TSX to TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
TSX to TL

Hey everyone,

I currently drive a 2011 TSX and just bought a 2013 TL Advance FWD since I was able to get a good deal on one. I still have my TSX, but plan on selling it. When I was driving the TL home from the dealer, I was missing my TSX and thinking did I make the right choice of getting a TL to replace my TSX? Maybe I'm not used to it yet... Also, I still think my TSX looks better than the TL, but hopefully after I add the under body spoiler kit and get it tinted, I might like it more.

Anyone here went from a TSX to TL and regretted it?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:29 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
you made a good move. the TL is way more car than a TSX....

I have an MDX and TL. Formerly had an RL. I have had numerous TSX's as loaners, including one V6...which was the only one worth owning....

the TSX is gutless... the 4 banger has to have the $hit rung out of it to barely get moving...the TL has so much more torque it's no comparison....

handling wise...I woudl suspect a FWD TL and TSX are similar...but in terms of power... I'd take the TL anyday. if all you care about is gas mileage, a 4 banger TSX would be superior.. but for fun drving, I"d take the TL.

personally.. I woudl not have bought a TL unless it was the AWD model.... but the FWD models are plenty fun.... just lack the AWD grip/corner ripping handling of the AWD models..

enjoy your TL.. it's a great car.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Hi rx2010, you will grow to really like your TL. The lip kit will make a HUGE difference in the total look of the car. Tint also. Congrats on your upgrade!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Congrats on your purchase - you won't regret it!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
rx2010....Congrats on your TL. I had a 2009 TSX that I upgraded to the 2012 TL and do not regret one bit. Sure, at first its always a bit hard to let go of our comfort car, you know how it drives, corners, accelerate and all but you will get used to the new TL very quickly and when you do, you will not regret it.

I not not saying the TSX is not a good car, because it is, but the TL is as good/better than the TSX.

Keep us posted, and I did add the body kit on mine (except the rear piece) so if you wanna see photos, check out the photo section although I am sure you saw a gazillion photos of the body kit already
Old 06-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I've loved just about every car I've ever owned. Parting with one and moving to the next one always made me feel queasy. But invariably, within a few short weeks or less, I ended up in a love affair with the newer car.

I last went from an '07 TL Nav to a '10 TSX V6 Tech. While I love my TSX, I will have to say that I've never missed a car as much as I've missed my '07 TL. I wouldn't trade my TSX to go back to it but I sure wouldn't mind having my TL as a second vehicle.

You're just experiencing a temporary condition of buyer's/seller's remorse. I feel quite confident that within a few days, memories of your TSX will fade and you'll be fully engaged in the infatuation stage with your new TL. Going from a 4 cylinder TSX to a V6 TL Advance is a pretty big step. In a short period of time, you will be so glad you made the transition. I'd bet money it! Enjoy your TL.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:28 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TL is a much nicer car all around then the TSX but thats just my opinion. . .
Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Old 06-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rx2010
Hey everyone,

I currently drive a 2011 TSX and just bought a 2013 TL Advance FWD since I was able to get a good deal on one. I still have my TSX, but plan on selling it. When I was driving the TL home from the dealer, I was missing my TSX and thinking did I make the right choice of getting a TL to replace my TSX? Maybe I'm not used to it yet... Also, I still think my TSX looks better than the TL, but hopefully after I add the under body spoiler kit and get it tinted, I might like it more.

Anyone here went from a TSX to TL and regretted it?

Congrats on your purchase! They are great cars, but I know exactly what you are talking about. I went from a 2012 TSX to a 2013 TL about a month ago. The TSX seemed to be more fun to drive, yes it wasn't as fast, but I feel like it handled like a go cart and was fun to use the paddle shifters. Being only 31 the TL feels too grown up for me, more refined and more of riders car as apposed to the TSX being a drivers car. That said, I have had the TL almost a month. but it has been in the shop for about 2 weeks due to an accident involving a Thule roof rack and 2 kayaks. I do like the car, but still miss my TSX at times. The TL is a lot more car and IMO is a more luxurious car as apposed to the TSX being a sportier car. When I had the TSX I yearned for more power because I always found myself trying to reach the limits of the car. In the TL I have the extra power, but never find myself using it. I told my wife that and she just shook her head. Maybe in time as I get used to it more I'll grow to love it, right now I just like it.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
RX....move away from the TSX and no one will get hurt! Just kidding.

Look, you made the commitment to the TL. Trust your instincts. Sell the TSX and move on.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by meatball1080the556596
Congrats on your purchase! They are great cars, but I know exactly what you are talking about. I went from a 2012 TSX to a 2013 TL about a month ago. The TSX seemed to be more fun to drive, yes it wasn't as fast, but I feel like it handled like a go cart and was fun to use the paddle shifters. Being only 31 the TL feels too grown up for me, more refined and more of riders car as apposed to the TSX being a drivers car. That said, I have had the TL almost a month. but it has been in the shop for about 2 weeks due to an accident involving a Thule roof rack and 2 kayaks. I do like the car, but still miss my TSX at times. The TL is a lot more car and IMO is a more luxurious car as apposed to the TSX being a sportier car. When I had the TSX I yearned for more power because I always found myself trying to reach the limits of the car. In the TL I have the extra power, but never find myself using it. I told my wife that and she just shook her head. Maybe in time as I get used to it more I'll grow to love it, right now I just like it.

