What should Acura have done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Acura realized that they went a little to aggressive with the 4g styling (that is what i was told this weekend while talking to the lead designer) . That was what the mmc changes are trying to address. They acknowledged the issues and addressed them while still trying to keep the overall theme they were going for with the grille. Like Colin said. The 5g will come in due time and was started a while ago. Its too soon to redesign the whole car and put out a 5g. When things settle down over there things will be ok. In the end this wont hurt acura. Knee jerk reaction and thinking only leads to bad speculation. Look longer term, not tomorrow
Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Acura realized that they went a little to aggressive with the 4g styling (that is what i was told this weekend while talking to the lead designer) . That was what the mmc changes are trying to address. They acknowledged the issues and addressed them while still trying to keep the overall theme they were going for with the grille. Like Colin said. The 5g will come in due time and was started a while ago. Its too soon to redesign the whole car and put out a 5g. When things settle down over there things will be ok. In the end this wont hurt acura. Knee jerk reaction and thinking only leads to bad speculation. Look longer term, not tomorrow

Cool post, I can see why they wouldn't do a complete change yet. And I agree with them being a bit overly aggressive, it was like BAM! Super Futuristic Funktified Salvador Dali Artistic Emotionalism in your face design! But I was there I was with it...me and about 20,000 at first, LOL joking. But seriously I realize that as soon as one design is being nearly finalized the next is in the works, it's the biznezz baby Looking forward to the 5G in a few years. Peace playa...
Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
i think hp is fine, it's the TL's weight that is an issue

but of course, there's no reason to improve it because there are heavier vehicles in it's class right?
That is perhaps an oversimplification. Frankly, "lightness" costs money. You either use more aluminum or switch to high strength steel (which is still more expensive than 'regular' steel). The car already uses an aluminum hood, aluminum front bumper, aluminum subframe and lots of HSS. They could go the RL route and use aluminum for the fenders and trunklid but IMO, this car already costs enough.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Good luck getting that Acura to move off the assembly line without an engine or transmission
News Release Earthquake Impact on Honda Operations
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/news-releases-earthquake-impact-honda-operations-811853/
Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Perhaps they 2012 treatment should have been the base model and the 09-11 version the SH-AWD version from the word go? Maybe tweak the larger grill a bit, smaller...just my view point.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I like it when a car company really distinguishes the sport/special editions too. For the '12, I am not pleased that the ONLY thing they did was the badge and maybe wheels/tires.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I like it when a car company really distinguishes the sport/special editions too. For the '12, I am not pleased that the ONLY thing they did was the badge and maybe wheels/tires.
+1 They should have kept the quad tipped exhaust.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CalgaryAWDTL
Good question....

IMHO they should've done nothing with the 4G and waited for the 5G launch in a few years or maybe release it one year sooner.

Sales are down for most manufacturers when comparing successive model generations but that is mainly due to the economic woes. This 4G design was actually starting to grow on people and sometimes with bold designs it does take time to accept. I really don't believe this facelift will amount to much improvement in sales.
If the sales figures go up for the 2012 and 2013, I suspect it will be due to a hopefully improving economy instead of the refresh. For every comment I've seen saying they love the new front and rear end, there is one professing love for the beak.

I initially didn't like the 4G. But as time went on, an I grew to like it, and once I saw the refresh, I ran to my local dealer as fast as I could to get a 2011. The only regret I have now is that I didn't get the 6MT SH-AWD when it first came out.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by halls120
If the sales figures go up for the 2012 and 2013, I suspect it will be due to a hopefully improving economy instead of the refresh. For every comment I've seen saying they love the new front and rear end, there is one professing love for the beak.

I initially didn't like the 4G. But as time went on, an I grew to like it, and once I saw the refresh, I ran to my local dealer as fast as I could to get a 2011. The only regret I have now is that I didn't get the 6MT SH-AWD when it first came out.
Same here. 6MT rocks!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Racer

