Advice on add-on GPS

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on add-on GPS

I have the 2012 base model and have been thinking about a dash cam. Too many accidents in my area! But then I thought it may be nice to get the integrated GPS with dash cam built in since my car doesn't have the built-in Nav. Thinking about 2 Garmins - one is 5 inch and the other 6 inch. I am liking the idea of the larger screen but concerned about it affecting visibility more since it's going to sit on the dash below the rear-view mirror (most likely). I even wonder if 6 inch would fit very well considering the steep rake of the windshield and the height of the dash there since there is a hump where the radio display screen sits in the center of the dash ...

Just wondered if anyone reading this has tried a 5 or 6 inch add-on GPS in their base model TL and how they felt about the size vs visibility concerns. BTW - I have looked at camera only options and I realize those would be less intrusive and block less. And I have also seen the rear mirror replacement options with built-in Nav but not really wanting to go that route ...

Thanks
Old 03-19-2016, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get yourself a standalone dashcam and use your phone for your GPS.

I was going to upgrade my car's GPS this year since there is a sale for 99 dollars, but I've been using my phone to see how I like it, I must admit it works extremely well and it even has live traffic reports when using Google Maps.

For dashcam, I recommend the Street Guardian
Amazon.com: Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 Dash Camera (2016 Edition: Supercapacitor, Sony Exmor IMX322 WDR CMOS Sensor, 1080P/30FPS, 32GB MicroSD Card, USB MicroSD Card Reader, GPS): Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Street Guardian SG9665GC V2 Dash Camera (2016 Edition: Supercapacitor, Sony Exmor IMX322 WDR CMOS Sensor, 1080P/30FPS, 32GB MicroSD Card, USB MicroSD Card Reader, GPS): Cell Phones & Accessories
The following users liked this post:
jdigeorgio (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah - I was starting to lean towards the stand alone dashcam. Had the tape measure out this morning and no matter where I place the GPS, it's going to decrease visibility. And I already am using Google Maps on my phone quite extensively.

Appreciate the cam recommendation. I had been going back and worth on which one to get. It appears the Street Guardian has almost perfect reviews.