Are you ready to pay more for a 2012?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Are you ready to pay more for a 2012?

Many of us purchased our cars with BIG discounts, $5K average. We heard from those who did not like the front or rear that Acura would have to Give Them Away! When we brought up the argument about the economy we were shot down, and told Acura could not sell the TL as it was Ugly, oh that front and rear! They showed us how the 4th gen sales declined when introduced compared to 3G sales. Since I love the style of the 4th gen, I was also excited to get my 2010 SH-AWD Tech at a HEAVY discount! All this car for $38K!!!

So now comes the car everyone will love! The 2012 is it, Oh that gorgeous style, Oh Acura got it right, they toned it all down, made it look more traditional!
So if I was Acura, and now that I have a home run on my hands, Why Would I Need To Discount my cars???

So we will all have to wait, but I wonder who will be the first person to purchase one or NOT, and could they be complaining that they not only would not discount the car, but actually Marked It Up?? After all, why discount the 2012 when they have lots full of 2011 to sell first... Also, since the line to get a 2012 will be out the front door and around the block who holds the advantage, you or Acura sales force!

Just something I was thinking about!

And if you really don't like the look of your 2009,2010 or 2011, just wait till the 2012 have been out 6 months, go out on the freeway, slam on your breaks after hitting someone with the front of your car, the car behind you hits the back of your car, then just ask your insurance company to put 2012 parts back on!

Big Rain Storm heading for San Diego, can't wait to get the SH-AWD on the road Saturday
Old 02-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Do you even have a point? I fail to find it if you have one. You don't liek the '12, you are certain that Acura will not mark down the '12?

Why start this thread? You have your 2010! You love it.. so why hate Acura for re-styling? All car makers do it! Are you angry about something? You wishing Acura had changed earlier? *shrug*

Last edited by Stew4HD; 02-26-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:11 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well for one, discounts/incentives are still huge across the board.. economy still sucks remember?

Two, If acura didn't give me close to the $5,000-6,000 i got off MSRP, i'd be in a G37 sedan right now. For example, lexus and audi didn't want to budge with the IS350 or A5.. so i took them off my list right away. I'm sure a many others that were deciding between other cars would have chosen the other car.

Lastly, they changed the front and rear bumpers, added a new (probably overpriced) package that forces a larger wheel option, and a few other minor changes. People that were borderline may buy the TL now, but anyone else that didn't like it has already bought something else or will not look at the TL due to other (more significant) factors that merely changing bumpers will not fix.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Indeed and if the '12 doesn't sell well.. they will have to discount it to sell.. as they ALWAYS do. No time to panic.

If one doesn't like the looks of the '12, there are plenty of '11's out there available.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:34 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I dunno. I think that theres quite a few people who couldn't consider the TL because of the grill. Now, they will take a look and when they drive it they will buy it.

I test drove a G37 the other day and it was faster then the TL, but thats about the only advantage it had.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I doubt they will "mark up" the 2012 TL, that segment is too competitive. The G37 is kicking Acura's butt and has great discounts so I don't think it will be long before there are incentives on the 2012, porbbaly as soon as the 11s are gone. The discounts may not be as steep, but I am sure they will exisit. I got rid of my 09 AWD becasue the style was not growing on me enough and jumped to Infiniti. I want to jump back to a TL, I do expect to pay a premium to come back if I come back in the next 2-3 months, otherwise I wait 6 months and will get a decent deal. In the end this segment has way too much competition for dealer to command too much for the car, most buyers are not overly loyal to a particular brand and go with what style and price hey like. Others buy a name plate for status and unfortunantley that usually rules Acura out as mainstream people don't usually lump Acura with Audi, BMW, and MB. I paid a huge premium to get my 09 AWD becaue at that time int he South AWD was rare I got only like a $1500 off MSRP, but I did love driving my 09 AWD for the 18 months I owned it and don't feel bad at what I paid.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything will be discounted. I think that Acura did improve on the '12. However, in todays economy there is no way a dealer or manufacturer can command premium prices. Here in the Chicagoland area you see dealers with refreshed models already discounting them heavily and with special financing. That usually doesn't happen until the new model year is coming in. I think the people who are reporting on the annual cars sales are blwoing smoke up our @^& because majority of dealers here are overflowing with cars on their lots. I have never seen so many cars on their lots period. I think sales are coming along but not quite as they would like. I honestly think the same rebate/discounts will be on the '12 TL by summer:-). Hell Acura is still trying to get rid of '10 models here - lol.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Rained like Hell but it was fun as well!!

