Well, I Pulled The Trigger

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I Pulled The Trigger

I test drove the FWD again and fell in love with it even more this time. I looked at the Mayan Bronze on the showroom floor and decided I was not as thrilled with it as I had thought and decided to go with the Palladium Metallic with the taupe interior. What a classy combination. The transition from the aluminum accents and darker grey dash to the taupe is really gorgeous.

Now as to price, I ended up paying $36,150 with the dealership cutting me a check for my last month's lease payment ($664) so my real price was $35,486. There was another dealer on Long Island that said they could do it for $35,400 and also pay the last month's lease but they couldn't guarantee that price beyond March 2nd. Something about a dealer incentive program that may or may not be renewed. As I am not going to pick the car up until early May (which is when I'm going to be actually paying for it) this ended up being a question mark. Plus this dealer was not as close to my home and I wouldn't be assured a loaner car if I had to bring it in for service at another dealership, which is what I probably would do. So after a lot of negotiation (which started at $37k) we ended up agreeing to the $36,150 price with the check for $664 being paid directly to me. Hey, he agreed to throw in the locking wheel lugs.

Do you think I did alright?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Sounds good
Old 02-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
...Do you think I did alright?
Doc,

You did well!

I would have slected the PM exterior color myself but I just came off of a 2G TL of the same color after 11 years of ownership and I wanted a bit of a change so I went with the slightly darker Polished Metal Metallic. I do have the Taupe interior, though, and I love it.

I know you are going to grow very fond of your Acura TL.

The more miles you drive an Acura, the more you appreciate it!

Congratulations!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:05 PM
E-Xtraordinare

You bought a car in Feb for something that you will pick up in May?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks guys!

Hard to believe you can get that much car for under $36k in a world of $55k+ E-classes, A6's and 5 Series.

The car is wicked fast and I perceived it as feeling a good deal more "agile" than the SH-AWD.

Another thing about the AWD was that it didn't roll easily when your foot was not on the gas. It felt like you always had to be giving it some gas to keep it at a constant speed. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the mechanics and linkages of the AWD system. Suffice it to say that the FWD car felt lively and agile and rolled along with abandon once up to whatever speed was originally dialed in. I suspect there will be a quite significant difference in gas mileage between the two that may not be fully reflected by the EPA numbers.

The steering in both cars was nothing short of razor sharp and the brakes were progressive and just had a perfect 'feel' about them that's hard to describe.

All I can say is WOW!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
You bought a car in Feb for something that you will pick up in May?
Yes, If I want to I can get it whenever I choose. I have to make two months' payment on my existing lease in any case. The dealer makes my last payment. So if I wanted to I could pay all three now and get the TL immediately. I think I'll hang on to the ES350 though until May when the weather is nicer. I only put $250 down so it really isn't a big deal.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PsychD -- You've got a lot more patience than any of us around here. I had to wait overnight to take delivery and that was making me crazy. Maybe it's your professional training.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
May? A lot can happen in 3 months though, why seal the deal now? I couldn't wait that long, you truly are a doctor, because you have a lot of patience...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by jimk
PsychD -- You've got a lot more patience than any of us around here. I had to wait overnight to take delivery and that was making me crazy. Maybe it's your professional training.
While I appreciate the compliment, to be completely candid with you it was the very opposite that prompted me to make the deal. I was getting concerned that the prices might go up after Honda/Acura idles their plants to keep inventory low. And who knows what, if any, incentives might or might not be in play in a few months. So I took a bit of a chance in locking in a price. I think it's a pretty good one and I doubt it's likely to go much lower. It also removed any doubt about getting the color combination I want.

