CarPlay dongle from NavTool

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarPlay dongle from NavTool

Has anyone purchased the new CarPlay dongle from NavTool?

APPLE CARPLAY FOR ANY CAR

I talked to them via chat about this. It plugs into an existing NavTool device as the dongle has regular video out and goes into the NavTools video input. CarPlay navigation is handled via a wireless control knob.

I've been debating getting it, but the price is steep, and I'd need to purchase a NavTool so the total cost is $700. I'm also skittish about the install instructions for the NavTool since it requires splicing and I've had splices go bad before in car stereo installs and I don't want to deal with that potentially happening since getting behind the head unit is a pain.

Since this thing also has regular RCA video and audio out, I've been debating looking for a separate screen that I could plug this into and mount elsewhere. Has anyone mounted a second screen in their car before?

Last edited by vasu; 09-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:19 PM
Banned

I just sold my TL with NavTool never had any issues , keep in mind wires are just pieces of cooper. CarPlay for TL would only run you $500
Old 07-29-2019, 11:07 AM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by vasu
Has anyone purchased the new CarPlay dongle from NavTool?

APPLE CARPLAY FOR ANY CAR

I talked to them via chat about this. It plugs into an existing NavTool device as the dongle has regular video out and goes into the NavTools video input. CarPlay navigation is handled via a wireless control knob.
I've been debating getting it, but the price is steep, and I'd need to purchase a NavTool so the total cost is $700. I'm also skittish about the install instructions for the NavTool since it requires splicing and I've had splices go bad before in car stereo installs and I don't want to deal with that potentially happening since getting behind the head unit is a pain.

Since this thing also has regular RCA video and audio out, I've been debating looking for a separate screen that I could plug this into and mount elsewhere. Has anyone mounted a second screen in their car before?
Did you ever get it?
Old 08-03-2019, 03:37 PM
10th Gear

I just got it during their 17% off sale in July for about $456 shipped. I literally just finished installing it about 30 minutes ago...it took me WAY longer than I anticipated because I just couldn't get it all back in with their main rectangle unit behind the radio. I ended up removing the glove compartment and sliding it up above that closest to the radio and shoved a lot of the wiring in with it. I have only tested it in my garage but it is just as I expected, carplay in a 2010 Acura!

For what it is worth....it took me about 5 hours to do this but I am as far from mechanically inclined as they come. I even texted with navtool customer support a few times and they were extremely patient and helpful. Someone who know what they are doing could probably get the kit installed in a couple hours max. The hardest part was figuring out where that main head unit would go...and wiring the microphone up behind the rearview mirror.

I will report back if I have any issues after using it this coming week.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by knightryder2
I just got it during their 17% off sale in July for about $456 shipped. I literally just finished installing it about 30 minutes ago...it took me WAY longer than I anticipated because I just couldn't get it all back in with their main rectangle unit behind the radio. I ended up removing the glove compartment and sliding it up above that closest to the radio and shoved a lot of the wiring in with it. I have only tested it in my garage but it is just as I expected, carplay in a 2010 Acura!

For what it is worth....it took me about 5 hours to do this but I am as far from mechanically inclined as they come. I even texted with navtool customer support a few times and they were extremely patient and helpful. Someone who know what they are doing could probably get the kit installed in a couple hours max. The hardest part was figuring out where that main head unit would go...and wiring the microphone up behind the rearview mirror.

I will report back if I have any issues after using it this coming week.
wait, your unit has TWO boxes?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:02 PM
10th Gear

sorry no, just the one main rectangle box head unit and then the harnesses that all connect behind the main radio.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:03 PM
10th Gear

this is the video they directed me to...it showed most everything but I forgot where my aux in was on my car. I needed to run the dual RCA to 3.5mm headphone jack cable to that aux port which is under the arm rest.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 AM
Pro

right on. im workin on getting my fire stick top stop the Optimizing loop at start up. Otherwise Itd be the PERFECT set up. I cant fiigure out how to make it work. Everyone say you have to use the wall plug...there has to be a work around...a hard wire or accessory work around. ANy ideas Anyone?
Old 10-02-2019, 07:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider my solution with an Android Headunit
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-a.../#post16487474