Would you buy a demo car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Managers car, my ass. If you were the sales manager and had your pick of cars on the lot, would you drive a TL? Hell no. The SM would be driving that hot AMG Merc they took on trade...
I used to work in a dealership and that's not really how it works. The employees can choose any new car as a demo car, and pay a percentage of the MSRP monthly as their fee to use the car, typically 1%. It includes the dealer plates and insurance. So a $44,000 MSRP car will cost the manager who drove it ~$440 a month. When you pick your demo car, you have to commit to it for at least 6 months. Also, when you are working, it can be and often is used for test drives.

However, you can take the trade-ins out to lunch and/or home for the night on occasion as long as they have cleared their finance hold and are available on the lot for sale. You can't pick a trade-in as your demo car. Must be a new car.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^Now that may be how it worked at your dealer.

At my dealer even the Parts Manager gets a peice of the action. I went in on Monday to get fluids and washers for the RDX. Todd is driving the 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX with 14K on it...I was jealous, hence the reason I posted that comment in the first place.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
That wasn't my dealership's policy, that was a Honda/Acura policy for all dealerships. Any full time employee can choose and pay for a demo car. Parts, mechanic, receptionist, anyone who was full time. I worked in IT/Web not in sales and I was still eligible.

Of course, we can also take home trade-ins home from time to time. Some times I took home a Porsche, other times an Audi. But we still have to have and pay for our specific demo cars if we choose to have a demo car. I personally didn't take them up on the demo car because my car was paid off, why pay for an extra car. And I still got to drive and take home plenty of trade-ins. But taking home or just using a trade-in is separate from having a demo car.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got off the phone with the Acura guy and he confirmed that the factory warranty starts when they use it as their demo. The CPO status isn't on the carfax because it is a relatively new car and that it will be on there when everything is agreed upon. As for the treatment of the car he said all demos especially his managers car are required to be parked in the acura parking lot when they're working. As for being used for test drives, he said they weren't but I don't know if hes just saying that to convince me to buy.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would buy this car in heartbeat. I bought a demo with 10k miles on odometer and its flawless.
car was washed 2-3x per week and dealer maintained with service records. Other than the key fob being scratched up its perfect. Have almost 20k on it now and its still perfect.

Saved $10k off the original price.

Its a car. Not a house. go for it.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by NNRRGG
Just got off the phone with the Acura guy and he confirmed that the factory warranty starts when they use it as their demo. The CPO status isn't on the carfax because it is a relatively new car and that it will be on there when everything is agreed upon. As for the treatment of the car he said all demos especially his managers car are required to be parked in the acura parking lot when they're working. As for being used for test drives, he said they weren't but I don't know if hes just saying that to convince me to buy.
If you decide to buy this car, before you sign you could always ask them to extend the warranty by however many miles are already on the car. Most dealers would be willing to do at least that much. Even though it already comes with a 4 year 50k mile warranty, and even if they do extend it to 57k, the chances of having any major warranty work done between 50 and 57k miles is slim to none. Especially on an Acura. But I would still ask for the extension.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MisterZDX
If you decide to buy this car, before you sign you could always ask them to extend the warranty by however many miles are already on the car. Most dealers would be willing to do at least that much. Even though it already comes with a 4 year 50k mile warranty, and even if they do extend it to 57k, the chances of having any major warranty work done between 50 and 57k miles is slim to none. Especially on an Acura. But I would still ask for the extension.
I'll talk to him and see what he can do.

Salesguy called his manager up and said the car now has 9000 miles on it. He thought it would be around 7-8k. Should I offer a price lower than 35,800 now?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
I'll talk to him and see what he can do.

Salesguy called his manager up and said the car now has 9000 miles on it. He thought it would be around 7-8k. Should I offer a price lower than 35,800 now?
I would keep shopping around for a cheaper low mileage used one. 9k miles on a demo is alot. I know here in Texas, most dealers only put up to 6k miles on their demos. You're better off finding a one owner used one (who probably took better care of it since it was theirs) instead of a demo with 9k miles that has probably been on numerous test drives, has probably been used as a service loaner, and beaten the shit out of by whomever demo it is.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 07-24-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by emanon256
Of course, we can also take home trade-ins home from time to time. Some times I took home a Porsche, other times an Audi ...
You are having trouble understanding what I wrote. It has nothing to do with HMCo. A trade is fair game at most lots. You just confirmed that with this ^ statement. Period

