Wow I'm looking at TL's again

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 05:37 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wow I'm looking at TL's again

I go through cars like a hooker goes through rubbers.
hmm bad analogy.

I was once a proud owner of an 05 TL base before it was totaled about 2 years ago.

My list of cars
94 Cutlass, my first car, I put that fucker through hell, but it was a good car

2004 toyota solara sle. nice fully loaded car, felt more like a lexus. I think I bought it more of what my parents felt about it and not myself. Traded it in for a

2004 BMW Z4. Hella fun car in the summer, shit in the winter(duh!) I think i managed to get all 4 rims bent. this car was in the shop alot. I don't think I owned it for more then a year.

2005 Acura TL Great car while it wasn't as sporty and fun to drive as the z4 it was alot more practical and I liked it more then the Solara. I was T-boned on an icey day(not my fault) by a van and totaled my car, which you all know is pretty hard to do since they hold there value so well. I thought about just replacing it with another used TL, I couldn't afford the new ones at the time, bu I was craving for something different and a little sportier.

2010 hyaundai genesis coupe GT. This is the car I own now. Its a fun and fast little car, it looks good too, and the interior is nice, not much of a backseat though. its got all the features that the current TL besides the Nav. push button start, leather, bluetooth ipod/iphone connection, usb. premium infinity sound system, 306hp 6speed auto. But I have come to realize that kentucky just isn't right for RWD cars. We usually get more ice here then we do snow. thats what you get when your stuck right in the middle of canadas cold fronts and the gulfs warm fronts. It can be 70 degrees one day then 35 the next day, its pretty ridicoulous. I like this car its a good car, but my gripe is that it looses traction way to easy. I was coming back home from cincinnati on the interstate last year and completly spun out while it was snowing. luckily there were no cars by me. and I have just been uneasy driving it in wet and snowy conditions. So....

I went and Test drove a base 09 TL yesterday. I liked it.. I liked it alot... It might not be as sporty but its damn more practical and really comfortable to drive. It seemed smoother then my 05 TL, though the steering wasn't as tight.

my question is Base or the tech package really worth it. I dont really give a hoot about Navigation as I don't go out of state much and I grew up in these parts, so I always know where I'm going. I do like really nice audio though. I don't care for push button start. I have it on my current car, and how lazy do you really have to be to not put the key in the ignition!?!? I always end up having to put my key fob somewhere anyways and then I always forget it in the cup holder when i park it in the garage. What next? Cars that drive themselves?? lookup googles car, your mind will be blown.

Is there anything else besides the push button start, nav, and premium audio that I am missing? back up sensor? yeah thats cool I guess. If I get the base can't I just upgrade the audio system myself with out spending to much money?

I'm willing to shop around, I have seen some Tech packaged cars priced the same for a base with same mileage. though I would probably have to go out of state to get it, which I don't really have a problem with.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Have you tried running dedicated snow tires on your Hyundai? If the issue is ice/snow handling, this might help a bit.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:59 AM
10th Gear

Yes I have thought about putting snow tires on, but that would just be a temp fix. I'm at the age where I'm outgrowing the small compact sports car, and I might be expanding the family soon so I will need a functional back seat. As well my commute will double next month to a hour of driving each day during the week.

Jw if it's worth going for the tech pkg. I had the 05 base and was happy with it.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you talk to most people who own the Base the majority of them have buyers remorse about not getting the Tech. I was one of those in 04. My last 2 TL's have been Techs (08, 10) and I've never looked back. Since you have similar features in your current car I know you will miss them if your new car doesn't have them as well. At least I would. I think you can find one priced close to a Base if you look hard enough. It's still a buyers market. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
Welcome to the forum. If you talk to most people who own the Base the majority of them have buyers remorse about not getting the Tech. I was one of those in 04. My last 2 TL's have been Techs (08, 10) and I've never looked back. Since you have similar features in your current car I know you will miss them if your new car doesn't have them as well. At least I would. I think you can find one priced close to a Base if you look hard enough. It's still a buyers market. Just my 2 cents.
Agreed, I think you would regret the decision the go with the Base Model. The SH-AWD option would certainly address the winter weather driving concern
Old 12-18-2011, 03:21 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
AWD and snow tires together will conquer the wet and the snow.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
how old are you? I'm 36 and I STILL wouldn't mind running around in a manual trans Genesis coupe. :-D
Old 12-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
well I'm 32 and I prefer the TL. Its sophicated.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 PM
10th Gear

I'll be getting an 09 tl base tomorrow. Im trading in the genesis, I'll miss it a bit.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
On my second 4G SH-AWD, had the opportunity to go BMW, MB, Infiniti or Audi...back in ACK, back in ACK!!! This car has something special about it that the more you drive it the more you appreciate the performance.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
AWD and snow tires together will conquer the wet and the snow.
This is what I have and he speaks the truth. I'm like a TANK in the snow - it's beyond awesome.

Also - if you look between tech and non-tech - get the tech. Not only do you get the nav, and other goodies, but the leather and interior is so much better. I have a 2012 loaner non-tech, and it's a world behind the quality of leather in my 2010 tech. Check them both out before you decide.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 PM
10th Gear

I got an 09 base, couldn't afford the tech or awd packages. but the base will do me just fine, the car runs great and i love the interior. It looks just like my 05 TL Color wise. Now I just need to tent my windows after the new year. I love the handsfree link. It works alot smoother in the TL then in the genesis. buying a car is still stressfull though. I am sore wore out, getting ready for sleep .
Old 12-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
the SH-AWD pulls 0.92G on skidpad, that's higher than the aston martin v8 vantage. So if grip is important for you SH is a must. If your going FWD i recommend the TSX V6 with beige interior.