Trade Values?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade Values?

Anyone still hanging around here that's traded in their 2009 or 2010 TL yet? Looking at possibly trading my 2010 AWD Tech 6MT (I know, it's a terrible financial decision but there is a motivation behind it ) and wanted to see what I can expect.

Thanks in advance, 'ziners!
Old 08-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car. I think there were a few other guys, PeteTL and Keith who both traded in their rides. Trade-in is where you are going to get completely hosed, so maybe private party sale?

What are you getting in its place?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Instructor

3,500. It's down to a couple options, I'll post if it actually works out!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinTL
Anyone still hanging around here that's traded in their 2009 or 2010 TL yet? Looking at possibly trading my 2010 AWD Tech 6MT (I know, it's a terrible financial decision but there is a motivation behind it ) and wanted to see what I can expect.

Thanks in advance, 'ziners!
My 2009 SH-AWD Tech want for aroun $31-32K with 19K on it in excellent condition here int he south where there is no salt on the roads. the 4G has not held value as good as 3G did, but it is on par with other cars.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Take a look at their going rate (not sticker) used which is probably around $34k-$37k being that most 10's new go for $37k-$39k. Dealers like to keep $4-$5k for themselves, you can expect about $29k-$33k, maybe more, maybe less. Sell it privately especially on the first year, good resale usually doesn't show up until at least 2 years. I bet you could get around $35k for it, private. All of this really depends on the situation, dealer and what you are getting new and the deal and numbers on that car as well.

Dealers will try to say because it's a manual they have to give you less, but many are willing to pay a premium for it. It's a limited production model do yourself a favor and sell it yourself if you can't get the amount you are comfortable with on trade.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-01-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Carmax is always a good idea..
Old 08-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
My 2009 SH-AWD Tech want for aroun $31-32K with 19K on it in excellent condition here int he south where there is no salt on the roads. the 4G has not held value as good as 3G did, but it is on par with other cars.
Thanks Keith! I had one dealer already offer me $34,000 in an "apologetic" way since he said he cannot take a chance even though he "knows it's worth more." They rely very heavily on historical auction values for the same model year, so his used car manager was not willing to extrapolate based on 2009 values.

I would be really happy with $36,000, and ecstatic with anything more, lol. It all really comes down to the dealer, and what they plan on doing with it.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Drifting

In know in NY we only pay the tax on the difference of the trade in if we are purchasing or financing. Penguin, what is the deal with Jersey?

If I could get $34k for my TL with tax trade in credit on a new car, that would be $2635 in tax savings, basically meaning they gave me $36,635, which is only a little over $1k less than I paid for it.

Even $34k is a great deal considering many only pay $37k-$38k for it new. With that price you probably won't get much more (if any) selling it yourself. I suspect the car has great resale value but a lot depends on the new car purchase too in how they get to those numbers.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-01-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Blacked-out
Carmax is always a good idea..
Carmax is not as aggressive with pricing as they used to be. I used to go there and they would offer more than anyone else, not they just offer what everyone else does, and in somce cases less unless it is a car they really want to put on their lot.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
In know in NY we only pay the tax on the difference of the trade in if we are purchasing or financing. Penguin, what is the deal with Jersey?

If I could get $34k for my TL with tax trade in credit on a new car, that would be $2635 in tax savings, basically meaning they gave me $36,635, which is only a little over $1k less than I paid for it.

Even $34k is a great deal considering many only pay $37k-$38k for it new. With that price you probably won't get much more (if any) selling it yourself. I suspect the car has great resale value but a lot depends on the new car purchase too in how they get to those numbers.
Yep we have the same trade-in credit here in NJ.

Guess I didn't negotiate very well. It's a pretty sad state of affairs if $44,000 Acuras are now selling for $38,000 - that's like GM territory! Maybe I'll end up getting stuck with it then. I'll know more tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts

Guess I didn't negotiate very well. It's a pretty sad state of affairs if $44,000 Acuras are now selling for $38,000 - that's like GM territory! Maybe I'll end up getting stuck with it then. I'll know more tomorrow.
But it's not really a sad state of affairs and not a testament to Acura at all, it's purely economics and the market. The biggest and hardest hit on depreciation is within the first two years or so, and a $6,000.00 difference (using your figures) is to be expected. Also, don't forget that an MMC will be here sooner than later.