It's funny how folks here are saying that Acura should evolved the design of the 3G TL for the 4G, but isn't that what Honda just did with the new Civic? People are bitching that it looks too much like the outgoing model, which is a fine looking car, just like the 3G TL is. No matter what, people are going to complain and say Acura should have done this, or that. It's just the way it is! Everyone didn't appreciate the look of the 4G, and it seems like only people who like to stand out, be different and not go with the status quo, truly embraced the original 4G design. The MMC design did tone down the looks, but like others have said, I think people were finally starting to embrace the design, because I am seeing more and more TLs on the road now.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ac Man
It's funny how folks here are saying that Acura should evolved the design of the 3G TL for the 4G, but isn't that what Honda just did with the new Civic? People are bitching that it looks too much like the outgoing model, which is a fine looking car, just like the 3G TL is. No matter what, people are going to complain and say Acura should have done this, or that. It's just the way it is! Everyone didn't appreciate the look of the 4G, and it seems like only people who like to stand out, be different and not go with the status quo, truly embraced the original 4G design. The MMC design did tone down the looks, but like others have said, I think people were finally starting to embrace the design, because I am seeing more and more TLs on the road now.
Why is it supposed to be funny?

You're saying that, they had an evolutionary redesign for the civic, which in no way, is related to the revolutionary design for the TL... and you say it's funny? (It's kind of the opposite of what you were trying to imply.....)

You're assuming that the same strategy will work for both cars.. which are DRASTICALLY different, and compete in completely different segments for completely different buyers...

No, it's not funny.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Here's a different take on what should have been done. I would have skipped the 11 model year all together or offered the 12 as the 11 model.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by halls120
But those are only here. This is a forum for fans, and a bit zealous about it too. If you look over the archives, I count something like five of us giving up on our 4Gs for various reasons (i.e. not all the styling)... and then after a while fading away.

The real test will be whether the 4.5G sales climb faster than the Audi/BMW/Infiniti sales in the same price range.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
Why is it supposed to be funny?

You're saying that, they had an evolutionary redesign for the civic, which in no way, is related to the revolutionary design for the TL... and you say it's funny? (It's kind of the opposite of what you were trying to imply.....)

You're assuming that the same strategy will work for both cars.. which are DRASTICALLY different, and compete in completely different segments for completely different buyers...

No, it's not funny.
Man, what the hell are you talking about? Who said anything about strategies and segments? I used the Civic as an example of folks saying the 4G TL's design should've been an evolution of the 3G TL's design. The point is, even if Acura would've evolved the 3G design into the 4G, people probably would complain about Acura being conservative, just like Honda is being critized for simply "evolving" the outgoing Civic. I was comparing the situation, not the segment or strategy!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I think the fact they did improve the front end a little bit a good thing but not enough to turn sales around. I'm sure the economy also played a part in their horrible sales numbers for the TL.

I think they should try to keep the quality high but offer more tech which originally attracted me to the TL many many years ago. Now Ford is starting to pass acura on their 20plus K cars which to me is just plain sad.

I think they should get the queer guys to tell them you don't wear brown shoes with a black or grey suits and gold chains stuck in your back hair don't make your speedo any more stylish. The over the top interior toss of colors is silly. And while their may be people who would like a powder blue exterior, silver is still a classic.

I think the quality of the TL makes it appeal to a number of age groups so perhaps they should make 3 models to cover the 3 age groups - Type S - with tons and tons of HP and the same MPG as an M1 tank, the standard with plenty of HP but marginal MPG, and the hybrid which may only have about 250 HP but plenty of acceleration as hybrids can achieve quickly and a 30/40mpg.

Improve the tech - update the navi - better voice recognition, easier sync with outlook/iphone/wp7/android, include both touch and knob input, improve the screen quality, toss in a heated/cooled cup holder, put the blind sensor in the mirror and don't strap on turn signals to the front of the mirror but subtley integrate them so they don't look like an afterthought. And the cooled seat should be included in the tech package.

Instead of putting the AC seat (that should be in the tech package) which many people would probably appreciate in the Advance package they should put all the nonsense - a rear spoiler, 19" wheels, a second tach for the windshield, integrated rice burner sound effects exhaust.

I think they should try to jump the schedule and go with a 5G as soon as possible - redesign the exterior without the pixar smiley face (in front and back), try to make it a little sportier looking without going crazy, try to make the updates less slapped together - e.g. blind sensor, turn signals on mirrors, dash that has nothing to do with the rest of the vehicle styling, etc.

I think the TL was in the 2G and 3G versions extremely good quality, a lot of tech and fun to drive. I think the styling improved from the 2G to to the 3G. I think they still have good quality and are still fun to drive but the styling leaves much to be desired but at least since they changed the front end they must be listening to someone - maybe not us but at least the journalists/critcs.