Why aren't we seeing the advanced features from Honda carry over to Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Why aren't we seeing the advanced features from Honda carry over to Acura?

Hey all.

We just purchased a 2016 Civic EX-L with Honda Sensing. This car is incredible. I honestly think I like it more than my '12 TL.

It has Android Auto/Apple CarPlay as a standard feature. This provides seamless integration of the head unit with your phone. Allows you to control Google music, spotify or apple music; allows Apple/Google Maps to be your navigation application rather than the Honda/Acura Nav; has standard right lane camera (turning right turns on a camera mounted on your right hand mirror). It also has a fully electronic LCD for the instrument cluster. The tach, speed, maintenance minders, etc are beautifully displayed on a large color screen.

That's just the standard features. We included the 2k Sensing package. My God I don't think I'm going to ever purchase a Honda without this. I know that it is danger and not designed to do so, but the damn car can drive itself with Sensing on the highway. You can completely let go of the steering and the accelrator and the car will drive pretty damn well.

As listed the Sensing features include lane keeping assistant, so if you by mistake wonder off your lane, the car will center itself again. It has crash mitigation, if it detects a car in front of you who is slowing down/stopped your car will stop before hitting it. Also has lane mitigation, if it detects you're in the median (you fell asleep) it will gradually slow the car down and turn blinkers on so you don't keep going until you hit something.

All this on a 26k Civic. Or a 32k Accord. I honestly can't believe the amount of tech in this car. I haven't seen any news on acura working on these features for their line.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:02 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
So many members have asked the same thing... Many have boycotted Acura for it...

We think the reality of it is is that Honda doesn't know what to do with the brand right now, but that new Civic is certainly stunning...

In fact, the new Accord will be based on, and possibly share powertrains with the new Civic...

A new Accord, fully loaded, is closer to $36-37K, I think... However, I'm not sure on what level of EX-L that package is made available...

Also, I ask for a moderator to move this thread to a more appropriate sub-forum, maybe "Car Talk"...
Old 08-25-2016, 08:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
So many members have asked the same thing... Many have boycotted Acura for it...

We think the reality of it is is that Honda doesn't know what to do with the brand right now, but that new Civic is certainly stunning...

In fact, the new Accord will be based on, and possibly share powertrains with the new Civic...

A new Accord, fully loaded, is closer to $36-37K, I think... However, I'm not sure on what level of EX-L that package is made available...

Also, I ask for a moderator to move this thread to a more appropriate sub-forum, maybe "Car Talk"...
I know my cousin purchased an ex-l accord without sensing for around 26k and sensing is around a 2k upgrade. A fully loaded accord is the touring I think which starts at 32 or 334k. Really though you get an incredible interior with the ex-l and for most people that model should be pretty good.

And oops! Sorry yeah if it fits somewhere else better then awesome. I've never posted anywhere else from the 4g forums!
Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I am surprised you were saying you like civic with fancy sensors over 12 TL. no comparison on two cars.
Like Chinese guys who love fancy features like sensors, leather seat, stunning headlight and room. so all standard in China is totally different. factories cut off chassis, engine, transmission and even safety feature, add fancy features on places you can see.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by lltfly
I am surprised you were saying you like civic with fancy sensors over 12 TL. no comparison on two cars.
Like Chinese guys who love fancy features like sensors, leather seat, stunning headlight and room. so all standard in China is totally different. factories cut off chassis, engine, transmission and even safety feature, add fancy features on places you can see.
Haha well I do like the car, but I don't think I would choose the car every time. The civic gets nearly 40mpg, fairly quick acceleration and is plenty safe. Also the sensing features are definitely adding to the safety of the car. More than most other features.

I really like the civic as a daily driver but if I'm going on a nice trip or a get away, I would take my TL any day. It's much more joyous to drive.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9
Haha well I do like the car, but I don't think I would choose the car every time. The civic gets nearly 40mpg, fairly quick acceleration and is plenty safe. Also the sensing features are definitely adding to the safety of the car. More than most other features.

I really like the civic as a daily driver but if I'm going on a nice trip or a get away, I would take my TL any day. It's much more joyous to drive.
I think what he is trying to say is that sure the civic has more flashy features, but it still lacks severely in a lot of other places. Particularly places where it is harder to see like structural integrity, or quality..etc.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
To be fair, the Civic is a 2016 design, and the 4G TL is a 2009 design. The TLX does have most of the features available in the Honda. But is the TLX better than the TL?

