Where are the MTs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Where are the MTs?

A friend has been looking to purchase a 2012 AWD 6MT (I'd like to think my car had some influence on his decision). The problem? There are hardly any to be had out there.

(I just checked Autotrader and there are literally just a handful of 2012 TL MTs listed in the entire lower 48).

Is this fallout from the earthquake/tsunami? I certainly hope Acura hasn't bailed on the 6MT TL.

Anyone have any news/experience on this issue?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
yup all gone..
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
They're hard to find - i think something like only 1% of the total production are 6MT's.

I am curious if production is down (sounds like it from other posts). If that is the case, then it would make sense there are less of the 6MT's around.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When I bought mine in April, there was literally only one in the state. Talk about lack of choices.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Same here, and I'll relay what was told to me as it's probably the same logic being used by many dealers across the country.

He only buys a few MT's and usually only the very first allotment per model year, as it gives him the longest amount of time to move the car before it becomes an obsolete model, he does this with the unpopular interior and exterior colors as well.

Having a MT on the lot is a risk, they tend to stay there for a very long time, and the only hope they have is that they can sell them at some premium to someone that really wants a MT.

Mine was delivered in the first allotments in March, when I first test drove it... I finally bought it in July, it's one of only two I've seen at the dealers in a 100 mile radius of me in that timeframe, doing about a search a week.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine at the closest dealer to me last month the day I walked in
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
It's the Honda way...same way with the 07/08 Type S, same way with the 03 CL, same way with the Accord V6 Coupe, and for the longest time, good luck even finding an S2000.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
It's smart business though. It's better than building many cars that won't sell. You guys that enjoy driving an MT are a rare breed. I don't know how they came up with the 1% but it might be fairly close.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

I too am looking to purchase a 6MT before the end of the year. According to a recent thread, the factory in Ohio is supposed to ramp up to full production during the month of August. I hope this means a greater selection of 6MT's by year's end.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The inventory is unusually low for the 6MT with this model year comprd to the last two. They are virtually nonexistent. I recall the 2010 model having around 30 units on the ground in my state at a time, I would be surprised if there are 30 new 2012 6MT's available in the entire country (actually there are less than 20 right now).

It's probably due to having somewhat of a parts/tranny shortage and that they expect a big reduction in the manual transmission's demand now that the 6AT is standard over the 5AT. Plus with the addition of the advance package for the 6AT SH and not 6MT SH, it isn't helping the 6MT cause.

However, I don't see them killing it off (that would be a real shame) as they do not offer the 6MT + SH combo on any other model and hardly any 6MT's in general. That is unless they plan to make this combo avilable in something else where they then might want to begin phasing it out on the TL.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-24-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
my 05 tl is a 6 mt. i love it! i hope to get into a 4g next year, and will definately be looking for another 6 m/t. 2010 - 2012. the 6 m/t was not offered in the 2009 tl. acura brought it back for 2010. they must of got a lot of tl owners asking why it went away for 2009. i hope acura designers continue to have it as an option for the sh awd tech tl.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think Pohanka Acura in MD/VA has like three 2011 6MTs left..
Old 08-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
oh man...if acura kills off the MT TL, I'll have to go Audi, BMW, or Subaru for my next car...not many MT + AWD choices out there...
Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Drifting

I hope it does not come to that, but there's a report out there that next year's TSX will come with an MT only in the "Special Edition" model (which apparently won't be equipped with the Tech package). As it is now, it's nearly impossible to find a new TSX with the 6MT.

If you make the things impossible to obtain or in color/trim options that are narrowly restricted, low take rates on MTs become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I have owned at least 1 manual trans car/truck on a continuing bases since 1959. That being said I expect the ‘06 TL I just sold will be the last one I will have purchased.

As good quality DCT trans (not regular 6,7,8 spd AT’s with paddles) become available across more car lines I expect that the pure manuals with foot peddles & shift levers will be phased out by performance car manufactures. In the BMW line the 7 DCT’s are the quickest accelerating cars in their groups.