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX

Big Rain Storm heading for San Diego, can't wait to get the SH-AWD on the road Saturday
Went down to Quallcomm Stadium (San Diego Chargers) this morning to test out the TL in lots of rain! They block off a lot of the parking lot, but in preparation for an event, they had a lot more open then normal. So my friend who tipped me off was correct, so let the fun begin... I pushed the TL nearly to its limit and for the first time felt what it was like when even SH-AWD will break loose. In most cases my nerves got to me well in advance of the car loosing traction, but how it shifted the power around was just amazing. For me the lesson learned is the TL will respond to fast critical situations where you need to maneuver around some obstacle and the car will just do, in most case, what you tell it to do. It is just an amazing automobile that Acura created.... I had about 20 minutes to play around, some speeds were near 50 MPH as I turned sharply... But then those Security folks showed up, and asked me politely to leave... I am just disappointed my wife would not come with me, stand in the pouring rain , to shoot this event..

I am a Very Happy Person, at peace with myself and my car...
Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I bet that was fun racing around at the big Q.

As with most new models, the early purchasers may be paying list price, but discounting will quickly follow a few months later. The loaded 2012 will be more expensive than the outgoing 2011 but it also has more features that warrant a price increase.

I would be tempted for a 2012 but the extra 5.5" of length makes it a tight fit in my garage space without risking a garage door shave down the bumper. I have had a couple shaves with my 3G despite my best efforts.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
Went down to Quallcomm Stadium (San Diego Chargers) this morning to test out the TL in lots of rain! They block off a lot of the parking lot, but in preparation for an event, they had a lot more open then normal. So my friend who tipped me off was correct, so let the fun begin... I pushed the TL nearly to its limit and for the first time felt what it was like when even SH-AWD will break loose. In most cases my nerves got to me well in advance of the car loosing traction, but how it shifted the power around was just amazing. For me the lesson learned is the TL will respond to fast critical situations where you need to maneuver around some obstacle and the car will just do, in most case, what you tell it to do. It is just an amazing automobile that Acura created.... I had about 20 minutes to play around, some speeds were near 50 MPH as I turned sharply... But then those Security folks showed up, and asked me politely to leave... I am just disappointed my wife would not come with me, stand in the pouring rain , to shoot this event..

I am a Very Happy Person, at peace with myself and my car...
Nice one RSLTSX09XMNAVWX. that sounds fun. One big thing that sold me on the car was power sliding around corners in snowy icy Calgary.

I took my friend who has a 2008 Type S on a test drive on a warmer dry day. Upon teariing it up on the dry corners on warm day he is now looking into getting a 2012.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm pretty sure 2012s will be heavily discounted after a while as well.
The big discount + low apr was one of the main factors in getting the 09 for me.

I was thinking that the deal will be even better on 2011s once the 2012s hit the lot.
I'm seriously thinking about trading in my 09 5AT for an 11 6MT but I'm not sure if I want to buy the same car again (different feel, but basically the same car).
Old 02-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwjang86
I'm pretty sure 2012s will be heavily discounted after a while as well.
The big discount + low apr was one of the main factors in getting the 09 for me.

I was thinking that the deal will be even better on 2011s once the 2012s hit the lot.
I'm seriously thinking about trading in my 09 5AT for an 11 6MT but I'm not sure if I want to buy the same car again (different feel, but basically the same car).
I'm in a similar situation, but i plan to wait until the 2012's have deals. If I can get a similar deal that I got for my 2010, I may bite.. then again there will be other newer cars on the market by then. I really just want SHAWD and ventilated seats, not sure if that's worth taking a $6,000 loss and paying another $4,000 for SHAWD (as an upgrade over base) and another $3,000-4,000 (est) for the advanced pkg. That's kind of a hefty amount for a car that is still somewhat of a compromise. (for example, still no folding rear seats? no auto rear windows for $46-47k??) Hopefully i can just wait it out and not get another one. There are always better cars coming out.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Nawh. Let everyone who bitched about the grille perk up the sales for Acura, then the so called car critics slice it and dice it up, then Acura will add a few new tricks to the pony in the 5G. Then and only then would I consider another Acura TL.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

It's not just people that didn't like the grille that are going to but the new TL. I have an ''08 and it's time for an upgrade.. I was going to grab an '11 but the '12's are so close to release.

There are other things beside the grille that add to the '12 that make it something I want to buy. I look forward to owning one!

I xpect RonJon to have some cool stuff for the '12 at some point.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Nawh. Let everyone who bitched about the grille perk up the sales for Acura, then the so called car critics slice it and dice it up, then Acura will add a few new tricks to the pony in the 5G. Then and only then would I consider another Acura TL.
with the way honda/acura upgrades their vehicles, unless you wanted to be the first with the lastest look, i'd wait for each generations MMC to buy. That way, you get the vehicle that is actually right for the market, not their first year (or two) experiment.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
with the way honda/acura upgrades their vehicles, unless you wanted to be the first with the lastest look, i'd wait for each generations MMC to buy. That way, you get the vehicle that is actually right for the market, not their first year (or two) experiment.