I do give credit to Honda for the new Civic. Looks and feel awesome. I definitely wouldn't mind recommend it to people I know, over the Corolla or any compact economy cars.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
To be fair, the Civic is a 2016 design, and the 4G TL is a 2009 design. The TLX does have most of the features available in the Honda. But is the TLX better than the TL?

I do give credit to Honda for the new Civic. Looks and feel awesome. I definitely wouldn't mind recommend it to people I know, over the Corolla or any compact economy cars.
Ahh I just saw that the tlx does have a lane keeping system/acc. Doesn't have any more information though. They don't have android auto, and no right lane camera which is standard on the civic and accord. (and most of their lineup I think).

From what I've seen in the tlx it feels just like the accord on the inside. I've sat in both and there isn't much difference in quality of the interior. It is the first version of the redesign, so I expect that they will continue to refine the system. I don't like the tlx due to the poorer performance compared to our TL. I'm not comparing the performance of the cars. Of course any TL is going to out perform any of the (stock lol) civics. But coming from a tech standpoint the civic has more features than the tlx, when looking at comparable models.

Originally Posted by RDX10
I think what he is trying to say is that sure the civic has more flashy features, but it still lacks severely in a lot of other places. Particularly places where it is harder to see like structural integrity, or quality..etc.
I mean I would expect the quality of a TLX to be higher than a Civic. However as I stated above the tlx and the accord seem to share interior build quality from my brief interaction between both cars.

Last edited by Blaze9; 08-25-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
To the OP. The features are there, you just don't see them. You are comparing (as others have said) a new 2016 to an older 2012. And some of the features you describe were available in the 2012 TL Advance package.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I have to agree that with the Civic finally Honda found (again) some balls in the styling department, hopefully is not going to chicken out again at the first whiff of criticism....like what happened with the 4G TL when they got scared to stick to their guns...and now we have that broth of mediocrity that is the TLX.

I really love the new Civic, inside and outside, I do find some of the (sadly lost) 4G "edgyness" in the design language...hopefully is going to last....is the best looking mainstream compact in the market right now hands down, even better of the Mazda 3.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Ahh I just saw that the tlx does have a lane keeping system/acc. Doesn't have any more information though. They don't have android auto, and no right lane camera which is standard on the civic and accord. (and most of their lineup I think).

From what I've seen in the tlx it feels just like the accord on the inside. I've sat in both and there isn't much difference in quality of the interior. It is the first version of the redesign, so I expect that they will continue to refine the system. I don't like the tlx due to the poorer performance compared to our TL. I'm not comparing the performance of the cars. Of course any TL is going to out perform any of the (stock lol) civics. But coming from a tech standpoint the civic has more features than the tlx, when looking at comparable models.

I mean I would expect the quality of a TLX to be higher than a Civic. However as I stated above the tlx and the accord seem to share interior build quality from my brief interaction between both cars.
I agree with you on all counts. Acura is going to all hell right now. The TLX should have nothing to do with the Accord. Yet the accord arguably looks better right now and has some features not available on the tlx. But the tlx obviously has features not available on the accord. Really what should be happening is the Acura lineup should have stuff for at least a few years before the honda lineup.

The past Acura lineup was pretty far removed from the honda lineup, not so much anymore.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 PM
Pro

Guys who are saying that I'm comparing a 09 model car to a 2016, I'm not. I'm talking about Acura in general, including the 4g and 5g tl(x) models.

If you look at the Toyota lineup vs the Lexus, it's a night and day difference. The current Toyota linup is honestly terrible. The cars are bland, with bare minimum technology. The Lexus tech is far superior, and the styling too. I don't like how bad Toyota proper is, I'm happy that Honda proper is packing their cars with tons of features, but you should be getting those features in their premium lineup too. No reason to take them away.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Guys who are saying that I'm comparing a 09 model car to a 2016, I'm not. I'm talking about Acura in general, including the 4g and 5g tl(x) models.

