4G Base Aftermarket Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 03:57 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts
im looking into a company called navtool. They have screen mirroring and Carplay and android auto for our makes and models. Once im done with my install I will let you guys know how it goes.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you could PM me the specs for your build I'd greatly appreciate it . And how do you control the top screen?
Old 08-05-2019, 12:29 PM
10th Gear

Hey guys. I have been reading all of this thread but it seems all of you that have replaced the radio do not have the tech package. I have the tech package on my SH and have already installed all new speakers, sub, and amps. The sub sounds crazy good but the voice actually sounds worst than factory. I know its because no matter what you do, the factory radios suck. At least in my opinion compared to what I have experienced with aftermarket headunits. I am currently using the JL fix 86. It sounds ok, but I know that it could sound way better if I just had a different headunit.

Have any of you that have the tech package replaced the radio?
Old 08-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
As you have mentioned, replacing the radio in the base model seems to be a no brainer. The radio and AC are fairly separate, and the AC stuff continues to display on the top screen after replacing the factory radio with the Aftermarket Radio.

The tech version adds quite a bit if complications:

1) The AC information is displayed on the Small LCD Screen of the radio. that means if you replace the radio, you lose All visibility of the AC settings (temperature, Mode, AC ON/OFF, Fan speed, etc, etc, etc.
2) The top screen is completely controlled by the stock radio. If you replace the radio, the top screen goes completely dark. you could potentially hack it and use a Composite video to RGB adapter to connect it to your aftermarket radio as a second screen, but it would just display exactly what the screen on the aftermarket radio is displaying.
3) The tech version displays diagnostic troubleshooting information and supplemental diagnostic information for maintenance issues and trouble codes when the warning lights come on in the cluster (for example, when you get a TPMS error, it tells you which of the four wheels are not reading). All this info would be lost by replacing the radio, and you would then have to go to the dealer of a specialized Honda mechanic who can read the codes every time you get a warning light.

I'm in the same conundrum with my 2010 TL. I would LOVE a nice double din radio with CarPlay and touchscreen, but I'm not willing to lose the above functionality by making the change.

I've looked at Navtool, and while adding CarPlay would be very nice, I'm hesitant to spend that much and still not have touchscreen.while I understand it does a lot considering it is an aftermarket add-on, to my knowledge, it does not fully integrate into the car as seamless as a dedicated CarPlay receiver would.

I would love to find someone local (South Florida) who has Navtool installed so I can get some hands on testing time before committing to spend that much money.
The following users liked this post:
dee_snutts (08-02-2020)
Old 08-06-2019, 04:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SoFla David
As you have mentioned, replacing the radio in the base model seems to be a no brainer. The radio and AC are fairly separate, and the AC stuff continues to display on the top screen after replacing the factory radio with the Aftermarket Radio.

The tech version adds quite a bit if complications:

1) The AC information is displayed on the Small LCD Screen of the radio. that means if you replace the radio, you lose All visibility of the AC settings (temperature, Mode, AC ON/OFF, Fan speed, etc, etc, etc.
2) The top screen is completely controlled by the stock radio. If you replace the radio, the top screen goes completely dark. you could potentially hack it and use a Composite video to RGB adapter to connect it to your aftermarket radio as a second screen, but it would just display exactly what the screen on the aftermarket radio is displaying.
3) The tech version displays diagnostic troubleshooting information and supplemental diagnostic information for maintenance issues and trouble codes when the warning lights come on in the cluster (for example, when you get a TPMS error, it tells you which of the four wheels are not reading). All this info would be lost by replacing the radio, and you would then have to go to the dealer of a specialized Honda mechanic who can read the codes every time you get a warning light.

I'm in the same conundrum with my 2010 TL. I would LOVE a nice double din radio with CarPlay and touchscreen, but I'm not willing to lose the above functionality by making the change.

I've looked at Navtool, and while adding CarPlay would be very nice, I'm hesitant to spend that much and still not have touchscreen.while I understand it does a lot considering it is an aftermarket add-on, to my knowledge, it does not fully integrate into the car as seamless as a dedicated CarPlay receiver would.

I would love to find someone local (South Florida) who has Navtool installed so I can get some hands on testing time before committing to spend that much money.
I have Navtool and fire stick. It’s amazing. U do t even need touch screen. CarPlay. And Netflix and sooooooo many channels. PM ME. I’ve installed this in friends area as well. .
Old 08-06-2019, 08:45 PM
10th Gear

Is there a way to leave the factory radio but replace the screen with an aftermarket double din. I was thinking that maybe there is a way we can just set up the double din to accept the factory video output . That way you can display the factory radio information when needed on the new screen. Then, when you wanted, you would just change the input on the new radio to use apple. CarPlay.

