Anybody backup/copy their DVD-A discs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody backup/copy their DVD-A discs?

Hello fellow TLers! I have been trying to make backup copies of my original DVD-A discs so that I can keep the originals safe in storage at home and not have to worry about damaging the duplicates that I use in the car. I have always successfully used DVDfab for my regular movie discs, but it seems to have problems with some (not all) of my DVD-A discs, presumably due to some funky encryption on some of these DVD-A discs? An example includes the OEM factory ELS demo disc. The symptom of these failed copies is that the tracks will begin to play normally, but then about 30-60 or so seconds into the track, the audio cuts out completely and plays silent. I'm able to skip to the next track without issue and start playback, but again, the audio cuts out seconds into the playing.

Is anyone else backing up the DVD-As? Does anyone have a recommendation on an alternate program with which they've had 100% success on all DVD-A discs? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannot help with the backing up question, but can you tell me where you are finding DVD-A discs? Any suggestions on where to purchase, and titles available?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Booth
Cannot help with the backing up question, but can you tell me where you are finding DVD-A discs? Any suggestions on where to purchase, and titles available?
Amazon

Lots of good suggestions on there of every genre
Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JW Booth
Sounds like you too are finding a hard time finding DVD-A music. There are a handful of titles in stock at Amazon, but otherwise, I've resorted to eBay and other online specialty shops, such as acousticsounds.com. I don't know if anyone is really producing anymore DVD-A, so it seems that whatever is left out there is the world's remaining supply
Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HiroY
Hello fellow TLers! I have been trying to make backup copies of my original DVD-A discs so that I can keep the originals safe in storage at home and not have to worry about damaging the duplicates that I use in the car. I have always successfully used DVDfab for my regular movie discs, but it seems to have problems with some (not all) of my DVD-A discs, presumably due to some funky encryption on some of these DVD-A discs? An example includes the OEM factory ELS demo disc. The symptom of these failed copies is that the tracks will begin to play normally, but then about 30-60 or so seconds into the track, the audio cuts out completely and plays silent. I'm able to skip to the next track without issue and start playback, but again, the audio cuts out seconds into the playing.

Is anyone else backing up the DVD-As? Does anyone have a recommendation on an alternate program with which they've had 100% success on all DVD-A discs? Thanks in advance!
I'm not certain, but I think DVD-A discs are pretty strongly copy-protected.

On the DVD-A front, I can point you to a forum where you can get a lot of information on DVD-A discs: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forum.php

It is a forum on surround sound and they have separate topics on DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD) and other surround formats. Though new DVD-Audio titles have almost stopped, there are still some artists producing them, like Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree. Also some older bands like King Crimson are issuing retrospectives in DVD-A, with three titles in late 2009 and some expected this year.

Not much, but it's something!

You can also still find a stray DVD-A at FRY's in Southern CA...maybe online as well.

They are worth the hunting!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Intermediate

Also try elusivedisc.com. I bought there with good results. At Amazon, be warned that sometimes the search results turn up non-DVD-A discs also. Some are DTS discs which may or may not play in the TL.