What year to avoid any common issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year to avoid any common issues ?

Looking to get a tl are all years the same ? Do they have oil consumption issues or any.common issues?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
the 3.7l were the most common ones for oil consumption.
However; it might include 3.5l as well, as FWD owners are reporting oil consumption issues
Old 10-25-2017, 11:55 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
The potential problems don't seem to be isolated to any particular year. Here are the three main issues that seem to be most common and costly:

Potential oil consumption issue - Mostly with the 3.7L SH-AWD. I've heard of a small handful among the 3.5L FWD but it doesn't seem to be nearly as common as with the 3.7L. It was largely due to the 3.7L using a different cylinder liner which was the main culprit. There is no real fix for this. Some have gotten their engine replaced under warranty as many as three times but the problem comes back. Most owners that have the problem just live with it and add oil occasionally. It doesn't seem that it causes any drivability issues like carbon buildup or knocking - just slow consumption over time. It's not entirely uncommon for higher performance engines to consume oil, although they're usually a lot higher performance than this one - like M5's and what not.

Propeller shaft whine with the SH-AWD. This requires replacing the entire propeller shaft assembly. I believe it's due to a bad bearing. Some have had to replace it but usually at a little higher mileage. I believe the cost is around $1500 or so for parts and labor.

Torque converter issue with ALL models and years (FWD and SH-AWD, 2009-2011 5AT and 2012-2014 6AT). There is a software update to the ECU that the dealer provides which largely fixes this. Some have gotten it replaced under warranty as well. It seems that if it happens, it's relatively early in the cars life. Seems that if you've gone 50K+ miles and haven't had a problem, that you're unlikely to have it in the future. When I got my FWD, I immediately got the software update. I never had any problems to begin with but the software update helps reduce torque converter wear by reducing tach-hunting and locking the TC earlier. I have 130K miles now with no problems.

If I had to throw out a number based on the reports on the site, as well as several owners I've spoken to locally, I'd say 30% or so seem to have an oil consumption issue on the SH-AWD (often around 1L of oil every 1000 miles or so) and maybe 30% with the propeller shaft whine. Personally, I wouldn't let those deter me from getting the SH-AWD though, I just didn't quite have the budget for it at the time and was more than happy with the FWD version (as long as it had the tech package).

While those are the main problems, none of them are severely chronic. I knew about all of them prior to purchasing my TL and I haven't had any problems. However, I only have the FWD, which really only suffers from the potential TC issue - I'd probably put that at around 10%-20% likelyhood. On a side note, I also had a cylinder ring go bad on my FWD at around 120K. But I honestly believe it was a complete fluke. Literally every mechanic I spoke to about it was shocked to see a ring break (yes, it broke, not just "stuck") on a any J-series Honda engine. It just doesn't happen.....except to me..... But it's fixed now and all is well.

Last edited by losiglow; 10-25-2017 at 11:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by losiglow:
hadokenuh (10-25-2017), OldBroad_05 (02-06-2018)
Old 10-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a 2012 TL AWD Adv just reached 100k miles and my gf has 2014 TL AWD Tech 48k miles

Comparing the 2 we both don't:
a) have the propeller shaft issue (yet)
b) torque converter issue

But both our car does have:
a) oil consumptions - I have switched my oil to 5W-30 instead of the recommended 5W-20 and it seems to help so far. I also checked the oil cap of mine vs gf and it states 5W-20 for mine and hers is 0W-20.
b) we both had to get the ATF filter replaced under warranty (http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B14-049.PDF)

Around 78k miles my power steering unit module went out and had to get that replaced. Acura was able to do a concession for me and I only had to pay $250 instead of $1500 for the unit.

So far I feel like the 12-14 models (mid-cycle refresh) have fewer issues. But I could be wrong. Hope this helps
Old 10-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fryrice
I have a 2012 TL AWD Adv just reached 100k miles and my gf has 2014 TL AWD Tech 48k miles

Comparing the 2 we both don't:
a) have the propeller shaft issue (yet)
b) torque converter issue

But both our car does have:
a) oil consumptions - I have switched my oil to 5W-30 instead of the recommended 5W-20 and it seems to help so far. I also checked the oil cap of mine vs gf and it states 5W-20 for mine and hers is 0W-20.
b) we both had to get the ATF filter replaced under warranty (http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B14-049.PDF)

Around 78k miles my power steering unit module went out and had to get that replaced. Acura was able to do a concession for me and I only had to pay $250 instead of $1500 for the unit.

