TL vs. TSX V6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
TL vs. TSX V6?

I recently had a 2009 TSX as a loaner. I had it all weekend, and had to take a small roadtrip with the family. I got to put about 250 miles on the car. Call it an extended test drive.

I really liked the car. the only thing I disliked was the lack of power/torque. the car would get going but you had to rev the holy hell out of it - kind of reminded me of my old Prelude in terms of power/torque delivery. absolutely nothing down low and then it would wail to redline... kind of fun.... but not powerful as the last 3G TL i had as a loaner. my MDX, all 4000+lbs of it would probably outrun a TSX... but i've got an extra 100hp too...

i liked the feel of the car, the handling, etc. but have NOT test driven the new TL. to me the 09 TSX felt a LOT like the 3G TL in terms of size, hadnling, overall feel - minus the V6.

when the new TSX with a V6 hits the dealers - this will be just like the old 3G. i wonder if the new TSX with a V6 would be "faster" than the new gen TL or the older TL-S like an 08?

too bad they won't make a TSX with a V6 and SH-AWD..that would be cool.

my goa is a small entry level luxury sedan that can fit my kids in teh back for the handful of times I do small roadtrips - and be reasonably fun to drive. i have a two seater roadster for true "FUN" drives...and an 07 MDX for long haul famly drives and big trips where i need all the storage space..or hauling crap home from the hardware store, etc..

but if i do get another DD for myself - the TSX is a tad small to fit all the kids, but on our 250 miile roadtrip i got three car seats in teh back, stuff for the beach in the trunk and the drive on some really twisty so cal roads - (we went to hte beach in the AM for one party, then to julian for another bbq with other people_ so ion one day i hit the beach and hte mountains!!_) the car was a blast to drive on the twistys.. keep in mind i had wife/kids so I was NOT trying to haul a$$ through turns..just enjoying the drive and at m ost i got to what I would call 'slightly' spririted in some of the slow speed turns...basically fast enough to have fun, but not fast enough that my wife would have to say slow down... very safe... but even at those reasonable speeds, i coudl tell the car was a lot of fun to drive around.

it would not be any fun on a track or trulyh pushing it on twisty roads...but for casual driivng - it was m ore fun than the MDX. the MDX does well whenn you get on it b/c of the AWD but it's so big and heavy that the TSX just felt more nimble and sportier.

maybe our next family car shoudl be the TL SH-AWD? maybe i coudl talk my wife into that when the lease is up on the MDX..
Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hasn't this topic been talked to death already yet? What's the point of bringing it up again?

Anyways, I think that the V6 TSX will behave very similarly to 'ol 3G TL in regards to performance and handling....but really who knows?...until the actual production car shows up, it's anyone's guess.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yah, I'm anxious about the v6 TSX too. The 4g TL is exactly what I want on paper, but absolutely not a fan of it in steel.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DivinDude
Yah, I'm anxious about the v6 TSX too. The 4g TL is exactly what I want on paper, but absolutely not a fan of it in steel.
i agree. i don't care for the look of the 4G TL on the outisde. the inside is spectacular...but the outside is still "growoing" on me.

for hte money - the TSX is a great bargain - it just needs more power. with the V6 it would be a slick little car. i just hope hte price doesn't jump up too much iwth the V6, then it will basically be too expensive and you might as well "step up" into the TL.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
It is interesting what Acura is doing with the TSX. The addition of the V6 3.5L 280hp engine, will definitely make it more a compeling choice. I just don't know what the difference between the base TL will be apart from size. Maybe the TL will have better standard amenities (better quality leather, aluminum trim etc..). A TSX V6 with tech will be about the same price as a base TL with Tech I would think.