Dolby ProLogic on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Dolby ProLogic on or off?

Hey Guys,

I can tell which is better in between pro logic or standard...How do you guys set it up? Sound like pro logic has more central vocal an when off theirs more base...
Old 12-03-2010, 03:41 PM
OMGTHEDONNY

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I would say on..

Standard is stereo so no matter how many channels / speaks your music has it will split them up between left and right.. Mono is like One speaker all sound no channels

Pro-Logic takes advantage of the sourround sound capabiltiy.. so when the artists make the music for example and they have a Tamboreen in the song and they only want that particular instrament to come from the front of the car it will while maybe the kick/bass drum comes from the back of the car...

Like watching a movie.. ever notice in surround sound a bullet can wisp past you and it sounds almost like it started in the front of the room and ended up going behind you ? Thats pro logic sending the sound to different speakers at different times.

where I believe stereo will just use only left and right.. not left/right/front/back/sub
Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
I switch it off when listening to music on XM or FM radio. Seems to sound a bit better. Otherwise, on all the time.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OMGthedonny, please don't give that kind of advise, that's just horribly confusing and seriously incorrect.

Bazo, I'll do my best to help you understand. DolbyPrologic is a simulation. You are manipulating a stereo signal and splitting frequencies to widen and expand the stereo field via the ELS premium sound system, designed by Eliott Scheiner. It is one of the better simulations too, so you can see why we all debate about it being on or off.

Yatta yatta yatta, I could go on but here's the bottom line. Do YOU like it with the DP on or off, that's all that matters. I prefer off for stereo sources, until I insert a DVD-A, which will give you that true surround sound separation that we all talk about so much.

So in answer to your question, stereo sources, DP off.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
I will tell you this. When im cruising with windows down listening to Techno/Trance/Hip-hop i turn off Dolby II. Why you ask? You get way more volume. When I'm cruising with windows up listening to my R&B or Jazz/Classical tracks, I turn it back on. Any of you ever fade your speakers to the rear inn Dolby II? Its mostly Echo/reverb.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Para, you just proved my point to leave off the DPII. It's a simulation and you split the frequencies and signal, hence less raw volume and more processing.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bmode
Thanks Para, you just proved my point to leave off the DPII. It's a simulation and you split the frequencies and signal, hence less raw volume and more processing.
Desmond (see sig) but np. I do enjoy PLII but in certain situations. Great for road trips or listening to talk radio/news/sports stations on xm or books on CD.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:17 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Any of you ever fade your speakers to the rear inn Dolby II? Its mostly Echo/reverb.
Which is precisely why the shop manual refers to the rear shelf speakers as "Surround".
Old 12-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Six Shifter
Which is precisely why the shop manual refers to the rear shelf speakers as "Surround".
They are if Dolby II/DTS is on. When off there is no reverb and they play just as loud/full as the fronts in stereo. The 07-08 Stereo sounds way more "fuller" louder thean the 06 my mom once owned.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer it on. You do get less volume but when I play older cd's with vinyls converted to mp3, much of the noise from the recording is diminished. Even though they are stereo recordings, they sound cleaner.

For xm or fm definitely off sounds better to me. Seems the bass tones hit a bit harder. Its a matter of preference.

It is the audio adjustment I use most and its the last in the menu. 8 clicks away. Wish it was the first.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Off
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Off
huh???
Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
He meant Dolby ProLogic "Off"
Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMGthedonny, please don't give that kind of advise, that's just horribly confusing and seriously incorrect.

Bazo, I'll do my best to help you understand. DolbyPrologic is a simulation. You are manipulating a stereo signal and splitting frequencies to widen and expand the stereo field via the ELS premium sound system, designed by Eliott Scheiner. It is one of the better simulations too, so you can see why we all debate about it being on or off.

Yatta yatta yatta, I could go on but here's the bottom line. Do YOU like it with the DP on or off, that's all that matters. I prefer off for stereo sources, until I insert a DVD-A, which will give you that true surround sound separation that we all talk about so much.