I had a '10 TSX as a loaner for two weeks before I took delivery of my '13 Sh-Awd 6MT. I must say that I somewhat agree with most of this. The 4cyl TSX definetely was not fast but it was fun once you wound it up. The paddle shifters were adequate for sportier driving the steering feel was great and the car was far more tossable than the TL. The TL wins in refinement, power, and the SH-AWD is great. The TSX is definitely a great car, but you shouldn't have any regrets with the TL after a few weeks of ownership!
The following users liked this post:
meatball1080 (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from a 2010 TSX to a 2010 TL and will never look back. More room, more power, and it feels more luxurious. My only regret was not getting the TL in the first place.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
I had a 2012 TSX V6 (fully loaded) out before I ended up getting my 2012 TL base. I won't lie, I wanted the TSX more but I got such a great deal on the TL I couldn't pass it up, still if I had the option to trade straight for the V6 TSX I'd do it. The TSX felt smaller and more nimble and with the V6 it had TONS of power, definitely faster than the TL. The TL also feels like a bit of an older folks car, but with the right mods you can give it a more youthful look/feel.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
'16 ILX Premium/A-Spec

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I've done the TSX to TL switch, not one but twice.

2007 TSX (Auto/Tech) to 2008 TL-S. Now that was night and day. Then from 2012 TSX (SE/6 Speed) to 2013 TL (FWD/Auto/Tech).

I really think it depends on what you are looking for in a vehicle. The TSX in a 6 speed is a blast to drive. The auto, not so much. In my opinion the TSX is underpowered (not the V6 TSX) to begin with, however, the 6 speed option on a TSX helps some since you can ride out the gear and get it wound up quicker.

The TL is not as nimble in the curves (at least not the FWD variant) compared to the TSX however it's refined in so many more areas I don't mind/miss this at all. The TL has a great engine; it's quiet and conservative when you want it to be, yet enough feedback and high rev'ing when you need it. The ride is night and day better... the transmission is silky smooth, the ELS system is awesome, and the cabin is quiet.

These are 2 totally different cars in the end; marketed to 2 totally different audiences when you get down to it.

The TSX is a great car, but the TL is a even better. There is a learning curve as well, you are use to tossing the TSX around while the TL does not want to be tossed around as much, and it will happily let you know this.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Instructor

I hope I end up liking the TL better. I do like that it has much better features like my TSX since I have a base TSX and got the advance TL. I do make a lot of fast, sharp curves and not sure yet how the TL will handle those. I got the car 3 days ago, and I have yet to drive it. When I took it home from the dealer, I parked it in the garage and it's been there since. I've been driving my TSX instead.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I hope I end up liking the TL better. I do like that it has much better features like my TSX since I have a base TSX and got the advance TL. I do make a lot of fast, sharp curves and not sure yet how the TL will handle those. I got the car 3 days ago, and I have yet to drive it. When I took it home from the dealer, I parked it in the garage and it's been there since. I've been driving my TSX instead.
You bought a new car and haven't driven it?? Really? I couldn't do that. I parked my truck in the garage when I got my new car, each new car.. kept the truck
Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 AM
'16 ILX Premium/A-Spec

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Say what?!? You got a brand new car and it's sitting in the garage? No offense, but why did you buy it?

Your never going to understand the TL and what it's capable of/limits are unless you drive it. It's a fantastic car. It's worth noting you need to check the tire pressure on the TL.. many dealers are letting them off the lot over inflated which makes for a rough ride and a decrease in cornering grip.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheAspec
Say what?!? You got a brand new car and it's sitting in the garage? No offense, but why did you buy it?

Your never going to understand the TL and what it's capable of/limits are unless you drive it. It's a fantastic car. It's worth noting you need to check the tire pressure on the TL.. many dealers are letting them off the lot over inflated which makes for a rough ride and a decrease in cornering grip.
The main reason I got the car was because I was able to get a good deal on it, and I have a base TSX and wanted a tech. I was thinking about trading my TSX in for a tech TSX, but I figured if I'm gonna spend more $ on a car, I might as well get a different model car, so I got the advance TL because I didn't like the wheels on the tech TL, and I also liked the ventilated front seats on the advance.

I probably won't start driving the TL until tomorrow when I plan to get it tinted.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Nice upgrade
Old 07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Had 2011 TSX as a loaner and it was a dog and thats compared to my 2006 TSX daily driver 6MT...its not comparable to the wife's SHAWD 6MT