Either way I keep being astonished at how much car $35k can buy. I've owned myriad cars over the years -- BMW (1), M-B (1), Lexus (3), Volvo (2) and Audi (1) but I've never had such a feeling of satisfaction at having received so much vehicle for my buck. Let me tell you, cars have improved incredibly in the last 30 years.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Doc, congrats on your purchase. Obviously, let us know how long you hold out before you pick it up. Be sure to post some pictures after you pick it up. Enjoy your TL !!!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like an OK deal......but someone around here recently was able to get an AWD Tech for only $1.5K more.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I test drove the FWD again and fell in love with it even more this time. I looked at the Mayan Bronze on the showroom floor and decided I was not as thrilled with it as I had thought and decided to go with the Palladium Metallic with the taupe interior. What a classy combination. The transition from the aluminum accents and darker grey dash to the taupe is really gorgeous.

Now as to price, I ended up paying $36,150 with the dealership cutting me a check for my last month's lease payment ($664) so my real price was $35,486. There was another dealer on Long Island that said they could do it for $35,400 and also pay the last month's lease but they couldn't guarantee that price beyond March 2nd. Something about a dealer incentive program that may or may not be renewed. As I am not going to pick the car up until early May (which is when I'm going to be actually paying for it) this ended up being a question mark. Plus this dealer was not as close to my home and I wouldn't be assured a loaner car if I had to bring it in for service at another dealership, which is what I probably would do. So after a lot of negotiation (which started at $37k) we ended up agreeing to the $36,150 price with the check for $664 being paid directly to me. Hey, he agreed to throw in the locking wheel lugs.

Do you think I did alright?
I am assuming it's non Tech?

----------------
Listening to: Transglobal Underground - Khalghi Stomp
via FoxyTunes
Old 02-20-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JAB00
I am assuming it's non Tech?

No, I got the tech model. Heck the stuff in the tech package is a huge part of what makes this car so incredibly special. Hard to imagine anyone opting to get a TL without the tech package.

Why did you assume it was a non-tech model?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 PM
no more boost in

Nice color combo doc! but ima prejudiced.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Instructor

A most unusual deal...congratulations!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
While I appreciate the compliment, to be completely candid with you it was the very opposite that prompted me to make the deal. I was getting concerned that the prices might go up after Honda/Acura idles their plants to keep inventory low. And who knows what, if any, incentives might or might not be in play in a few months. So I took a bit of a chance in locking in a price. I think it's a pretty good one and I doubt it's likely to go much lower. It also removed any doubt about getting the color combination I want.
Congrats! I completely agree with your line of thinking and it's definitely a gamble either way so if you have numbers you are happy with, it is best to jump now IMO.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Congrats! I completely agree with your line of thinking and it's definitely a gamble either way so if you have numbers you are happy with, it is best to jump now IMO.
Just had to comment on your avatar. I see you're a Howard Stern fan. So am I. Beetlejuice is an incredible guest. You never know what you're going to get....the sullen, pissed off Beet or the affable, madman. Either way he's a hoot. The only guy on show I think I like even better is 'Eric the Midget.'

BTW, what channel is Howard on on XM? I've always listened to him on Sirius.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Howard is Channel 100 and 101 now. I just got an e-mail from XM announcing the new channel lineup.

http://www.xmradio.com/pdf/channel_guide.pdf
Old 02-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Beetlejuice is an incredible guest. You never know what you're going to get....the sullen, pissed off Beet or the affable, madman. Either way he's a hoot.
Who me? Who me? Who me?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Just had to comment on your avatar. I see you're a Howard Stern fan. So am I. Beetlejuice is an incredible guest. You never know what you're going to get....the sullen, pissed off Beet or the affable, madman. Either way he's a hoot. The only guy on show I think I like even better is 'Eric the Midget.'

BTW, what channel is Howard on on XM? I've always listened to him on Sirius.
LOL thanks and exactly, and Beet is definitely one of my favorite characters of all time!

Since you are a fan you probably know of Mark the Bagger, right? Well I actually know him! TRUST ME, the ACME markets in my region have tons of other people who would fit right into the Wack Pack LOL

Steven Bell, as far as I know you still need to have the "Best of Sirius" subscription to get him on XM, though. I'll have to check the next time I am in the car.