Cell Phone Holder 2 - Anyone try one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Cell Phone Holder 2 - Anyone try one of these?

I am considering a considerable investment ($23) in one of these:

It is being sold on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Xenda-Universal-Lighter-Charger-Charging/dp/B009NIPQ2M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358569435&sr=8-3&keywords=DC+Plug+phone+holder http://www.amazon.com/Xenda-Universal-Lighter-Charger-Charging/dp/B009NIPQ2M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358569435&sr=8-3&keywords=DC+Plug+phone+holder
Has anyone tried this one, or anything similar?

I need it to hold my Galaxy S3 and what I like about this one is that it looks to be very adjustable and can easily be removed and reinstalled.

I realize there is another thread on cell holders but I am looking for comments on this specific holder and the other one is more of a custom fabricated setup. (Flame away if I misjudged the need to start a separate thread)

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
considering how tall this thing looks you might run into issues where it will wobble around like crazy
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My wife bought the Samsung Galaxy Cell Phone mount from Samsung and is very happy with it - it was expensive, $35, but in my view worth it. The universal cell phone holders I bought (I got two cheap ones) have bendable gooseneck arms that extend away from the suction mount, but they are too flexible and while I drive the phone vibrates like crazy. It's hard to read and even harder to hit touch points to make changes to Nav information. If I had to do it all over again (which I actually plan to do) I'm going to buy the Samsung - it attaches directly to the suction cup and is rigid and well made. The phone doesn't vibrate at all and is held securely. The link to what we bought is here:

Amazon Amazon

Good luck,
DD
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced

I looked at the Samsung mount but wasn't sure if it would hold my phone while it is in an Otterbox Commuter case. Prior to the GS3 I always kept my phone "naked" and didn't use a case. One drop and a shattered screen within a week of owning the GS3 changed this approach.

I also do not really want to mount it on the windshield and refuse to "stick" anything on my dash that isn't easily removable.

I pulled the trigger on the above DC Plug mount and figured it is worth $23 to give it a shot. I should receive it on Tuesday and will let everyone know how well it works.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I just asked my wife and the Samsung mount squeezes the phone to hold it, so it should hold your phone in the Otterbox just fine. FYI.

Good luck with the new mount.
BTW, I have an 01 BMW 330 CiC...well modified of course :-)

Best,
dd
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced

OK, I ordered and received the above pictured mount and here is my opinion of it. The product quality (almost certainly Chinese) is very good. The flexible arm section is tight and actually so tight it takes a little effort to re-position it. The phone holder section does a great job holding my Galaxy SIII and it is easy to install and remove the phone from the holder. That is the good... The bad is in the DC Plug part... The unit itself is pretty high quality but the DC plug in the center dash (the one with the sliding cover) is not solid enough to hold the holder and phone. The holder has a little wheel that tightens in the DC Plug but the female part of the plug is not mounted tight enough in the dash to support the weight. I really like where the phone is positioned and how it all goes together (although it doesn't look as "clean" as I expected) but I believe with continued use the DC Plug in the car would eventually break.

I broke down and ordered a ProClip today and will try to post pics and my opinion of it after I get it installed (hopefully this weekend). Here is a link to the angled mount I am going to try. http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-veh...244-12995.aspx. I also ordered the holder that goes with it that should hold my phone in the Otterbox Commuter case I am using. Total cost with shipping was about $100.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 PM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by oc48bound
OK, I ordered and received the above pictured mount and here is my opinion of it. The product quality (almost certainly Chinese) is very good. The flexible arm section is tight and actually so tight it takes a little effort to re-position it. The phone holder section does a great job holding my Galaxy SIII and it is easy to install and remove the phone from the holder. That is the good... The bad is in the DC Plug part... The unit itself is pretty high quality but the DC plug in the center dash (the one with the sliding cover) is not solid enough to hold the holder and phone. The holder has a little wheel that tightens in the DC Plug but the female part of the plug is not mounted tight enough in the dash to support the weight. I really like where the phone is positioned and how it all goes together (although it doesn't look as "clean" as I expected) but I believe with continued use the DC Plug in the car would eventually break.

I broke down and ordered a ProClip today and will try to post pics and my opinion of it after I get it installed (hopefully this weekend). Here is a link to the angled mount I am going to try. http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-veh...244-12995.aspx. I also ordered the holder that goes with it that should hold my phone in the Otterbox Commuter case I am using. Total cost with shipping was about $100.
from all the research i did on mounts before trying to build my own, the proclip seems and probably is the best way to go. $100 price tag is steep, but hell if you got that kind of money to spend on a mount, more power to you