If you look at the Toyota lineup vs the Lexus, it's a night and day difference. The current Toyota linup is honestly terrible. The cars are bland, with bare minimum technology. The Lexus tech is far superior, and the styling too. I don't like how bad Toyota proper is, I'm happy that Honda proper is packing their cars with tons of features, but you should be getting those features in their premium lineup too. No reason to take them away.
Ok, so what features do you have in you Civic that aren't offered in an Acura?
Old 08-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Reorge
Ok, so what features do you have in you Civic that aren't offered in an Acura?
Mainly? The infotainment system. Acuras is awful compared to Android auto. Right lane camera is very useful too, not gimmicky at all. Full lcd instrument panel would be nice but is not necessarily needed.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
...We included the 2k Sensing package. My God I don't think I'm going to ever purchase a Honda without this...
As listed the Sensing features include lane keeping assistant, so if you by mistake wonder off your lane, the car will center itself again. It has crash mitigation, if it detects a car in front of you who is slowing down/stopped your car will stop before hitting it. Also has lane...
BFD. The Outback also has a Ton of nanny features as well.
The TL is a driver's car
Many of us like to be in complete control of the vehicle and don't want a car to beep at us when we cut the inside line on a corner.

My wife, on the other hand...
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Marco:
Reorge (08-28-2016), ressling (08-30-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
I have to agree that with the Civic finally Honda found (again) some balls in the styling department, ...
Yes, yes, yes! There were some awkward teenage years there in the 9th generation. I was releaved to see that the civic was looking less like a corolla for 2015.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Mainly? The infotainment system. Acuras is awful compared to Android auto. Right lane camera is very useful too, not gimmicky at all. Full lcd instrument panel would be nice but is not necessarily needed.
Would you have purchased an ILX (Acura equivalent to Civic) if it had the same features?
Old 08-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
it takes about 2 years (24 months) for auto design to occur including getting all the prodution of parts figured out too. The 2012TL was released in 2009 meaning it was being prepped for production in 2007! In 2007 did android auto exist? Don't think so. With the MMC in 2012 (planning for it in 2010), I don't believe it existed either, same for the apple carplay.

In 2014 when the civic was being designed it was available and implemented. Same with the next generation TLX, etc.

Adding these features into a car is much harder than in a regular computer/phone. Wire harnesses, computers, etc all need to be modified to add something as simple as lanewatch and sometimes it's not feasible (with factory parts on hand, etc) to do these changes. Acura's come with Acurawatch and Siri Eyes Free on 2016+ Models which is great.

On my 2013 blind spot monitoring works well.

TLDR: Cars designed 24 months before release. Honda designed after acura now so logically it gets newer tech.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:02 PM
4G Acura TL SH-AWD/TECH

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I felt the same way when looking for my next car...that Honda in some ways seem way better of an overall package than Acura.

I really wanted to give Acura another shot after owning the 3G and 4G TL. They do not listen to their customers, particularly the enthusiast fan base. Features aside, the design direction is woeful from beforehand. I will agree here with some who say Hondas look much more thoughtfully designed. I saw a TLX and Accord across from me at a red light waiting the other day. I honestly had my eyes drawn to the Honda the whole time, the TLX looked like an afterthought.

My problem with Acura extends to the interior...the presentation just doesn't look as polished and composed as before. Sure, there are two screens, but even the way Honda presents their two screen looks better. Acura's interior just looks like it was put together in the last minute. It may be functional, but from a purely design standpoint, it just doesn't FEEL like a luxury market vehicle.

I hope to return one day to the brand. But Acura is getting cannibalized by its simpler cousin Honda.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Pro

ITT: People who aren't reading the replies fully/aren't understanding the nature of my post.

Originally Posted by Reorge
Would you have purchased an ILX (Acura equivalent to Civic) if it had the same features?
Yeah, of course I would have. If the car was for me/someone more responsible. We purchased the car together w/ my bro (my parent's matched his down payment). If I were purchasing a car for myself I would definitly look at new acura's (2016+) if they had the same features as the honda ones do.

Also to the people replying about being a "manly driver", I wouldn't purchase a i4, 150hp automatic civic if I wanted to be in touch with my inner driver/gear-head. I daily my TL, it's got over 85k miles now and it's a 2012, purchased late 2011. I go through about 45mins of traffic every morning to work and about 15 minutes of fast cruising down the highway. The auto adaptive cruise control is amazing in that situation. No need to constantly be on the brake or on high alert in case the driver in front slams his brakes. Also every single feature it has is able to be shut down and stay off until you turn it back on.

If a 2015 (Civic) can have Android Auto, why can't a 2016/2017 TLX, ILX, or even RLX?