A DCT automated manual trans can do everything a regular manual can do, only faster & with no mistakes.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Cruisin'

But there's just something about a true MT with a 3rd pedal that makes driving a joy. I've got an Audi TT with a DSG;it's fun, but it's no comparison to a true MT.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I don’t think the fun thing can generate enough business to keep them going. Performance drivers will be looking to the racing teams to see what is hot & teams like Corvette Racings GT1 & GT2 C6.R cars have switched to the sequential trans to stay competitive with the other factory teams like Ferrari that are running them. Even the LMP2 class Lola Honda is using them.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I hope it does not come to that, but there's a report out there that next year's TSX will come with an MT only in the "Special Edition" model (which apparently won't be equipped with the Tech package). As it is now, it's nearly impossible to find a new TSX with the 6MT.

If you make the things impossible to obtain or in color/trim options that are narrowly restricted, low take rates on MTs become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Yep, exactly! Here are my comments from the TSX SE thread, which are right along those lines as well:

Hmm yet another strange marketing move from Acura, and once again they are basically forcing the consumer's hand...why they would not offer Navi/Tech pkg. in a "Special Edition" is beyond me. I suspect that this is all simply to get the results that they want, though, so that they can kill of certain trim levels (and maybe the TSX entirely?!?).
Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 AM
Registered Malcontent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I started shopping in November '10, I wanted a '10 m/t but there was only a demo available in my area (70 miles north of NYC). We grabbed one scheduled (2011) to be built for another dealer. I got it on Dec. 30. It's criminal that these cars aren't in demand. Acura put a long list of changes to accommodate the manual. The shifting in this car is just superb!
I'm thankful that I was able to acquire mine.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by muggs
When I started shopping in November '10, I wanted a '10 m/t but there was only a demo available in my area (70 miles north of NYC). We grabbed one scheduled (2011) to be built for another dealer. I got it on Dec. 30. It's criminal that these cars aren't in demand. Acura put a long list of changes to accommodate the manual. The shifting in this car is just superb!
I'm thankful that I was able to acquire mine.

exactly; i was very lucky in that my dealership had one on the lot.. i've driven many manuals; and the TL's shifter is the best.. unfortunately i do think that the manuals are going the way of the dodo; but i'll keep driving them as long as they keep making them. it was easy to justify getting a 6spd manual when the alternative was a crappy 5 spd auto; but now many cars are coming out with 7 and 8 speed autos and the DCT's, etc.. hard to compete against those
Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm seriously considering a 6MT TL, and have started looking around. I have yet to find a CPO one and no '12 on the lot or on the way anytime soon.

Although a few people have said that MT transmissions are on the way out, I just spent a few weeks in Europe and almost every car was MT. Even the rental car I had was a 6MT.

So, hopefully demand in Europe and others will help keep the manual alive for a few years to come.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered Malcontent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by omaralt
exactly; i was very lucky in that my dealership had one on the lot.. i've driven many manuals; and the TL's shifter is the best.. unfortunately i do think that the manuals are going the way of the dodo; but i'll keep driving them as long as they keep making them. it was easy to justify getting a 6spd manual when the alternative was a crappy 5 spd auto; but now many cars are coming out with 7 and 8 speed autos and the DCT's, etc.. hard to compete against those
It's true that it's hard to compete with these high-tech trannies, (especially the dual clutches) in terms of performance. For me, it's about having fun with the car. I would still have my S2000 but I'm 6'3" with some back problems. Damn, I miss that car. The TL does so many things so well and the six speed m/t just completes the package. It's also true as many have said here that while it's a big car, it doesn't drive like a big car. It has enough power to make it fun to drop a gear or two in a corner and punching it. It feels right.
Honda did a nice job with the AWD system combined with the manual on the TL.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I have been looking at cars for the past few months while continuing to save and trying to determine exactly what I wanted. I knew one thing for sure, it had to be a manual. That of course weeded out a lot of choices and I eventually determined it was the TL that I wanted. I didn't want to deal with the potential turbo issues with the BMW 335/535 and the Nissan G37 just wasn't up to par (not to mention the paint problems). The other choices either weren't fast enough or a bit too expensive.

I found a 2010 CPO in Arizona and am currently working on finishing the paperwork. It's been a bit tough because I live in Florida so there are issues (well, a lot of red tape) with being out of state, and I am financing it through my own credit union. It's been in the works for over a week now and I'm hoping it will ship out within the next couple of days.

I'm coming from a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon so this is quite a step up. I've also been planning this purchase since Jan 2010...getting my finances in order to make this a smart decision.

I could have just settled on an automatic, found one locally, and been driving it already...but to me it's well worth the hassle and wait to get the manual shipped from 2,200 miles away!

