Bluetooth, iPod and Navigation Voice Headaches

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bluetooth, iPod and Navigation Voice Headaches

I picked up my new 2011 TL Tech last weekend (replacing a 2006 TSX Navi). Although I absolutely love the comfort and the ride, some of the technology features have left me utterly frustrated.

I am listing them out here - not to vent, but rather with the hopes that someone has some thoughts on how I can overcome some of these issues.

1) The navigation voice can get really REALLY annoying... especially when I'm on a phone call and it still insists on telling me to continue straight on a highway I'm already on. I would love to turn off the audible turn-by-turn guidance but leave the nav system voice active for other things (e.g., reading AcuraLink messages, audible feedback on voice commands, etc.) - however all I could figure out is to turn the volume off which kills the voice for EVERYTHING. Am I missing something or is that just the way it is?

2) The ability to import a phonebook from a cell phone seems like a nice feature - but when I have over 1000 contacts (many are business colleagues, clients, etc.) I am frustrated by the system's limiting me to 1000, and by not giving me a choice of who to include or exclude. Is there some way to import only selected contacts? (I'm using an iPhone 4, if that matters)

3) Speaking of the phonebook import, no matter what I do on my phone, the contacts come into the TL first name, then last name (which is not how I generally browse through my contacts on my phone or computer) - and this means the search feature is limited to searching for first names. Any way to change this so I can import the names as last name first?

4) Major concern re voice dialing... On my old TSX (and, from what I understand, current model cars that do not have navi systems) the "send" command could be used during a call in process to transmit more digits. On my car, it appears that once a call has started, the only way to send more digits is to use the scroll wheel or the phone itself. As my voicemail system at work requires a login string that, combined with the 10 digit access number, is longer than the max phonebook entry on the TL, I find that I can no longer check my work voicemail without manually dialing - an act which I consider unsafe. Am I missing something or am I stuck?

5) In a perfect world, I'd love to not bother with the car's voice dialing system and use the phone's built-in. However, I can't figure out a way to trigger the phone's native voice dialing using controls from the car. Further, if I pick up the handset and initiate voice dialing from there, the call gets connected on the handset, not the HFL system (different than when I use a basic bluetooth headset with the phone). Any thoughts on how to get around this challenge?

6) Lastly - and this has nothing to do with the technology issues, but as long as I'm on a roll with my questions... Any guess how I can set the trip computer so the elapsed time for Trip A resets when I turn on the ignition, but the other stats (including trip odometer and mileage) reset upon refueling? (I had my TSX set up that way)

Thank you to the more experienced TL owners out there who can help me out with these questions.

THANKS!!!

AMG
Old 04-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amg212
I picked up my new 2011 TL Tech last weekend (replacing a 2006 TSX Navi). Although I absolutely love the comfort and the ride, some of the technology features have left me utterly frustrated.

I am listing them out here - not to vent, but rather with the hopes that someone has some thoughts on how I can overcome some of these issues.

3) Speaking of the phonebook import, no matter what I do on my phone, the contacts come into the TL first name, then last name (which is not how I generally browse through my contacts on my phone or computer) - and this means the search feature is limited to searching for first names. Any way to change this so I can import the names as last name first?

5) In a perfect world, I'd love to not bother with the car's voice dialing system and use the phone's built-in. However, I can't figure out a way to trigger the phone's native voice dialing using controls from the car. Further, if I pick up the handset and initiate voice dialing from there, the call gets connected on the handset, not the HFL system (different than when I use a basic bluetooth headset with the phone). Any thoughts on how to get around this challenge?
I just picked up my 2011 TSX and am having the same two issues as these two you listed with my iPhone 4. Any luck solving them so far?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:15 PM
2nd Gear

I am in complete agreement with these issues, plus a long list of associated frustrations. While the car is comfortable, drives well and is an excellent value, the flaws in the execution of the technology are enough that I would not buy the car again if they are not addressed intelligently.

I have written a letter to Acura to that affect, addressed to the president.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have your problem (1) and (5), too... cannot find a solution yet...

For (4), you can input additional digit on your phone, even it is already connected to HFL.

On top of your questions, I also find it is impossible to modify the existing phone book, the HFL system cannot perform a sync, but it will have to re-import the entire phone book from your phone if you just add/modify one entry on your phone...