I'm amazed at how many people want to dump their new cars within the first year and then are upset by the quotes that they get.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
I had about 24k miles on my 09 (3-4 months ago?) when I asked how much I could get to trade up to a 10 SHAWD or an MDX...my salesman told me $23-24k :| ...needless to say, I still have my 09, theres no way I could have justified an almost $16k hit since purchase
Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ESHBG
But it's not really a sad state of affairs and not a testament to Acura at all, it's purely economics and the market. The biggest and hardest hit on depreciation is within the first two years or so, and a $6,000.00 difference (using your figures) is to be expected. Also, don't forget that an MMC will be here sooner than later.

I'm amazed at how many people want to dump their new cars within the first year and then are upset by the quotes that they get.
I'm not upset. Questioning why this vehicle is different doesn't mean I dislike Acura, or that I'm angry that the situation is not accomodating my poor financial decision. Just surprised that it's different. Previous Hondas have lessened the hit through excellent resale value.

Unfortunately this is not my first rodeo, and I know what to expect. It's just that the Hondas and Acuras I've had before did not depreciate THIS fast, even in the same timeframe. So I can compare comparable vehicles and timeframes without being "upset".

My 2010 Accord and 2007 TL-S, also traded early for different reasons, were not nearly this bad. So for whatever the reasons may be, this particular Acura is just different from my personal experiences in similar situations.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm looking at about $30K on my 2010 AWD 6MT. The TL hasn't sold well in this area, but it's also hit by the incentives. Hinshaw's in Fife has huge inventory, 0.9% financing, some other incentives going and advertise the TL SH-AWD on their freeway billboard at under $39K. (Meanwhile the entire western chunk of the U.S. is sold out of Audi S4 and BMW 335ix 6MTs!)

So when the dealer advertised price is below $39K with other incentives and low interest, a "used" car will start probably around $34K. Mine has some miles on it - 15K miles - so I took another hit there. And the dealer wants a mark-up.

If you can get that $35K, take the money and run!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Thanks all, your feedback is much appreciated!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Drifting

It depends what incentives were available at the time. What I am saying is that when you factor for the tax savings they are basically giving you a little less than the going rate of a brand new one for your trade in. I would not hestitate for a moment on that deal as far as the trade in part goes.

I have had two 3G's and the resale of the 4G continues to be as strong as far as I can tell in what is only two years time. Based on your trade quote, I could get out of my TL now after only six months of ownership, which at the time of purchase I put no additional money down outside of taxes and fees and I would be able to put some money back into my pocket or apply it to the new vehicle's remaining tax and fees. Equity in a vehicle after only six months and no money down is something I have never heard of or seen before.

With today's rates and discounts normally I would assume it should take over a year before that happened. That is a product of great resale despite extra incentives.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-01-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I'm not upset. Questioning why this vehicle is different doesn't mean I dislike Acura, or that I'm angry that the situation is not accomodating my poor financial decision. Just surprised that it's different. Previous Hondas have lessened the hit through excellent resale value.

Unfortunately this is not my first rodeo, and I know what to expect. It's just that the Hondas and Acuras I've had before did not depreciate THIS fast, even in the same timeframe. So I can compare comparable vehicles and timeframes without being "upset".

My 2010 Accord and 2007 TL-S, also traded early for different reasons, were not nearly this bad. So for whatever the reasons may be, this particular Acura is just different from my personal experiences in similar situations.
preceived quality and previous model reliability play a role too in determining resale value for a particular car. Also taxes and intrest paid play a large factor in what you loose....
Old 08-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
preceived quality and previous model reliability play a role too in determining resale value for a particular car. Also taxes and intrest paid play a large factor in what you loose....
Word! Taxes, interest, purchasing an extended warranty (I did; I think part is refundable), purchasing a year of XM radio with traffic (I did), the fact that the dealer needs to make $3-4K margin just for it to be worth inventorying, detailing, warrantying (most states hold the dealer at least partially accountable), showing, etc..

And of course a "used" car sells for less than the same "new" car.

So the trade in loss may rationally be $8K less (mine's a bit higher due to high mileage and Acura incentives lowering the TL's effective price after they discovered the car wasn't selling well), and then the loss is:
  • (Original Price minus Trade In Value) * 0.98 (sales tax) here
  • New extended warranty if any
  • New XM if any

I'm looking at a $12,500 or so hit (if I bought a same-price car again) for bailing out after 8 months at somewhat high mileage but really nice condition. I'd say about $2K of this is due to sales incentives (they're huge here) reducing new car prices and therefore trade-in values; most is simply the process and the extras I bought. But I would expect in three months the 2009/2010 values to go down a bit further when the less-controversial grill comes out.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Instructor

I guess I am mostly disappointed by the heavy incentives. Acura has been pretty good about protecting their customers by NOT doing $2,000+ rebates.