I look forward to getting some tips/advice from all you forum vets!
The following users liked this post:
LawnPro (09-03-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Drifting

^^ Congratulations on the pending purchase. Once you have the car you will be glad you waited. For all those on the blogs saying things like "Honda does not build a single car for enthusiasts any more," I'd say drive this car with an MT. The combo of the V6, MT and SH-AWD makes it a special car. You'll not regret the wait and hassle of finding one.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
^^ Congratulations on the pending purchase. Once you have the car you will be glad you waited. For all those on the blogs saying things like "Honda does not build a single car for enthusiasts any more," I'd say drive this car with an MT. The combo of the V6, MT and SH-AWD makes it a special car. You'll not regret the wait and hassle of finding one.
Thanks man. It's been such a long process getting everything in order that another week or two isn't going to kill me. Though, I'm not gonna lie, each day that passes that it doesn't ship is starting to annoy me. Who knew that using a third party finance company on an out of state purchase could be such a hassle!

I've read just about every review out there on these cars and everyone seems to love it. The looks are "to each their own" but all seem to agree that it's fun to drive. I've seen them on the road and I like the look. In due time I'll probably do some minor mods to make it my own though.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by pearldrummer
I'm seriously considering a 6MT TL, and have started looking around. I have yet to find a CPO one and no '12 on the lot or on the way anytime soon.

Although a few people have said that MT transmissions are on the way out, I just spent a few weeks in Europe and almost every car was MT. Even the rental car I had was a 6MT.

So, hopefully demand in Europe and others will help keep the manual alive for a few years to come.
I think 90% of cars and trucks outside of North America are manual trans...
Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
It really is a shame. The 2004 MT was 1 in 20, the 2008 MT was 1 in 50 now the 2012 really looks like 1 in 100. I would really like to buy a 2012 MT but all the dealer bs really turns me off. I can't understand Acura, sales are terrible and they won't offer a TSX with a V6 and a 6MT. They would sell at least a few thousand units, way more than the wagon or ZDX combined.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

I would have seriously considered the TSX V6 with mt instead of the TL which I purchased. I live in the city and the TL is a little big for parallel parking and maneuvering. I'm sure there are others like myself out there.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Walk the walk

Another Honda mistake is not putting a six speed in the Accord Coupe I4. Or even the non Si model Civic. They have good parts on the shelf that would boost sales easily, but they are seem to have no passion.

The 6mt appears to leaving the TL. The fact that they limit the options/colors. This seems the common exit strategy. You shop for any mt from many companies and options are completely unavailable. Then the marketing department drops the MT saying, look at last years sales numbers on MT. They forget to mention, no options where available if you order a MT. The base TL with a 6mt would boost Honda sales by easily 2,000 units per year. That is about the same number as the ZDX or TSX wagon.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I know that Acura has published production numbers for all its' models, but do they publish production of sub models, like the TL with the MT? Or is everyone just guessing how low it might be based on current availability at the local dealers?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Walk the walk

I work next to a Acura Dealer so I have watched the 3g from introduction. I walked many new lots and talked to many dealerships have been posting since 2004 as well as searched for the two I now own. I think those numbers are good. No official numbers have any been given to my knowledge but before I got the 2008 I was thinking of a 2011 Camry SE manual which was 1/500. The base manual 2011 Camry manual was 1 out of 100. 2012 Camry has no manual transmissions.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
They are extremely rare and in extremely low #. I have (1) Tech SH-AWD 6MT in Bellanova White with Ebony that we ordered about 2 months ago and should be in by early October. The last one I had I dealer traded to get from a dealer a little north of us, in June, who otherwise just had it on display in their showroom. A special request vehicle and not a high volume one at that.

The current trim level ordering break down allowed per order by Acura is as follows for the TL:

FWD
BASE (UA8F2CJW) = 34%
TECH (UA8F5CKW) = 55%
ADVANCE (UA8F7CKW) = 11%
Total FWD = 100%

AWD
BASE (UA9F2CJW) = 9%
TECH MT (UA9E5CKW) = 3%
TECH AT (UA9F5CKW) = 69%
ADVANCE (UA9F7CKXW) = 20%
Total AWD = 100%

So, the lowest of all configs. And half of even the already rare SH-AWD non-Tech TL's.