So far I feel like the 12-14 models (mid-cycle refresh) have fewer issues. But I could be wrong. Hope this helps
I've heard about a few power steering unit failures. Crossing my fingers on that one What were the symptoms? The PS just cuts out?
Old 10-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
No symptoms at all, I was driving home from work on the highway and all of a sudden my dash just went crazy with lights flashing. And yes the steering wheel is very hard to turn if you are parked...

I was still able to make a quick video of it though haha
Old 10-27-2017, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I'd get 2012+ just because the refresh had substantial improvements both cosmetic and mechanical. All other issues have been noted above.

And yeah get the Tech package.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by fryrice
No symptoms at all, I was driving home from work on the highway and all of a sudden my dash just went crazy with lights flashing. And yes the steering wheel is very hard to turn if you are parked...

I was still able to make a quick video of it though haha
https://youtu.be/xlsWNSKyKIk

"Oh I'm driving down a highway and my car's going crazy, power steering isn't working. Lemme take a video on my phone!"
Old 10-27-2017, 04:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 664 Likes on 358 Posts
The 4G is solid. It does have some issues but overall other than things that can be fixed under TSB it's a long lasting vehicle
Old 10-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
The potential problems don't seem to be isolated to any particular year. Here are the three main issues that seem to be most common and costly:

Potential oil consumption issue ...
Propeller shaft whine with the SH-AWD...

Torque converter issue with ALL models and years (FWD and SH-AWD, 2009-2011 5AT and 2012-2014 6AT). There is a software update to the ECU that the dealer provides which largely fixes this. Some have gotten it replaced under warranty as well. It seems that if it happens, it's relatively early in the cars life. Seems that if you've gone 50K+ miles and haven't had a problem, that you're unlikely to have it in the future. When I got my FWD, I immediately got the software update. I never had any problems to begin with but the software update helps reduce torque converter wear by reducing tach-hunting and locking the TC earlier. I have 130K miles now with no problems.
I just wanted to chime in on this as I've done extensive research on it and I've had 3 TSBs related to the trans performed on my 2012 FWD TL Tech. Let me start with this, it IS NOT as big of an issue as you would think when it comes to a car with "transmission issues". I bought my car used in 2016 with 48K on it. An elder couple owned the car before me and it was well maintained. When I was car shopping I wanted a 4G since I loved my 3G so much and before going out to dealerships I did some research on the cars just as you're doing now(OP). At that time, only the AWD's had reports of transmission issues, which is why I decided to go FWD( I really wish I knew what I know now back then). I test drove 3 2012-2014 TLs that day and mine was the only one that didn't have a jerky shift.... at first. On my way home from the dealership the car started showing the signs of the transmission judder. So I searched and searched to find info of the TQ issue in the FWD models and came up with nothing.... So I called Acura (Corporate) and they told me that there is the TSB for the FWD model. The first time I brought the car in, they did the 3x1 drain and fill procedure and flashed the ECM or PCM. Didn't go away. The dealership told me that there wasn't anything they could do, so I called corporate again, and they confirmed that there was an additional TSB to replace the TQ if the first TSB didn't resolve. They also called my dealership and told them to replace my TQ right away, no need to capture an image of my ECM/PCM and send to Acura and wait for the approval to do the replacement. This fixed it... A few months later I heard this chirping sound when I started the car up in the morning (Sounded like the drive belt was slipping). There's a TSB on the transmission filter causing this, which I think they should've changed that when they replaced the TQ, but whatever.... Anyways, chirping noise gone. The car drives and shifts great. I normally only drive it in Shiftronic mode cause I dont like the throttle response in regular Drive(I call it "Grandma Mode"), even with editing the TPS attributes with my KTuner.