I may end up getting the new car AND keeping the TL. If I do, then I hope the new grille and bumper are a direct swap!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=PenguinTL;12224553]I guess I am mostly disappointed by the heavy incentives. Acura has been pretty good about protecting their customers by NOT doing $2,000+ rebates.
QUOTE]

That is when they had a 3G that sold as well as it did. Car market is tough right now, hell Infiniti was discounting the new M within months I got mine for essentially invoice or about $4K off.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Instructor

True...guess I am spoiled by my 2007! Thanks, Keith
Old 08-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey guy's, I got $30,800 trade in on my 2009 TL SH-AWD Tech with 22354 miles on it back in May of this year... I was able to get the 2010 for $38,000... Was able to use my monthly car payment as a down payment and got into the new 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech... Lost all the miles and at the time I went from 3.9%@60 to .9%@60 months... With this I was able to lower my car payment by $28 and some change a month. Way I figured it, I can drive the car for about a year and then I will be right back were I was when I traded in the 09 mileage and payoff wise... Will take a look at the 2011 MMC and see if it would be worth another possible trade... To me it was kind of a no brainer... All that to get the interior that was my first choice back in 2009, umber Crazy, I know...

Last edited by ferrcad; 08-02-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:51 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ferrcad
All that to get the interior that was my first choice back in 2009, umber Crazy, I know...
Hey, if you now what you want, you gotta go for it.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ferrcad
Hey guy's, I got $30,800 trade in on my 2009 TL SH-AWD Tech with 22354 miles on it back in May of this year... I was able to get the 2010 for $38,000... Was able to use my monthly car payment as a down payment and got into the new 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech... Lost all the miles and at the time I went from 3.9%@60 to .9%@60 months... With this I was able to lower my car payment by $28 and some change a month. Way I figured it, I can drive the car for about a year and then I will be right back were I was when I traded in the 09 mileage and payoff wise... Will take a look at the 2011 MMC and see if it would be worth another possible trade... To me it was kind of a no brainer... All that to get the interior that was my first choice back in 2009, umber Crazy, I know...
I may be doing something similar if the MMC TL is good enough. I'm hoping they add more sound deadening, 6spd auto, new pkg (ventilated seats please!), etc etc.

I may go from a
2010 SHAWD tech ebony/WDP (totaled, too bumpy/noisy)
2010 Base tech ebony/WDP (MUCH softer, quieter, equal power in the straight line)
to a
2012 SHAWD advance ebony/CBP, GM, PMM? (assuming they fix the suspension/NVH)
Reason for the exterior color change is due to lots of little things that are starting to bother me.
#1 The clear bra has slightly yellowed, and up close, you can see the difference in color. I don't think it would as as noticeable with a darker color.
#2 bug splatter, bug crap, tree sap, etc is extremely visible with WDP. I don't wash my car too often so it looks like there are a bunch of "moles" on it.
#3 My driveway at home is really high and has protruding sides so i need to go in almost straight, just a very slight angle. However, not enough for me to occasionally not hit the bottom or front sides of the bumper. So there are parts where the paint has been scratched or simply torn off (near the bottom of the bumper, not noticeable unless u squat) but it still bothers me because now there are a few patches of scratched off paint. Again, would be less noticeable with a darker color.
#4 Door dings are clear as crystal especially with the whole black dents on a white car thing goin on lol

Anyways, i just hope the Base Tech holds its value enough so i don't have a big of a loss when i trade it for the next TL MMC, new Acura coupe/hatch, or next Lexus IS/GS.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Instructor

I'm keeping her! Went to another dealership and got it done
Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I'm keeping her! Went to another dealership and got it done
Alright, so what did you get
Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Well the plan changed a bit, but I ended up with a 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L vert, 6 speed manual.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
Cool - I love the new Mustangs. Give us a full report and pix.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Thanks, it's just a completely different animal compared to the previous generation! Like they consulted Honda for some pointers, hehe.

Picking her up tomorrow, thanks again for all of the support and feedback! Love this board even though I am mostly a lurker, glad I am going to hang around
Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Well the plan changed a bit, but I ended up with a 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L vert, 6 speed manual.

Nice- congrats!!