So true. In 2001 I picked up my 2G 3.2 CL, by 2003 there were tail light revisions, Euro front end treatment and a few other changes. Then, poof, no more CL at all.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
So true. In 2001 I picked up my 2G 3.2 CL, by 2003 there were tail light revisions, Euro front end treatment and a few other changes. Then, poof, no more CL at all.
Well for my situation, it happened with 2 cars. First with my 06 civic. I thought it looked great so my parents bought it for me (and as a family car), then the next year, they put in a UBS port for music, the year after, they put in the leather with heated seats and side mirrors, etc. these are things that I think should be there first. I mean if anything early adopters are the one that are willing to put the cash out for larger purchases and deal with problems.. why is honda holding out on them?

Then my TL and this extensive MMC... I wanted ventilated seats but they don't offer it in the beginning? damit..

Then there are other vehicles like the RDX. When it came out in 2007, the suspension was brutal, it didn't even have a power passenger seat, bluetooth was limited to the tech model. They added driver memory seat in 2008, a power passenger seat in 2009, and added USB in 2010.. (and still no 6 speed auto? no push button start?) They also softened the suspension a few times. I mean holy crap do they not think of these things while developing the car?

and the RL dying on a vine with incremental yearly updates.. it finally got the 6 speed auto for 2011..

Anyways, my point is that acura moves like a snail, and if you like that particular generation of vehicle, the longer you wait the better, you'll eventually get the best version of that vehicle.

I'm heavily considering this MMC TL even though i'll take a huge loss. Why? because if i actually wait for the MMC 5GTL, i'll need to wait til 2017!! or if I wait for the MMC 2GRDX i may need to wait as far as 2015-2017 (est) Or around the same range for other new/unreleased acuras.. That's a long time to be unhappy with a car.

Last edited by jasonwdp10; 02-28-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Then there are other vehicles like the RDX. When it came out in 2007, the suspension was brutal, it didn't even have a power passenger seat, bluetooth was limited to the tech model. They added driver memory seat in 2008, a power passenger seat in 2009, and added USB in 2010.. (and still no 6 speed auto? no push button start?) They also softened the suspension a few times. I mean holy crap do they not think of these things while developing the car?

GF has a 10 RDX and the suspension still sucks, way too stiff for what t is and a bit bouncy tire too all. The Turbo while nice comes on too strong and sucks gas. How does Hyuandai do a Turbo Sonota with 274HP and better MPG and runs on regular? GF is looking to move to a TSX later this year.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KeithL
GF has a 10 RDX and the suspension still sucks, way too stiff for what t is and a bit bouncy tire too all. The Turbo while nice comes on too strong and sucks gas. How does Hyuandai do a Turbo Sonota with 274HP and better MPG and runs on regular? GF is looking to move to a TSX later this year.
I know what you mean. My cousin has a 07 RDX and when we go over larger bumps/potholes, it feels like i'm being punched in the gut. His gas mileage is about 13mpg too -__-
Old 02-28-2011, 04:32 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
...or if I wait for the MMC 2GRDX i may need to wait as far as 2015-2017 (est) Or around the same range for other new/unreleased acuras.. That's a long time to be unhappy with a car.
Jason, I'm keeping a close eye on the RDX as well. The FMC RDX is due what, 2011 or 2012? TOV model release matrix has 2011 as a possibility. I would at least wait to see if the MMC RDX will be released later this year before jumping ship to the 2012 TL.

I concur with you though, gotta have what you'll be happy with. Life is too dam short to drag on with things that can bought.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by docboy
Jason, I'm keeping a close eye on the RDX as well. The FMC RDX is due what, 2011 or 2012? TOV model release matrix has 2011 as a possibility. I would at least wait to see if the MMC RDX will be released later this year before jumping ship to the 2012 TL.

I concur with you though, gotta have what you'll be happy with. Life is too dam short to drag on with things that can bought.
I beleive the next RDX is due for 2012 or 2013 and will be similar to new CRV. I don't see Acura doing much radical in the US market. I suspect until gas gets up around $5 and there is sustained demand from customers. US buyers do not have a long term look on MPG, they want big and comfy regardless of MPG. Honda has missed Hybrid market for some time. For some reason the Us customer seems ignorant of diesel and thus makers are not brining their European motors to the NA market. I would take a Diesel TSX for the GF in 2 seconds.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned

Yea the RDX FMC is supposed to be 2012 or 2013, so the MMC would be 2015 or 2016. The FMC will be the largest change (with incremental, but possibly significant) upgrades along the way with the 2015/2016 mmc. I'll wait for the RDX to come out, if it's an improvement, then I won't buy the TL MMC and will wait patiently for the RDX mmc. However, if honda makes some ugly inefficient monster of a car, i'll be trading for a TL SHAWD Advanced in a year or so.

I'm also waiting to see if honda will match 3/5 doors like the audi TT, A5 sportsback, or A7. All of those look like 2/4 doors, but are actually 3/5 doors. Another few things is honda supposed to have a new line of V6's and hybrid tech due sometime.. not sure when they'll come out, but it would be interesting if the next RDX or TL came out and they had a 35mpg hybrid or something. Just some reasons why I'm waiting.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my 2010 TL ..... and don't really care for the 2012 TSX .. oh sorry, I mean TL ...