On a side note, earlier this year Acura/Honda figured out that the TQ isn't actually faulty. They say the Transmission fluid's lifespan is shorter than anticipated and as of right now they're working on a software patch to fix it, but you can get a full TF flush as a temporary fix for free. Don't let this discourage you from buying a TL. Like I said before, the transmission issue isn't really a big deal.. Go for the SH-AWD if you can, I wish I did. I love my TL though. I have already put 35-40k miles on it and the only other problem I've had with it is the alternator went out, which was technically my fault and not workmanship...
The following users liked this post:
OldBroad_05 (02-06-2018)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mada51589
On a side note, earlier this year Acura/Honda figured out that the TQ isn't actually faulty. They say the Transmission fluid's lifespan is shorter than anticipated and as of right now they're working on a software patch to fix it, but you can get a full TF flush as a temporary fix for free. Don't let this discourage you from buying a TL. Like I said before, the transmission issue isn't really a big deal.. Go for the SH-AWD if you can, I wish I did. I love my TL though. I have already put 35-40k miles on it and the only other problem I've had with it is the alternator went out, which was technically my fault and not workmanship...
Really? Well, if this is true, it's good news. I'd rather the problem be from too much optimism in the longevity of the fluid vs. a mechanical defect. I change my fluid every other oil change (usually 12k-15k miles) and I've changed my filter 3X over the last 70 miles. So far it's been solid. Guess I'll keep doing that.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I'd get 2012+ just because the refresh had substantial improvements both cosmetic and mechanical. All other issues have been noted above.

And yeah get the Tech package.
Oh yeah. Cosmetically, its a completely different car... Okay, not completely, but the things they changed , like the "bird beak" grill and the blacked out headlights, changed the way the 4G TL was reppin. I like the 6 speed automatic, but would still prefer the 5 speed.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:08 PM
Drifting

Oh yeah. Cosmetically, its a completely different car... Okay, not completely, but the things they changed , like the "bird beak" grill and the blacked out headlights, changed the way the 4G TL was reppin. I like the 6 speed automatic, but would still prefer the 5 speed.
I've talked to some that prefer the more aggressive look of the 2009-2011, but it seems that many of them still do the front beak conversion, which makes it look more like the 2012-2014.

Why do you prefer the 5 speed? One of the key factors for me getting a 4G with the MMC was the fact that it had the 6 speed.
The following users liked this post:
the_razor (11-01-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Really? Well, if this is true, it's good news. I'd rather the problem be from too much optimism in the longevity of the fluid vs. a mechanical defect. I change my fluid every other oil change (usually 12k-15k miles) and I've changed my filter 3X over the last 70 miles. So far it's been solid. Guess I'll keep doing that.
Yeah, It's legit:See the TSB section of the forms. TSB - 16-046
This is for ALL FWD and SHAWD w/6-speed ATs, 2012-2014.

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-046.PDF

I hope you mean that you're doing a 3x1 TF change every other oil change, not 3x3!!! I still think every 15k miles is a bit overkill, but it surely wont hurt. Just like I change my oil every 3k - 3.5k miles, which really is a bit overkill, especially since at least 90% of my daily mileage is highway or interstate, but I do it. I do a TF 3x1 every 30k just because my mileage is mostly hwy/intrste, which is the recommended interval. I had my 3G for 5 years and put over 150k miles on it, and with my service intervals, I never had any engine/trans issues... never.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:38 PM
Advanced

I've talked to some that prefer the more aggressive look of the 2009-2011, but it seems that many of them still do the front beak conversion, which makes it look more like the 2012-2014.

Why do you prefer the 5 speed? One of the key factors for me getting a 4G with the MMC was the fact that it had the 6 speed.
I guess I can see how the 09-11s look more "aggressive" with all of it's pointy edges and arrow shaped stance, but even with the grill conversion it doesn't look right for its era. The transition from the 3G to the 09 4G looks like Acura went a step backwards in the body styling, especially when making it a overall bigger bodied car to compete with the other automakers. That's just my opinion... Everyone has their own.

