TL Vs. The Competition

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
TL Vs. The Competition

Just some random musings about the TL vs. it's competion.

The TL is easily the bang for the buck winner in pretty much every category. It's only 'weaknesses' are the styling (a subjective thing to be sure, but I firmly believe it's going to be what put's Acura on the map as an instantly recognizable brand for a long time to come), the lack of a 6 or 7 speed AT, non touch screen nav and smallish trunk.
It's assets are great balence, 305hp in SH-AWD form, awesome interior, real time weather and traffic, a SOTA nav system with graphics that are second to none, audio/infotainment system that is (again) SOTA and an interior that in beautifully and tastefully laid out and functional. Attention to detail is first rate throughout.

The G car is a sports car disguised as a sedan. Great straight ahead power but outdated tech, very cramped inside (only 68" wide vs. TL's 74"), essentially unuseable rear seat, a nav system and screen that are totally outdated. A good value though, if you don't load up on the options.

The A4 has a gorgeous interior but the quatro system is not even close to a match for the SH-AWD Acura system, it's nav system is totally "yesterday" and it lacks many of the tech features to be found on the TL. It's underpowered and overpriced for what you're getting.

The A6 is way more money and doesn't offer a lot more than the TL.

The 3 series is a great "little" car but is terrible overpriced for what you get and has essentially none of the tech goodies to be found on the TL. The nav is archaic and seating is cramped. As a pure driving machine, it probably has no peer, however.

The CTS is much more money than the TL, especially so once you start with GM's a la carte pricing of option packages. The interior is cheap looking but it does have a real boatload of tech goodies.

Mercedes C class is a horrible looking car (again, subjective I know, but....just saying) and is ridiculously overpriced compared to its competition. Must be something about that three pointed star.

Mercedes E class. My partner has one and while it's a nice enough driving car it has almost no up to date tech features and the nav system is almost unuseable it's so primitive. Priced in the mid $50's.

Why people aren't lining up to buy the TL is beyond me.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Why people aren't lining up to buy the TL is beyond me.

1) Economy is terrible
2) Car has become quite expensive and many buyers who could afford the 3G Tl can not afford this one(especially in SH-AWD)
3) Looks
4) Acura is still not considered a luxury brand to many people shelling out $40k+ on a car. They want the audi's, BMW's, MB's, Lexus which carry a higher cachet
5) No rear wheel drive and to many SH-AWD is a compromise that many don't want
6) Looks
7) Most Acura dealerships are barely above honda dealerships in terms of a buying experienc. Not on par with Lexus.
8 Looks

I'm sure I'm missing some.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Cecilt
1) Economy is terrible
Agree mostly

2) Car has become quite expensive and many buyers who could afford the 3G Tl can not afford this one(especially in SH-AWD)
I really think this is another factor that can't be over looked. The Acrua audience I thik consits of many moving up to near luxury lines so widening the gap for that step puts off many customers.

3) Looks
I really think this is a factor, real or percieved. I mean even if you didn't knwo the car that weel and went looking for reviews the majority of the reviews make note of the polarizing looks. Let's face it, beauty is skin deep to many and if they think they're buying a car other people will ridicule then they'll move on, regardless of what they think, and they have been poisioned by reading the reviews before going to look at the car. And finally, most of us agree the car looks far bette rin person than in print, so many peopel are turned off beofre they head to the dealer. Hell I was until I went and got my shot of drug addiction with a ride in the SH-AWD.

4) Acura is still not considered a luxury brand to many people shelling out $40k+ on a car. They want the audi's, BMW's, MB's, Lexus which carry a higher cachet
The TL was selling very well before, so while they don't have the cachet of the others that SHOULD NOT have hurt them much.

5) No rear wheel drive and to many SH-AWD is a compromise that many don't want
Partially agree with this.

6) Looks
Been talk about already

7) Most Acura dealerships are barely above honda dealerships in terms of a buying experienc. Not on par with Lexus.
Hmm, not sure about by you, but here in ATL the 4 dealers I have dealt with are all excellent and treat you first class. Sure a few of them are not as classy inside as the newer dealerships, but the expierieince is first rate, hell better than I was treated by 2 Lexus dealers in ATL.

But as PetesTL pointed out in another thread what do I care, I don't own Acura stock and I enjoy the hell out of my car, I don;t care if they sell 5 cars this year as long as they ar ein business for warranty repair I'm good! Every day I drive it I enjoy it more and more as it breaks in the car is awesome ride!!

Last edited by KeithL; 02-17-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doc, I gotta say this. I'm not trying to be rude, but these type of posts are detrimental to the forum. I hear what your saying, but it's opening up a can worms that you don't want. Everything you stated above is merely opinion. While I agree with most of your post, if you want arguments and flame wars, you started a great thread. The mods have been very lenient so far, but I saw a post that they're getting tired of it, and bans are coming, probably to me too, but couldn't we discuss something else, your topic has been covered many times? Just my stupid two cents, no offense meant.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
OP- We already have the following threads:

(1) TL vs. A4 (which has been locked and we are not going to do that for a while)
(2) TL vs. Maxima
(3) TL AWD vs. 3G Type S
(4) TL vs. BMW 3
(5) TL vs. TSX

If you want you can restart specific 'vs.' threads like TL vs. G or TL vs. C class or TL vs. CTS ...basically everything you listed in your original post about that hasn't been talked about already. This thread is just going to get too messy. Thread closed.