So in answer to your question, stereo sources, DP off.
Solid post.

To add a bit more, pro logic simulates surround sound. It is a remarkable technology, because it takes a recording that only has two channels and SIMULATES surround sound across multiple channels.

If you go out and buy a DVD-Audio that was actually recorded in multiple channels, you are getting true surround sound, not simulated. Optimally, you want music recorded with the intention of surround. You can also find music that has been, for lack of a better word, adapted to multiple channels (there is a bootleg DVD-Audio out there of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and it is amazing.)

Dolby Pro Logic really impresses me for what it does. But I am a bit of a purist, and I prefer music to be played the way it was intended when recorded. I prefer my stereo recordings to be played in stereo, and my surround music to be played in surround. Once in a while, I'll play with processed sound, but I usually like it flat (not adjusted at all on an equalizer) and unprocessed.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rio Rebel
Solid post.

To add a bit more, pro logic simulates surround sound. It is a remarkable technology, because it takes a recording that only has two channels and SIMULATES surround sound across multiple channels.

If you go out and buy a DVD-Audio that was actually recorded in multiple channels, you are getting true surround sound, not simulated. Optimally, you want music recorded with the intention of surround. You can also find music that has been, for lack of a better word, adapted to multiple channels (there is a bootleg DVD-Audio out there of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and it is amazing.)

Dolby Pro Logic really impresses me for what it does. But I am a bit of a purist, and I prefer music to be played the way it was intended when recorded. I prefer my stereo recordings to be played in stereo, and my surround music to be played in surround. Once in a while, I'll play with processed sound, but I usually like it flat (not adjusted at all on an equalizer) and unprocessed.
Great posts guys but can we no call it Prologic anymore? That is long gone Dolby 2 is so much better yet still doing the same thing granted Prologic does 3 channels vs emulating 5. Question. Who's version is better at doing this? ELS's Dolby 2 or Bose's "Center Point" processing which tries to do the same thing?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ah, Para, you had me on board until you mentioned the B word, Bose. Or "blows" as we in the industry call it. "All highs, and no lows...it must be Bose". I can't say that the ELS is much better in the Car Audio arena, but as for home audio, Bose is taboo, we don't dare mention it. Bose is for people who just want sound in a room and don't care about proper sound reproduction or care how to use good electronics. A great product for the AV moron, until they realize that it can't be integrated with any other AV product! LOL. Happy Holidays all.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

My name isnt para..lol. Notice my sig? But I no the saying. I've had acustimass 6 in my house for 12 yrs hooked to a sony dolby digital receiver. In a car It's awful bu I was just wondering how RL's Bose dvd-a system sounds in comparison to the 3rd gen Tl as the wattages are more fair 225 for ELS/250 for Bose.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 PM
OMGTHEDONNY

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

wtf are you talking about?? you think DPII is not surround sound? Wow I guess everyone's home theaters are incorrect..
Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry to resurrect an old and contentious thread, but there's a bit more to be said on the "what is Dolby Pro Logic II" issue.

DPLII is really two separate things, a 2 channel -> 5.1 upmixer (simulated surround sound) AND it is a matrix encoder/decoder that can encode 4 or 5 channel sources into a 2 channel stream and then pull them back out on the decode side.

For most practical purposes in the ELS system, we're just talking about the 2c->5.1c upmixer so it is in fact not "true" surround sound. But if you could get your hands on some multi-channel audio that was encoded with DPLII it would come out with the discrete channels more or less intact. The only place you're going to run across such material is broadcast TV though, so this part is really only useful on home theatre systems.

There's more history and info on the format here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ryancampbell
Sorry to resurrect an old and contentious thread, but there's a bit more to be said on the "what is Dolby Pro Logic II" issue.

DPLII is really two separate things, a 2 channel -> 5.1 upmixer (simulated surround sound) AND it is a matrix encoder/decoder that can encode 4 or 5 channel sources into a 2 channel stream and then pull them back out on the decode side.