If some one said to me, "Which car would you rather park in your driveway, a 911 or a TL?" I would pick the 911. If you drove something less...it's your own fault.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
If you are spending that much, just get a new car already. There are a lot of incentives to buy new right now ...
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
If you are spending that much, just get a new car already. There are a lot of incentives to buy new right now ...
That brings up a great point. I visited the demo car this morning and it was in immaculate condition. No dents/scratches/imperfections at all. The employee using this demo said that it is only used for him to commute to and from work and he barely lets anybody else touch the car. I finally got the real mileage of the car being 10,016 miles on the odo. Inservice date was 9/28/2013. The only thing is he still is asking for the price of $35.8k, even when the mileage was bumped up another few thousand miles. I was speaking to my friend that is an experienced car buyer and owner of many acuras, stated that I should offer a price around $33.5k-$34k. Being that the 2013 TL is being offered around 39-40k he calculated the depriciation rate as well as the mileage on the car. After all that he said to offer 6.5-7.5% off asking price. Would you acuraziners agree with that notion? Is a $33.5k-$34k offer for a 2013 TL SH-AWD Tech (10k miles) pushing it or is it fair? After I get some opinions from you guys I will make a decision this weekend.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
It doesn't hurt to try. Sounds like you don't want to buy new which I can understand. Keep in mind it costs them to CPO it too. It's a reasonable offer. You just need to step up your negotiating skills. Give them some reasons why you think your offer is reasonable. Offer lowest first then work your way up and hopefully meet in the middle somewhere. They don't want to budge much because it's a 2013.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
That brings up a great point. I visited the demo car this morning and it was in immaculate condition. No dents/scratches/imperfections at all. The employee using this demo said that it is only used for him to commute to and from work and he barely lets anybody else touch the car. I finally got the real mileage of the car being 10,016 miles on the odo. Inservice date was 9/28/2013. The only thing is he still is asking for the price of $35.8k, even when the mileage was bumped up another few thousand miles. I was speaking to my friend that is an experienced car buyer and owner of many acuras, stated that I should offer a price around $33.5k-$34k. Being that the 2013 TL is being offered around 39-40k he calculated the depriciation rate as well as the mileage on the car. After all that he said to offer 6.5-7.5% off asking price. Would you acuraziners agree with that notion? Is a $33.5k-$34k offer for a 2013 TL SH-AWD Tech (10k miles) pushing it or is it fair? After I get some opinions from you guys I will make a decision this weekend.
I may have missed it but you still really haven't mentioned what the best price on a new car is, at any dealership you are dealing with. That is really the only point you need to reference from, and really the only point you can reference from, as the internet prices you see don't mean anything unless you are willing to fly across country to buy.

Its rather hard to talk depreciation rate on a same year model car due to the very low amount of data points - factor into the equation that its a demo and an outgoing model which had its average sale price slip several thousand dollars over its model life.

That said, it could be a somewhat effective bargaining chip for the dealer if they are willing to listen to it, I just wouldn't put much stock into as far as justifying the price for yourself. Honestly I see that car flying off the lot for them, so its likely they aren't going to budge much on the price.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AlexG_6MT
I may have missed it but you still really haven't mentioned what the best price on a new car is, at any dealership you are dealing with. That is really the only point you need to reference from, and really the only point you can reference from, as the internet prices you see don't mean anything unless you are willing to fly across country to buy.

Its rather hard to talk depreciation rate on a same year model car due to the very low amount of data points - factor into the equation that its a demo and an outgoing model which had its average sale price slip several thousand dollars over its model life.

That said, it could be a somewhat effective bargaining chip for the dealer if they are willing to listen to it, I just wouldn't put much stock into as far as justifying the price for yourself. Honestly I see that car flying off the lot for them, so its likely they aren't going to budge much on the price.
Last time I posted and checked, the TL's went for around 39-40k new and it aligned up perfectly with what the TMV posted online. I just had a conversation with my buddy and he adamantly argued that I must offer 6.8-7.5% off asking as that is a given when he offers car salesmen. I just wanted to confirm with other sources/ppl that have more experience if his argument was correct. The thing is I already assumed that 35.8k was a good price; he thinks otherwise and that I should shoot for the 34k price range.

When I first saw the price online it went as follows.

-6500miles = $36,995

I arrived at the dealership the miles were updated to:

-7000-8000miles = $35,800

They didn't have the car on my first visit so I came back and got a real update on the mileage of

-10,000 miles = $35,800

I asked him whether the price was still at 35,800 and he said yes. Am I entitled to offer a lower price since the mileage has changed?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Logically you should be entitled to the lower price because it has more miles. But only if the dealership is willing to work with you on the price. If you can get it down to 34K, I think it's a good buy, not otherwise.

On the new car price, just for your reference, when I was buying my 2013 TL FWD Tech, both Edmunds and Truecar had it at 37K as true market value but after a couple of emails to my local dealerships, I bought mine for below 35K plus TTL without any BS fees. That was with no trade in and before conquest/loyalty rebate. Of course a SHAWD Tech is more expensive but my point is those websites are only giving you a good starting point, definitely not the best prices.

If the price in your area is high and less competitive, you can always buy it from else where and have it ship to your house for about $600. SHAWD Tech is going for about 36-36.5K in my area so you should save at least 2K after everything said and done. It might be risky to buy a used car unseen but for a new car, very few things could go wrong.