Vibration on moderate/hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Vibration on moderate/hard acceleration

Hey guys,

I have a 2013 FWD with 76K miles and it's started to develop this issue last year.

Let say in the morning I start the car and drive 5 minutes on local roads before hitting the ramp to get on freeway. When I turn from a light and start to accelerate hard (not WOT but moderate to hard), I can feel the floor, seat, and gas pedal vibrate moderately. Steering wheel is fine and it's not a tire or brake issue. Cool weather makes it seems more prominent. But after 5 minutes I imagine the engine must be warmed up already. I don't drive it hard during the first 5 minutes.

The weird thing is that only happens 2 or 3 times a day. It's fine even I accelerate hard after that. Dealership is having hard time to duplicate the issue, so no fix yet. They blame bad gas and recommend a fuel injector bottle. I tried 2 Techron bottles but doesn't seem to fix it.

Any thoughts?
Any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
Are you sure it's not tires? I had some old Continental DWS Extreme Contact that would flat spot pretty bad. Only happened in the winter or when it was colder. Then they'd vibrate due to the flat-spotting until they warmed up. Although, that happened regardless of throttle. If yours only does it during harder throttle that might not be it.

Do you use premium fuel? And top-tier? I suppose it could be misfiring or something related to bad gas but I'd think that would throw a code or something. Maybe try switching gas next fillup and see if it changes anything.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by losiglow
Are you sure it's not tires? I had some old Continental DWS Extreme Contact that would flat spot pretty bad. Only happened in the winter or when it was colder. Then they'd vibrate due to the flat-spotting until they warmed up. Although, that happened regardless of throttle. If yours only does it during harder throttle that might not be it.

Do you use premium fuel? And top-tier? I suppose it could be misfiring or something related to bad gas but I'd think that would throw a code or something. Maybe try switching gas next fillup and see if it changes anything.
Thank you for your reply and getting the thread going. I usually use Costco and Shell which are top-tier, sometimes HEB. It happens regardless though. I don't think it's a tire issue. I run Pirelli Cinturato P7, but it happened with the Michellins as well. The vibrations only come with acceleration maybe on 2nd or 3rd gear. Once it hits freeway speed, it's smooth as glass.

I am planing to get the throttle body cleaned but not sure if that helps with anything. Is a "complete fuel system" service actually a thing? Or it's the same as dumping a Techron bottle in there?

Recently replaced engine filter. The old one was dirty.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
hows your ATF looking? did you get the trans software update for the judder at low speeds? Get the fluid changed?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csmeance
hows your ATF looking? did you get the trans software update for the judder at low speeds? Get the fluid changed?
Thanks. I have the ATF drained and refilled every 30K miles. So that's 2 times since new.

The software update for the judder, isn't it for the torque converter? I'll check with the dealer nevertheless. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Just to update the thread for future reference. The dealership diagnosed bad front axles which are covered under Acuracare. I drove it this morning and the vibration is gone. Hopefully that's it.

He also checked for new software update but one applies to my car. Excellent service advisor and dealership this time. Actually I've been bring my cars to them so we have pretty good relationship.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Yeah it is for the TC, but they also do a trans 1x3.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seemed to have this intermittently on my 2010 FWD TL the first couple of weeks I had the car. After I had the SW flash updated for a transmission "flutter" on 2-3 upshift (if I recall correctly) I haven't noticed it since then.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
My 2010 FWD developed a pretty severe vibration at highway speeds at 126,000 km.
There was a lot of play in the right CV joint and some play in the left side.
I'm pretty sure that was the problem but they wanted over $1000 for both axles so I traded the car.
Interesting that Acura covered it for Hadokenuh.
Have there not been other threads pointing to axle repairs?
Old 10-31-2018, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jim_c
My 2010 FWD developed a pretty severe vibration at highway speeds at 126,000 km.
I'm pretty sure that was the problem but they wanted over $1000 for both axles so I traded the car.
It's funny you mention axles because that's exactly what just happened to me recently. I've noticed a bit of vibration at certain speeds when accelerating. It was subtle at first but increased over several weeks. It seemed to be more based on speed than RPM. Then my CV joint starting making noise about a month later. I just changed the axle (passenger side only) and voila - gone.

It doesn't surprise me that the dealer wanted to charge $1000, but that's still complete garbage. I bought an OE axle for $80 and installed it myself. Took an hour. Granted, my suspension components were pretty loosened up and/or new due to some preventative maintenance on some of the bushings and what not. So I didn't have to fight any of that. But even with rusted bolts and stubborn bushings, a shop with the right tools should be able to knock out an axle shaft job in 1.5 hours at most.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jim_c
I have Acura Care (extended warranty) 6years/120K miles. I would think the axles are covered under that warranty.

I haven't seen any threads posting about bad axles. But I can confirm that my problem has been fixed with the new ones. It's like a new car again.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

It's funny you mention axles because that's exactly what just happened to me recently. I've noticed a bit of vibration at certain speeds when accelerating. It was subtle at first but increased over several weeks. It seemed to be more based on speed than RPM. Then my CV joint starting making noise about a month later. I just changed the axle (passenger side only) and voila - gone.

It doesn't surprise me that the dealer wanted to charge $1000, but that's still complete garbage. I bought an OE axle for $80 and installed it myself. Took an hour. Granted, my suspension components were pretty loosened up and/or new due to some preventative maintenance on some of the bushings and what not. So I didn't have to fight any of that. But even with rusted bolts and stubborn bushings, a shop with the right tools should be able to knock out an axle shaft job in 1.5 hours at most.
Where were you when I started the thread
Old 10-31-2018, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Where were you when I started the thread
I literally changed it out last week At first I thought it was a tire out of balance and kept meaning to get to the tire shop for a balance. I had no idea it was the axle. I only replaced it because the clicking-when-turning noise was textbook "bad CV joint" symptoms. And at 170K it wasn't a surprise that I might have a CV joint failing. The fix with the vibration was like an added bonus.

It makes sense though. If the bearings are going out on the CV then it could cause a bit of vibration on acceleration.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I literally changed it out last week At first I thought it was a tire out of balance and kept meaning to get to the tire shop for a balance. I had no idea it was the axle. I only replaced it because the clicking-when-turning noise was textbook "bad CV joint" symptoms. And at 170K it wasn't a surprise that I might have a CV joint failing. The fix with the vibration was like an added bonus.

It makes sense though. If the bearings are going out on the CV then it could cause a bit of vibration on acceleration.
Lol no worries. At least your lasted 170K miles. Mine is at 80K miles