It's a battle of the enthusiast is out there, but when you have one of these, unless you have someone in cue, it will sit for a while. On our incoming 6MT TL in White/Ebony, I have a dealer in Connecticut that wants it and calls everyday, hard for them to get based on both color and config. It's a tough but fun car.
The following users liked this post:
Devil Dog 21 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 AM
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by beach109
They are extremely rare and in extremely low #. I have (1) Tech SH-AWD 6MT in Bellanova White with Ebony that we ordered about 2 months ago and should be in by early October. The last one I had I dealer traded to get from a dealer a little north of us, in June, who otherwise just had it on display in their showroom. A special request vehicle and not a high volume one at that.

The current trim level ordering break down allowed per order by Acura is as follows for the TL:

FWD
BASE (UA8F2CJW) = 34%
TECH (UA8F5CKW) = 55%
ADVANCE (UA8F7CKW) = 11%
Total FWD = 100%

AWD
BASE (UA9F2CJW) = 9%
TECH MT (UA9E5CKW) = 3%
TECH AT (UA9F5CKW) = 69%
ADVANCE (UA9F7CKXW) = 20%
Total AWD = 100%

So, the lowest of all configs. And half of even the already rare SH-AWD non-Tech TL's.

It's a battle of the enthusiast is out there, but when you have one of these, unless you have someone in cue, it will sit for a while. On our incoming 6MT TL in White/Ebony, I have a dealer in Connecticut that wants it and calls everyday, hard for them to get based on both color and config. It's a tough but fun car.
Thank you for all of the information you are providing. It is helping explain some of the issues many of us have been facing with hard to get models or discontinued colors.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
To clarify further also, at 3% of SH-AWD model production, it's not required to order. So for most dealers, they simply won't, when ordering time comes around.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
I was lucky enough to be able to get my 2012 6SPD M/T SH-AWD TL this past memorial day right after my birthday. I traded in my 2006 6SPD M/T TL (which I absolutely LOVED!) and my 2008 RDX SH-AWD (LOVED the SH-AWD - hated the automatic paddle shifters -- try shifting those paddles while you are in a turn! you'll kill yourself)

I had to get the San Antonio dealer to ship the car down from an Austin dealer since there were no M/T's in San Antonio. I don't care what they say about the new automatic transmissions now-a-days, yeah they might be the best for racing and daily driving in traffic, but if it just feels great driving my 6SPD M/T - Guess it's just the driver in me.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Im a 3G Type S 6mt owner lurking here in the 4G manual thread. No offense to the 09-11 guys but still just cant get over the looks of that thing. Now that the revised 2012 is out with sweet additions like ventilated seats im getting interested. Friend came over with a new 2012 in the graphite color which looked gorgeous.

So am I understanding this correctly, you cannot get a 6mt with the advanced package? If so that sucks!!!! So what happens if you want manual and want ventilated seats you cant do it? errrrr

Im kind of disappointed with how you cant get manual with advanced package, and even more disappointed that Acura will let you get the umber interior with bronze which has to be the most awkward color setup you can buy, but they wont let you get it with graphite which would be downright gorgeous. Makes no sense.

The best setup would be 6mt 2012 SH-AWD with advanced, graphite with umber interior....and thats impossible..ugh

As far as manuals go not sure why thats surprising to some, its always been like that. I had to fly to Dallas TX to get my manual Type S.

Does anyone know when the 5G TL will be introduced and will we ever see any Type S models again whether it be 4G or 5G?

Thanks,
James
Old 09-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Drifting

James, you're right (except regarding the looks of the 09-11 car), you can't get the MT with the Advance package. Further it's now limited to black interiors (which I like fine, but some variety would be nice).

When the 2010s came out with the MT, there were more exterior and interior choices available, and finding the cars with MTs wasn't that hard. My dealer had several on the lot.

Now, Acura is reducing the MT choices, and for whatever reason, availability or dealer reluctance to order, the 2012s MTs are much harder to find.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
^ Glad I purchased mine when I did...
Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Walk the walk

3 of 100 is not all that bad it is still close to 2008 Acura 6MT Tl-S numbers. Thanks for the info. The new 2012 has to compete with the 6 speed auto and the reduced mileage (at least on paper).
Old 09-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It was posted at 3% of the AWD models. If we make a rough estimate that the sales of FWD & AWD models are equal, then the ratio becomes 3 of 200 total TLs, or 1 1/2%.