Trade or not to trade (the correct thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Trade or not to trade (the correct thread)

Acura Family,

I'm at a crossroads and wanted some input.

I have a 4g sh-awd clocking in around 60k. I've had multiple(more than one) prop shaft and torque converter replacements. The prop shaft still whistles after replacement. The torque converter seems to still want to grind (subtly). I'm convinced this is a manufacture defect and Honda may simply be pacifying customers by extending the warranty on these parts instead of designing a permanent fix.

This is a shame because the car is otherwise beautiful, unique looking, fun to drive, and very reliable aside from the above issues. When I purchased it, I said it would be my car for the next 15 years.

​​​​​Can anyone attest to their experience with this car after the warranty ran out?

I have no oil consumption issues as of yet. I do not intend to keep replacing prop shaft and torque converters after the warranty runs out. I feel like I'm just putting a band aid on a non-repairable issue.

I'm thinking of trading the car for a Lexus GS/LS at this point but I'm still on the fence. It's a little hard to let go at the moment. Thanks for any responses.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
it would be like any other car that has come off warranty......either purchase extended aftermarket warranty...or it will be up to the user to replace parts.
if replacing parts isnt your thing, go for the Lexus
Old 07-12-2017, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
If I had some parts fixed multiple times, I'd call Acura directly and ask them for extended warranty, at least for the parts that was replaced multiple times. If they refuse, well then you have more reason to move to Lexus. Totally understand.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
I'd dump it before the warranty runs out. You're probably right - It's unlikely that Acura is going to expend the resources to redesign these components for a vehicle that was discontinued 3 years ago. It's likely just a business decision based on the number of complaints. The same issue exists for those with oil consumption issues that have had the engine replaced or rebuilt - the new one often begins to consume oil just like the old one.

If you love the TL, you can try your luck with another SH-AWD or go with a FWD which doesn't have any of these problems (some have had the TQ issue but it seems to be more pronounced in the AWD). There are plenty of SH-AWD owners who haven't had these issues, or at least all of the issues. I'm not in love with Lexus but if you like it, that route might be the best. I've heard of various issues with the 3rd Gen GS (2011 and older), namely, electrical bugs and headlight issues. If you go with one of those, you may want to do your homework.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 664 Likes on 358 Posts
The car isn't going to necessarily get better with time. If you feel you don't want to deal with the issues anymore the only way to guarantee that is by getting rid of it. Get a 3.5 if you really like the styling and the drive is still good, you just can't take corners. I loved the 3.7TL I had but I believe I did suffer from the oil consumption issue as I checked my dipstick once in between oil changes and I almost crapped my pants it was so low.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:21 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
[QUOTE=GhostTL09;16056777]Get a 3.5 if you really like the styling and the drive is still good, you just can't take corners. [QUOTE]

This x2. That's the only reason I'd like the SH-AWD over the FWD I've got. The larger engine isn't that much different when considering the added weight of the car and I really don't need AWD in Utah as long as I have good snow tires. But the cornering is physics defying with the SH-AWD. The FWD has improved (stiffer) stock suspension over the 3rd gen, but even with good tires it doesn't even compart to the AWD system. I can't wait to get some coilovers so I can take corners better.