store) but last twice as long and don't have the recharging issue! I've had the same battery in my 760 (1100CCA needed) for nearly 8 years and had it replaced recently.
Excellent suggestion and a tip. I read up on AGM - it is a technology that would have helped in these two conditions I described. Thank you. This forum and the people here are priceless for Acura owners.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Geez, you need to buy a couple of Flashlights!!! Stop using your car for mood lighting.