What to do for exhaust replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 12:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What to do for exhaust replacement?

Hey all, wondering what to do about exhaust replacement on a

2014 3.7 Automatic TL

no cats, too loud (checked for exhaust leak already)
looking to go back to stock sound levels and with cats to pass inspection

from factory seems like a 3k parts list, any cheaper options? Seems like a waste to spend 3k with zero benefit performance wise
Old 03-27-2023, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,184 Likes on 891 Posts
Originally Posted by A_Username_Here
from factory seems like a 3k parts list, any cheaper options? Seems like a waste to spend 3k with zero benefit performance wise
This is the same mindset that led to the problem you have at hand, isn't it?

There's a reason the stock parts cost what they do. Its not a waste of money.

The factory parts are the absolute best when considering cost, longevity, performance, sound, and emissions, and a million other factors.

If you want aftermarket, you can either go for performance (HFPC's from RV6). Excellent quality and performance, but you won't pass any actual emissions test. You can, however, fool the "plug in" tests.

Or you can go for an "OE STYLE" replacement which will hurt MPG and performance as compared to stock, but will allow you to (maybe) pass emissions for a short period of time, until they fail.

Maybe try to find a set of used, stock parts. If the aftermarket really could make a better part than stock....imagine how much it would cost.

Last edited by BROlando; 03-27-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:55 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well to be honest the engine had issues and I had to change the engine and drill out the cats because of money problems etc at the time

finally was able to save up some money and wanted to fix the car properly, I agree that stock is best but I was wondering if I could potentially try to get a used one from a parts place or junk yard etc instead of from dealership

I apologize for not being specific, thanks for answering
Old 03-27-2023, 04:32 PM
I ain't right In the head

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
You absolutely can find used stock exhaust systems because people upgrade their stock exhaust in the search for more horsepower all the time. Then they're left with a stock exhaust that they don't need, so they'll sell them dirt cheap.

BUT, unless you get a really excellent deal on a used stock exhaust, I would advise you to go aftermarket. You can get a mandrel-bent stainless steel downpipe, cat, cat-back that is really light for much less than the dealership would charge you for a heavy hunk of steel stock exhaust.

You will have to make sure the new exhaust is legal for street use and will pass emissions. I'm sure that there are several quality ones to choose from. Some are loud, some are quieter, they each will have their own qualities. Personally, I really like Borla. They make awesome high-flow exhaust systems that are a bit deeper than stock, but not gaudy and loud like some systems can be.