blew a speaker...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blew a speaker...

i blew my front passenger side speaker.
anyone know where i can order a brand new ELS speaker?
thanks..
Old 12-19-2015, 08:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
or whatever company the speaker is...
Old 12-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Try fleabay or dealer.
The following users liked this post:
greeneyes.hypnotize (12-30-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 06:49 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Maybe upgrade that speaker in general?
Old 12-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
I had to replace my speaker a little while back; only place to find a new replacement, as near as I could tell, was the dealer.

As for upgrading, I spoke with a number of people in the industry, and they all agreed that putting in a "better" speaker would not make any change; one would need to change out the amp and, likely, the rest of the speakers, in order to change the sound. I was looking at replacing both front door speakers, and the guys at the shops (who should have been prepared to take my money) all agreed that I should either just replace the speaker with the same type, or upgrade the entire system. There was no halfway.

Note, however, that I myself know little to nothing about audio equipment.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I had to replace my speaker a little while back; only place to find a new replacement, as near as I could tell, was the dealer.

As for upgrading, I spoke with a number of people in the industry, and they all agreed that putting in a "better" speaker would not make any change; one would need to change out the amp and, likely, the rest of the speakers, in order to change the sound. I was looking at replacing both front door speakers, and the guys at the shops (who should have been prepared to take my money) all agreed that I should either just replace the speaker with the same type, or upgrade the entire system. There was no halfway.

Note, however, that I myself know little to nothing about audio equipment.
You can use any 2-ohm replacement speaker that fits and it'll sound better than the factory one. Most aftermarket speakers are 4-ohm meaning they require twice the amperage for the same amount of movement/sound. The factory speakers are paper and not that great. Pair that with some new tweeters that are also 2-ohm and you are good to go.

A lot of Honda/Acura folks like Infinity Speakers for their easy drop in replacements. They are much better constructed and sound clearer and don't break the bank. I'd do the tweeters and midranges together.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
You can use any 2-ohm replacement speaker that fits and it'll sound better than the factory one. Most aftermarket speakers are 4-ohm meaning they require twice the amperage for the same amount of movement/sound. The factory speakers are paper and not that great. Pair that with some new tweeters that are also 2-ohm and you are good to go.

A lot of Honda/Acura folks like Infinity Speakers for their easy drop in replacements. They are much better constructed and sound clearer and don't break the bank. I'd do the tweeters and midranges together.
That seems intuitive to me, and that's certainly how I approached it. However more than one "stereo guy" said I would be losing quality. Something about how the sound was routed from the head unit, requiring the system to be reworked with a new amp. I can't recall the exact details. But these were guys that one would expect to be trying to sell me new stuff, but even when they knew I wasn't replacing the headunit or amp, guided me back to the dealership for an OEM replacement.

Also, from what I saw, replacement 2 ohm speakers aren't exactly easy to find.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
That seems intuitive to me, and that's certainly how I approached it. However more than one "stereo guy" said I would be losing quality. Something about how the sound was routed from the head unit, requiring the system to be reworked with a new amp. I can't recall the exact details. But these were guys that one would expect to be trying to sell me new stuff, but even when they knew I wasn't replacing the headunit or amp, guided me back to the dealership for an OEM replacement.

Also, from what I saw, replacement 2 ohm speakers aren't exactly easy to find.
OEM head unit has an amp that puts out about 20 watts a speaker. A lot of 3G folks loved the infinity upgrade and I'd imagine itd be the same with the 4G. Worse case scenario you can sell/return them.