For most practical purposes in the ELS system, we're just talking about the 2c->5.1c upmixer so it is in fact not "true" surround sound. But if you could get your hands on some multi-channel audio that was encoded with DPLII it would come out with the discrete channels more or less intact. The only place you're going to run across such material is broadcast TV though, so this part is really only useful on home theatre systems.

There's more history and info on the format here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic
Why would you get dpII encoded cd when you just get dts/d5.1 dvd-a discs? I've never heard of such a thing. Even digital tv is stereo/dts/5.1 per what my recievers decoder detects. Never heard of a dpII format unless you want your stereo (2 chnl) cds/tv channels to take on a simulated 5.1 sound which DPII does.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Why would you get dpII encoded cd when you just get dts/d5.1 dvd-a discs? I've never heard of such a thing.
Yes, exactly, that was my point. While DPLII could be a multichannel encoded recording, in practice such things don't exist outside of broadcast (analog) TV. That's why there was confusion in this thread as to whether DPLII was multichannel audio or just virtual surround.

Note that if the audio was encoded in DPLII, then the surround is no longer simulated, the multi-channel info has been encoded into the stereo signal. Similar to how analog broadcast TV is a black and white signal with color information encoded into it with a similar hack.

Last edited by ryancampbell; 01-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
There are some TELARC CD's that have matrixed surround, aka Dolby Pro or II. This is the same technology used before DVD's on HiFi VHS and was real surround, although not discrete. You had objects come from behind, just not full range sound in the back channels. I think I have one or two CD's which are unlicensed surround like this, but work with Dolby decoders. Now for those of us who have or are thinking about adding a DVD player to a flip down monitor and/or the front screen, if our car has "pro-logic" setting, we should use it because it will decode the matrixed surround that all DVD players downmix into the 2 channel audio stream. It's better than just straight stereo for movies, and the best we have because there's no way to connect a digital input to any of the cars I think.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 PM
7th Gear

I keep Dolby PL II off. I found it muddies the mix as well as reduces the low end.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
What do you recommend if your listening to club mixes? House and techno music alike?

Live recordings if you will?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Intermediate

Ah, Para, you had me on board until you mentioned the B word, Bose. Or "blows" as we in the industry call it. "All highs, and no lows...it must be Bose". I can't say that the ELS is much better in the Car Audio arena, but as for home audio, Bose is taboo, we don't dare mention it. Bose is for people who just want sound in a room and don't care about proper sound reproduction or care how to use good electronics. A great product for the AV moron, until they realize that it can't be integrated with any other AV product! LOL. Happy Holidays all.
Bose, a great marketing company that also happens to make speakers.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shahram72
There are some TELARC CD's that have matrixed surround, aka Dolby Pro or II. This is the same technology used before DVD's on HiFi VHS and was real surround, although not discrete. You had objects come from behind, just not full range sound in the back channels. I think I have one or two CD's which are unlicensed surround like this, but work with Dolby decoders. Now for those of us who have or are thinking about adding a DVD player to a flip down monitor and/or the front screen, if our car has "pro-logic" setting, we should use it because it will decode the matrixed surround that all DVD players downmix into the 2 channel audio stream. It's better than just straight stereo for movies, and the best we have because there's no way to connect a digital input to any of the cars I think.
Why do Pro Logic at all if your stereo offers DPII? It's a much better technology than DPL. The DSP splits up stereo channels to a DP11 of 5.1 vs. Pro Logics 3.1 channels...

Originally Posted by Alvin1958
I keep Dolby PL II off. I found it muddies the mix as well as reduces the low end.
You are correct but there are some genre's that def do not require all that bottom-end. When i'm enjoying the weather jamming to my Vocal Trance tracks, I turn off the DBII but when I'm on the freeway at a quiet 75-80mph, I listen to anywhere from R&B, Jazz, Classical, or talk radio in which DBII stays on.

Originally Posted by supereri
Bose, a great marketing company that also happens to make speakers.
Which is all I like Bose for. My home theater hooked to my Sony DTS Receiver. I've had mine since I graduated high school and they've never blown.