I prefer the 5AT only because of the shift points. The 6AT, in regular Drive, feels like the car is just forcing you go slower as it shifts up so quickly. I know that its like that just to improve gas mileage, but the kick down is even worse. Don't get me wrong, I love the 6 speed AT when it comes to manually paddle shifting!!!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am curious why 2009 to 2011 was not included in the TSB? I have started doing my yearly ATF fluid change any ways after reading losiglow. I noticed with my when the weather gets cold I don't get any of those slight judder etc vs during summer days.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:51 PM
Drifting

I hope you mean that you're doing a 3x1 TF change every other oil change, not 3x3!!!
Correct. Just a drain and refill. I did the 3x3 when I first bought the car (used) but that's it.

I prefer the 5AT only because of the shift points. The 6AT, in regular Drive, feels like the car is just forcing you go slower as it shifts up so quickly. I know that its like that just to improve gas mileage, but the kick down is even worse. Don't get me wrong, I love the 6 speed AT when it comes to manually paddle shifting!!!
That makes sense. I haven't driven the 5AT but it's true that the 6AT upshifts very early. I almost exclusively use the paddle shifters since this is the first car I've owned with an automatic transmission. I'm too used to micromanaging the gears
Old 11-02-2017, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by the_razor
I am curious why 2009 to 2011 was not included in the TSB? I have started doing my yearly ATF fluid change any ways after reading losiglow. I noticed with my when the weather gets cold I don't get any of those slight judder etc vs during summer days.
The 09-11 have the 5AT. The 6AT was first introduced to the TL in 2012, along with the 3-stage torque converter.

Go here to to find all of the TSBs for your year:
https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...inside-945434/
Old 11-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Advanced

We’ve gone a little ways off track in this forum... my bad...

Back to the OP... Have you decided if you’re going to get a TL? Do you have any other questions?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Drifting

Well, I'll tell the OP this (in my humble opinion), if you go Acura, go with the TL. The RLX is too expensive for what you're actually getting. The ILX is fun but gutless - more of a glorified civic. I believe the TL is more of a drivers car than the TLX, although I've heard good things about the new A-Spec, but that may be out of your budget. I was happy to get my TL back when they were doing the Takada airbag recall and loaned me a TLX for a day. And having driven a 2017 Accord, the TL is much more than a glorified Accord. I believe it may be based on the same chassis, or at least was in previous generations. But for the 4G, the TL it's a whole different animal. It's still no BMW 335 or Lexus F-sport but it's certainly more than an Accord in my opinion.

Or you could just go SUV and get a RDX or MDX. Acura has some of the best SUV's out there, especially with the SH-AWD. There's a strong chance my next car will be an RDX if I go with a crossover or SUV rather than a sedan. But I think their cars are a notch below most other luxury brands. I stick with Acura because you get more for your money compared to other brands and they're pretty well balanced cars in terms of reliability, performance, tech and comfort. But if you want a top notch sedan, Audi, BMW and Lexus are better.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:00 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Well, I'll tell the OP this (in my humble opinion), if you go Acura, go with the TL. The RLX is too expensive for what you're actually getting. The ILX is fun but gutless - more of a glorified civic. I believe the TL is more of a drivers car than the TLX, although I've heard good things about the new A-Spec, but that may be out of your budget. I was happy to get my TL back when they were doing the Takada airbag recall and loaned me a TLX for a day. And having driven a 2017 Accord, the TL is much more than a glorified Accord. I believe it may be based on the same chassis, or at least was in previous generations. But for the 4G, the TL it's a whole different animal. It's still no BMW 335 or Lexus F-sport but it's certainly more than an Accord in my opinion.

Or you could just go SUV and get a RDX or MDX. Acura has some of the best SUV's out there, especially with the SH-AWD. There's a strong chance my next car will be an RDX if I go with a crossover or SUV rather than a sedan. But I think their cars are a notch below most other luxury brands. I stick with Acura because you get more for your money compared to other brands and they're pretty well balanced cars in terms of reliability, performance, tech and comfort. But if you want a top notch sedan, Audi, BMW and Lexus are better.
Actually, when the TL was still current, it ran right with the 335, S4 and G37 in a couple of road course tests, at least in the 6MT version. In one test, it bettered the lap times of all those cars (but the test may included the older, V8 S4 model), while in another (in Automobile magazine) it ran .1 second slower per lap than the then-current supercharged V6 S4. In the latter test, it was faster in every corner on the track than the S4. The TL is more than capable.