I was looking at the wiring for the factory screen but it has a lot of wires. I read that if the canbus wires are open, it will affect other items in the system. There has got to be a way to “trick” the system into thinking the factory screen is connected. Maybe with resistors or something. Any ideas?
Old 08-06-2019, 11:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jessemagana
Is there a way to leave the factory radio but replace the screen with an aftermarket double din. I was thinking that maybe there is a way we can just set up the double din to accept the factory video output . That way you can display the factory radio information when needed on the new screen. Then, when you wanted, you would just change the input on the new radio to use apple. CarPlay.

I was looking at the wiring for the factory screen but it has a lot of wires. I read that if the canbus wires are open, it will affect other items in the system. There has got to be a way to “trick” the system into thinking the factory screen is connected. Maybe with resistors or something. Any ideas?
i tried that. the ONLY 2din radios that would fit was the ones from china... No big name brands. See photos of the system I had BEFORE I switched to navtool. Trust me....ur wasting ur times.. LOts of issues, trouble and never ending drama trying to figure out how to keep important car functions..

cgardner1054 (09-15-2020)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:23 PM
10th Gear

I see. So the screen you had on the top is very shallow and there is not enough room for a normal double din.

If I can figure out how to display the factory video output to aftermarket screen, I am thinking of installing a double din on top by making a custom panel.
the custom panel would eliminate the plastic clear cover in front of the stock screen and bring the new double din forward closer towards the cabin. That way you can access the touchscreen and it would give you the space needed to fit a Kenwood.

The trick is figuring out how to display the output of the factory video to the new screen. I gotta do some more research on the harness at the factory screen.

Last edited by jessemagana; 08-09-2019 at 05:26 PM.
cgardner1054 (09-15-2020)
Old 09-05-2019, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help

hello,

i’ve purchased the dash kit and wired up my Sony AxAv-100 head unit to a honda harness, but as i suspected would happen, i have no audio. the head unit fires up and functions normally like it did in my accord, but the audio does not play.

my car is a 2010 TL SH-AWD Base

any info on the easiest work around would be incredibly helpful
Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by chelwagen
hello,

i’ve purchased the dash kit and wired up my Sony AxAv-100 head unit to a honda harness, but as i suspected would happen, i have no audio. the head unit fires up and functions normally like it did in my accord, but the audio does not play.

my car is a 2010 TL SH-AWD Base

any info on the easiest work around would be incredibly helpful
I believe you have to run new speaker wires to your new HU to get it to work. What i did was run new wires from the honda harness all the way the the trunk where the factory amp is. I made my own harness from a broken amp and plugged it into the oem wire harness in the back.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Help on 2010 Tl

Originally Posted by Markbby06
I get very little glare on the screen. May depend on what type of unit you have, my wife's kenwood isn't as bright and would have issues.
what adapter did you use to retail the factory climate control and rear view camera? Ive been looking on a lot of forums and cant find any info... any help would be nice.

-thanks
Old 09-08-2020, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
i tried that. the ONLY 2din radios that would fit was the ones from china... No big name brands. See photos of the system I had BEFORE I switched to navtool. Trust me....ur wasting ur times.. LOts of issues, trouble and never ending drama trying to figure out how to keep important car functions..

So soes
Old 09-08-2020, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear

So does the navtool still work as intended with the dash kit or did you have to go back to oem
Old 09-15-2020, 06:56 PM
3rd Gear

Beautiful install, I cant believe more people arent wanting to take advantage of the upper video screen. Im about to do the same on my car, any luck on finding a way to retain the factory air display on a lcd?
Old 06-25-2021, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

Acura TL pioneer Radio

Originally Posted by Markbby06
I haven't seen any one post about this yet, so I figured Id put up some info and a pic. Metras new kit for 09-14 came out in May- 99-7808B. Honda harness and ant adapter.
I didn't take photos on radio removal, but both side pieces snap off, and then the air vents snap straight out. (4) 8mm bolts remove the radio.

Transfer the Air controls to the new kit and mount radio(double din or single din)

If you just use the honda harness you will only get sound out of the front speakers. I ran RCA's for an amp at a later date. I used couplers off those and another set of cheap RCA's to cut off and tap into the factory amp inputs(passenger side rear behind trunk panel)

There is not a lot of room behind the radio, but it wasn't too terrible to get everything to fit.

Sound with stock stuff is ok, not terrible but better than with stock radio.
how did you get the climate control feature on the top screen?
Old 06-25-2021, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Base models show the climate control on the top screen from the factory since they don’t have the factory navigation system.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:13 PM
Banned

i had a 2005 TL and now i have a 2010. what i did on my 05 was take apart the factory radio and i put the circuit board out of it and plugged it in. i tucked it in my dash so the factory navigation would still work and i wouldnt have a blank screen on my dash. but in my 2010 with the dash kit it seems to eliminate the controls for the navigation. so,, im a bit hesitant on changing out my head unit. but i would love to put my pioneer double din in