4G TL subwoofer rattle, clanking, etc SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 08:08 AM
6th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
4G TL subwoofer rattle, clanking, etc SOLVED

Hello Ziners,

This is my first post so please excuse me if this was covered in a previous thread. I have been using Acurazine for any issues I've encountered with my 2012 TL, and never got a definitive concrete answer to this but I figured it out on my own and felt I should share.

SO, anyone ever get the ever so embarrassing rattle in your rear sub? I did. AND IT WAS LOUD. Only fixes on here I've found ranged from stuffing socks into small crevices or removing your seats to remove the speaker shelf and put some expensive Dynomat in there. But as I have discovered it does not solve the core issue. See the true problem is that on the 4th gen TL AND Honda accords is that they put a very cheap and flimsy piece of sheet metal for the rear speaker shelf. The most vulnerable points on this shelf is where they screwed down the subwoofer due to the heavy vibrations that the sub puts out (LOL). So ziners, if you have this issue with your 4G TL, simply go into your trunk, remove the carpeted cover below your speaker deck, inspect and locate -- wait for it -- CRACKS in the metal. Yes, that's right. cracks in the metal. That's how crappy the rear speaker shelf is. Smh. A way you can test to see if its a crack and not just a paint flaw is you put on a song with heavy bass that you usually hear rattling on and place your finger on it with light pressure to see if the rattling stops. If it does get a marker and draw at least a one inch diameter oval around the pesky thing. Next step, go to your local Walmart and pick up JBWeld Steel Stick putty. Cut a one inch piece off and knead it like dough. Once it turns to a uniform color. Place the putty around your marked area and make sure to thin out the putty around the edges. Leave your trunk open to air out and cure the putty for an hour. Come back an hour later play the same track and go into your audio settings and equalizer and turn your bass and treble down to -6, and the balance to R6 and your subwoofer to +6. Hit some heavy bass to your sub. Viola, rattle is gone. And for 5 dollars. If you still have a rattle, cut two more pieces of putty and cover the radius of each screw holding down subwoofer. Let it cure. 1 hour later test it again. Should be gone.
The following 6 users liked this post by Ahmet Letif:
echodigital (05-16-2017), Ermis (05-27-2020), htown77048 (05-23-2018), owenTL (05-23-2021), rainydays (05-15-2017), Riboflavin (05-18-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Old 05-20-2017, 02:12 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet does this work well? I'm running to Walmart and getting it done tonigh....it's been 3yrs since I've seen +6 on the woofer lol
Old 06-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Cruisin'

there is a service bulletin thru acura for this concern, ive done a couple. it involves physically cutting out the whole sub area and installing a thicker piece of metal for the frame for the sub. def a process. if your repair works then go for it. acura fixed this issue with of course just a thicker rear shelf area
Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
See TSB 13-007 - Rattle or Vibration From the Rear Speakers in the 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 TSB threads.

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...inside-945434/
Old 06-27-2017, 01:59 PM
2nd Gear

Yeahh I had this same issue with my TL and I had to put a piece of soft foam in between the crevice where the window meets the speakers in the back. i think I'm going to try using that putty like u did and see if that looks better than the little piece of foam I have in my car lol
Old 03-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Im going to try this but im going to do the entire shelf too add weight cause my JL sub makes the shelf rattle way too much im going to place JB weld on the entire top part of shelf around the speakers and place either foam or frost king duct insulation on the bottom and im going to use frost king on the entire trunk because dynamat is too expensive hopefully it will eliminate most of the rattle thanks man.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ahmet Letif
Hello Ziners,

This is my first post so please excuse me if this was covered in a previous thread. I have been using Acurazine for any issues I've encountered with my 2012 TL, and never got a definitive concrete answer to this but I figured it out on my own and felt I should share.

SO, anyone ever get the ever so embarrassing rattle in your rear sub? I did. AND IT WAS LOUD. Only fixes on here I've found ranged from stuffing socks into small crevices or removing your seats to remove the speaker shelf and put some expensive Dynomat in there. But as I have discovered it does not solve the core issue. See the true problem is that on the 4th gen TL AND Honda accords is that they put a very cheap and flimsy piece of sheet metal for the rear speaker shelf. The most vulnerable points on this shelf is where they screwed down the subwoofer due to the heavy vibrations that the sub puts out (LOL). So ziners, if you have this issue with your 4G TL, simply go into your trunk, remove the carpeted cover below your speaker deck, inspect and locate -- wait for it -- CRACKS in the metal. Yes, that's right. cracks in the metal. That's how crappy the rear speaker shelf is. Smh. A way you can test to see if its a crack and not just a paint flaw is you put on a song with heavy bass that you usually hear rattling on and place your finger on it with light pressure to see if the rattling stops. If it does get a marker and draw at least a one inch diameter oval around the pesky thing. Next step, go to your local Walmart and pick up JBWeld Steel Stick putty. Cut a one inch piece off and knead it like dough. Once it turns to a uniform color. Place the putty around your marked area and make sure to thin out the putty around the edges. Leave your trunk open to air out and cure the putty for an hour. Come back an hour later play the same track and go into your audio settings and equalizer and turn your bass and treble down to -6, and the balance to R6 and your subwoofer to +6. Hit some heavy bass to your sub. Viola, rattle is gone. And for 5 dollars. If you still have a rattle, cut two more pieces of putty and cover the radius of each screw holding down subwoofer. Let it cure. 1 hour later test it again. Should be gone.
Man I'm pretty sure you saved me a few hours of work\frustration. I can def say this resolved my issue!
The following 2 users liked this post by htown77048:
Inazario2020 (09-06-2020), owenTL (05-23-2021)
Old 05-26-2018, 01:11 PM
5th Gear

I had a similar rattle on my 3G TL could never find it and eventually gave up
Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 AM
2nd Gear

Hey so I figured out how to fix the rear rattle in my 09shawd..but I seem to have rattles coming from my front driver door as well when playing music with certain amounts of bass. Anyone have any ideas or help on that? If I just touch the door panel/molding with a little pressure the noise stops
Old 06-11-2018, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RIP06TL
I had a similar rattle on my 3G TL could never find it and eventually gave up
I saw a thread for your problem and it’s actually a quite different solution. What you have to do is take off the plastic cover off the top panel and then there’s an open hole that you have to insulate to prevent it from rattling as much, you could probably find the exact thread to help better but you pretty much just have to stick a sock in it and hope it works lol. Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:40 PM
4th Gear

Fyi

Just wanted to confirm this worked for me. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2020, 10:33 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
How easy or hard is it to remove the 'carpet' truck liners? I was hoping to lubricate the Trunk hinges. For people that have done this already, do you have access to the trunk hinges?