Umber Interior question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
Umber Interior question!

Sadly I am addicted to the Umber color interior for the new TL's. I noticed that you can only get it in Black and Bronze exterior colors for 2012.

Does anyone know where I can get a list of color combinations from acura for each year of the 4G so I can try to limit my search by color.

Otherwise I'm going to purchase a new 2012 shawd in white, and pay acura out the ass to put in the umber interior.

Thanks for any help, I plan on buying some time around feb 2012.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Until a few days ago when I checked, there was an option to build a 2011 TL on Acura.com, but now it seems they've taken that down... sadly, probably the best you can do is to search for a TL on autotrader or another used car website with an umber interior and white exterior (if that's your desired exterior color)
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Umber is one of those colors I want to pluck my eyes out when I think about it because when I look at it, I think "no way I should like that color... it's hideous".... but then another part of me says "hmm... looks edible, though... nice". lol.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
White/umber combo is stunning. I d love to have it but not available on 2012 shawd. I am thinking of black/umber instead. Leave that kind of elegant interior design to euro designers (bmw audi. .)
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Olu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be putting my car on the market in the next few weeks if you're interested.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
This issue is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to buying cars these days. I am sure this will date me but I can recall when I was a kid and went car shopping with my parents when they would get a new car. It was a much more personalized experience in that I remember them picking exterior color, interior color, what options they did or did not want, etc. When the car arrived it was an exciting day as here was a car specifically made for you.

Now it is somewhat boring and much less personalized. For the TL, you have a choice of realistically maybe 3 or 4 boring colors (I know there are a couple more but these are the ones they crank out)--white, black, grey (light or black). As if that were not bad enough they then tell you that the most interesting interior (umber) only comes with certain exterior colors and option packages. So you end up with maybe a graphite with parchment and you will end up seeing these all over the place.

What if I want a white or graphite with umber? Is it absolutely impossible to get one of these or can you special order it? And, if so, do you have to pay through the nose for the privilege of a non-standard combination?

Doug
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
This issue is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to buying cars these days. I am sure this will date me but I can recall when I was a kid and went car shopping with my parents when they would get a new car. It was a much more personalized experience in that I remember them picking exterior color, interior color, what options they did or did not want, etc. When the car arrived it was an exciting day as here was a car specifically made for you.

Now it is somewhat boring and much less personalized. For the TL, you have a choice of realistically maybe 3 or 4 boring colors (I know there are a couple more but these are the ones they crank out)--white, black, grey (light or black). As if that were not bad enough they then tell you that the most interesting interior (umber) only comes with certain exterior colors and option packages. So you end up with maybe a graphite with parchment and you will end up seeing these all over the place.

What if I want a white or graphite with umber? Is it absolutely impossible to get one of these or can you special order it? And, if so, do you have to pay through the nose for the privilege of a non-standard combination?

Doug

thats one of the very nice things about the BMW purchasing experience. the majority of people build their own cars (there is no additional fee for this) and if you want you can even pick up the car as it rolls off the factory floor in germany (it's called european delivery). and if you decide to pick it up from germany you get a significant discount on the price of the car which covers your trip; so it's an amazing program. of course there are limitations to what you can get you bmw's are very customizable and i believe thats what leads to their great brand loyalty.

*PLEASE LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO A BMW VS ACURA THREAD
Old 08-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by omaralt
thats one of the very nice things about the BMW purchasing experience. the majority of people build their own cars (there is no additional fee for this) and if you want you can even pick up the car as it rolls off the factory floor in germany (it's called european delivery). and if you decide to pick it up from germany you get a significant discount on the price of the car which covers your trip; so it's an amazing program. of course there are limitations to what you can get you bmw's are very customizable and i believe thats what leads to their great brand loyalty.

The only bad part is that you end up with a BMW--been there/done that!

Sorry--I couldn't resist but the agony of ownership wherein every visit to the dealer for servicing was nail-biting time was quite enough for me.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
The only bad part is that you end up with a BMW--been there/done that!

Sorry--I couldn't resist but the agony of ownership wherein every visit to the dealer for servicing was nail-biting time was quite enough for me.
lol i hear ya; but lets be honest, while it's under the warranty i'm more anxious taking my acura to the dealer; at least with the bmw you know that all maintenance is covered
Old 08-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine is already on the market if anyone is interested.... 2010 TL SH-AWD Mayan/Umber 23000ish miles... $34,000 firm... Nothing wrong with the vehicle... I would rather offer the savings to a fellow Acuraziner than have the dealer mark it up to $36,000 - $37,000 range...

I already have a deal on the table to trade the vehicle for a 2012 but I am open to all options at this point.. As they say, everything is for sale until they show me the 2012 SH-AWD Advance to purchase...

Last edited by ferrcad; 08-12-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Umber is a truly stunning colour, and my favourite of the Acura interior colours!

It's a shame that it's limited to only certain exterior colours only. I thought that my Graphite Luster would have looked absolutely amazing with umber!!! No such luck here...

I have noticed that Acura has this tendency to offer more interior colours during the first couple of years of a vehicle's release, and then they will gradually take away the more unusual interior colours.... it's really very annoying indeed.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got black with umber, and

after having had several cars with ebony/black leather interior in recent years, the umber is fantastic. It looks rich, warm, inviting, and fresh every time. get it.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by omaralt

Me thinks that's why BMW's are more expensive, for amongst other reasons.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedmaster
after having had several cars with ebony/black leather interior in recent years, the umber is fantastic. It looks rich, warm, inviting, and fresh every time. get it.
I would love to see some pics of that combo, especially interior
Old 08-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you talked to your dealer? I have a 2011 and interestingly enough there was a time where you couldn't pick white+umber on their website, they said it was only available with black and something else.

Went to the dealer and they located one in white/umber in RI and brought it up.

I realize you are talking 2012 and not 2011, but it still doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 AM
WINNING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my white on umber...
Old 08-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Umber is da bomb... almost everyone who gets in my car (or looks in) comments that they love it... almost got black (which I also like), but too much dust in SoCal and too hard to keep cool (plus, it's nice to avoid black color overkill, since the carpets, dash & door panels are already black anyway).