What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do?

I just recently purchased/leased a 2012 SH AWD Advance. I traded my 09 SH AWD Tech for this car. It is BWP with Taupe interior. When dealing with the sales guys and after coming to a price the delaership had to find the car. Three days later they called to tell me they found one at a dealership 100 miles away. I was OK with that and patiently waited for them to pick up the car and install the accesories I added. A few days later I picked up the car and brought her home. Tis car is primarily my wife's driver so I didn't do much more. The next day I made an appointment to get the tint done. We drove the car some over the weekend and on Monday I had a guy come out and detail it for me. After detailing and loking over the car better than I had before I noticed that on both chrome trim pieces on the top and front there were multiple dents. My immediate reaction , and that of the detailer, was HAIL DAMAGE.

I called the dealership the next morning and made an appointment to get it fixed along with a couple of other issues I had. I also sent an email to the salesman who sold me the car and asked him to call me when he saw the car. I asked that the service writer make sure that the salesman saw the car before he fixed it .

I dropped the car off this morning and showed the service writer the dents and asked him what he thought and he said without hesitation that it looked like hail to him.

So the day goes by and no call from anyone until 4:00 pm and the service guy calls to tell me he fixed the other issues and the body shop has the trim pieces and will fixit in the morning. I asked if the sales guy had looked at the car and said yes the salesman and th GM looked at it and informed him that they would take care of it. That's all! Like there should be any reason they wouldn't.

My question is wouldn't you think something else should be done? I mean after all I purchased a new car not a damaged one.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
No. They fixed the issue without arguing. Just go with it and keep a good relationship, but I would be damn sure to go over the rest of the car with a fluorescent ligh to make sure there aren't others in the body. I just recently suffered hail damage and the first I notices were in the trim where you found it, but after closer inspection there are at least 20 in the hood, trunk lid,roof, roof rails and doors. They are subtle, so you have to look hard.

If you find them in the body they can be fixed and will be. Frankly, lots of people have purchased cars that previously had hail damage and they never know it.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
you purchased a brand new car with hail damage? DAFAQ?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
When I bought my new TL I naturally expected it to be just about perfect. I think your right on for questioning why they didnt contact you after looking at the damage. Im sure they want you to be 100% happy - especially with what these cars cost.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
wow, if the fix it to your satifaction I guess i would just live with it. let me tell you, I would be PISSED. No, I would demand another car. Yep knowing how anal I am, thats what I would do, provided they could find anther one. Then again my salesman knows me and aint no way he would do that with me. If fact when they got my 09 they sent the firdt one back cuz he knew I would not b satified. My salesmen never told me what was wrong with the car, he just got me another.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
^ Wow dwest it sounds like you have a good salesman!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogan9166
No. They fixed the issue without arguing. Just go with it and keep a good relationship, but I would be damn sure to go over the rest of the car with a fluorescent ligh to make sure there aren't others in the body. I just recently suffered hail damage and the first I notices were in the trim where you found it, but after closer inspection there are at least 20 in the hood, trunk lid,roof, roof rails and doors. They are subtle, so you have to look hard.

If you find them in the body they can be fixed and will be. Frankly, lots of people have purchased cars that previously had hail damage and they never know it.
I should clarify my statement. They should either fix it to new condition, knock significant money off and leave you to fix it, or find you a new car. Any combination of the above should not be expected IMO.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:08 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
No way I would accept it. No way.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
OP, dealer fixed the issue. Not much you can do at this point.

They should have never sold the car as new. You could report it to Acura/HMCo., but it prob won't make any difference.

Had a new MSpeed6 with a paint problem on the trunk. Took me three big meetings with dealer to get it fixed right.

Now when I buy a car it gets the fine tooth comb on top and a flashlight underneath.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:25 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I guess at this point you will have to have to make sure they fix it to your satisfaction. I would not have accepted the car as is. The one thing I hate is having people do work on my car after the purchase because they just don't care about the little things. They done it 100 times before so your car is the 101.
If I could do everything on my cars I would. But that'll never happen. You will even need to clean up after your tint guy is done tinting your car.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
OP, dealer fixed the issue. Not much you can do at this point.

They should have never sold the car as new. You could report it to Acura/HMCo., but it prob won't make any difference.

Had a new MSpeed6 with a paint problem on the trunk. Took me three big meetings with dealer to get it fixed right.

Now when I buy a car it gets the fine tooth comb on top and a flashlight underneath.
lol you just had the trunk.. i had to deal with the whole car having paint issues.. but i think i did pretty well.. my car has 23k, brand spanking new paint, (the old paint was ok but i had dings here and there) and acura finally after 2 weeks of going back and forth up'ed my warranty till 2017 with 120k warranty..

i really could not have done anything as i was stuck with the car.. rather just get the most out of it..
Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I think you're good to go. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:21 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I got the car back last night and I looked the car over from top to bottom and honestly I could not find another ding or dent anywhere. I guess the thing is shame on me for not looking the car over better when I picked it up the first time as I would never have accepted it then. I had a long conversation with the GM of the dealership and expressed my concerns and he assured me that if I found anything additional wrong with the car he would take care of it. The thing is he did not try to deny that the car had some kind of hail damage and that it was there when I bought it but he also explained the procedures for reporting or repairing a damaged car that had damage over $500. So I guess at this point I am satisfied but as I said I wish I had seen the damage before I ever left the dealership. One other thing I mentioned to the GM was that I would have appreciated a call from his sales team instead of me having to go to him.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Hogan9166

I agree, dealerships are usually stingy and they dont like to take money out of their own pockets unless youre paying for some of it even if theyre at fault. Keep a good relationship with them, it can come in handy in the future.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:53 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
You guys wouldn't believe how many of these cars are hit from lot damage, transport, etc. They are just sublet out to the dealer body shop to have repaints or repairs and it doesn't get reported to car fax.

Regardless, enjoy the car. Yes the hail hits suck, but if they fixed it to your satisfaction I wouldn't lose sleep over it.