TL vs Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
by exonerated you mean freed from guilt right?

I thought the "sudden acceleration" cases for audi back then were actually due to driver error?
Yep, but reality doesn't usually control us as much as the perception of reality. The dye was cast in the 70's and set with the recall. The WSJ went on to state the it took Audi 15 years to get back to the sales numbers it was at prior to 1986.

Audi, at least in my mind, is kind of like the Chrysler of the German Big 3 (or 4 if you include Porsche). So I don't get Audi snobbery.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
The TL's mirrors are more aerodynamic and it has superior ground clearance.

But as I say it I think the posters in the 4G section won't get it....
And superior NVH which in turns improves 0-60 times and drag coefficient..

How that sounds for you??
Old 11-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YetiTL
And superior NVH which in turns improves 0-60 times and drag coefficient..

How that sounds for you??
Exactly.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Umm.... they're completely different cars. Different chassis, different suspension, different engines. They're similarly sized and made by the same parent company.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
Exactly.
Don't forget that the front, rear, and sides are perfectly symmetrical!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eudreamality
doesn't Audi share a lot of framework and power train with VW? samo samo....
In the sense that technology and engines trickle down from Audi to VW in a few years. The 1.8T/2.0T engines are a perfect example. There are quite a few examples of Audi technology trickling into VW and many other brands. (But that's also true with Saab; they pioneered a few things they don't get credit for.) But it's not like Acura, which was created by Honda. Example: Acura and Honda of America share the same office in California, and the TL and Accord are built on the same line in Ohio. The A4 and Passat aren't built in the same parts of Germany, and the HQs are entirely distinct. Audi has a financial report; Acura is a line-item in Honda's.

Again, I don't consider this important. It doesn't matter. Nobody will confuse a Corvette and a Chevy HHR, or a Dodge Viper with a Dodge Neon. Disregarding labels (and the TL beak), Honda has one of the best engineering and design groups, period. Except that in this particular thread the topic is TL vs Accord.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat
In the sense that technology and engines trickle down from Audi to VW in a few years. The 1.8T/2.0T engines are a perfect example. There are quite a few examples of Audi technology trickling into VW and many other brands. (But that's also true with Saab; they pioneered a few things they don't get credit for.) But it's not like Acura, which was created by Honda. Example: Acura and Honda of America share the same office in California, and the TL and Accord are built on the same line in Ohio. The A4 and Passat aren't built in the same parts of Germany, and the HQs are entirely distinct. Audi has a financial report; Acura is a line-item in Honda's.

Again, I don't consider this important. It doesn't matter. Nobody will confuse a Corvette and a Chevy HHR, or a Dodge Viper with a Dodge Neon. Disregarding labels (and the TL beak), Honda has one of the best engineering and design groups, period. Except that in this particular thread the topic is TL vs Accord.
Exactly, and none of the posts you made in this thread in the last day have anything to do with the TL vs Accord debate. The OP wanted to know the differences, your making it out that the TL and the Accord are the same vehicle, which they are not and your posts about the similarities between Honda and Acura in assembly line, HQs, etc don't mean jack squat in the comparison realm of comparing car styling, features, capabilities, quality, etc.

As I and others have pointed out, Audi and VW share many many similarities to each other, maybe not in the same way as Acura and Honda but they still do, thus making them no better.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ They actually share a hell of a lot more than he claims. They have the exact same engines now in both Audi and VW and they have been doing this for years. The 1.8T and 2.0T have been used in both, the v6's have been used in both, a lot of the same components are used save for the emblems, but even then the windows have Audi symbols..... on VW.....
Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts

If it is not important, why keep moving your fingers on that keyboard? I think you enjoy the banter. I like it as well, but at some point you must ask yourself; "What amount of time here on AZ, if any, is productive for me? After all, I own a Audi."

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
^ They actually share a hell of a lot more than he claims. They have the exact same engines now in both Audi and VW and they have been doing this for years. The 1.8T and 2.0T have been used in both, the v6's have been used in both, a lot of the same components are used save for the emblems, but even then the windows have Audi symbols..... on VW.....

Last edited by Mr Marco; 11-23-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
No no... those things that look like Audi logos on the windows are safety-chains to catch the glass in case it breaks.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:48 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Well the safety chains didnt do to well when the window kept falling off the track....
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Trickle down? 1987 VW Quantum Syncro wagon, powered by an Audi 2.2 liter 5-cylinder engine, with a close-ratio 5-speed, all-wheel drive (same as Audi Quattro) D O G!

Last edited by Mr Marco; 11-23-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

Thanks. I can't wait! I found this article at Edmunds Inside Line.
One of many positive reviews of the six speed.
http://www.insideline.com/acura/tl/2...rst-drive.html
Old 11-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr Marco

Trickle down? 1987 VW Quantum Syncro wagon, powered by an Audi 2.2 liter 5-cylinder engine, with a close-ratio 5-speed, all-wheel drive (same as Audi Quattro) D O G!
My recollection is that the Quantum Synchro was viscous-coupled. All Audi Quattro of that period was Torsen differentialed.

Do you have some evidence that the 87 Quantum had a Torsen center, or are you just posing?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
just go drive the two cars...

I bought a CPO Acura RL a year ago.. 2006 model. at the same time, I test drove a brand new 2010 Accord EX-L, V6, nav.. totally loaded model. compared to the used RL, the accord felt cheap and $hitty... sorry. it's a ncie car, but not even close..not even same league as an RL... if you compare it to a TL... same result.

if you can't tell the difference, then you have no clue!

trying to compare an Accord to a TL is like comparing a steak from Ruth's Chris to a steak you get at Sizzler... they both are a steak..but if you ate a bite from each one... you would KNOW which is better.. and if you can't tell the difference... then your tongue is defective..

an Accord is a nice car.and for most people, it's all they can afford..and they are happy.

if us Acura guys went out and test drove a 550i or an M5 .... you'd get back in your TL and think it sucks... it's all relative...
Old 11-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Suzuka Master

My recollection is that the Quantum Synchro was viscous-coupled. All Audi Quattro of that period was Torsen differentialed.

Do you have some evidence that the 87 Quantum had a Torsen center, or are you just posing?
The four-wheel drive system used in the Passat Variant Syncro (Quantum in the US) shared the mechanics of the Audi 80 quattro using the Torsen center differential with automatic distribution of torque between front and rear axles. The Volkswagen Golf Syncro did not share the Audi system. Don’t believe me, Google it yourself. Otherwise do something enjoyable and positive with your time. And never call BullShit on a gearhead.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:06 AM
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 145 Posts
You cannot go wrong with either car, however the TL is a step up in many various ways.