TL vs Accord

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL vs Accord

This is a dumb question, but what are the real improvement of TL over accord? The curb weight and lots of other specifications seem to be very close but the price difference is huge.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:31 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Night and day difference... a relative recently bought a 2010 Honda Accord EX-L w/Navi and I've bought the Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT. The seat bottoms on the Accord are really hard and not acceptable for me. The TL on the other hand has much better seats. The ELS audio system in the TL is hands down better than the Accord stock audio system. An advantage the Accord may have is the larger trunk space. No back up camera on the Accord (I think the 2011's have them). There are more differences, but it depends on which trim level of the Accord and TL you are looking at.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Eudreamality
This is a dumb question, but what are the real improvement of TL over accord? The curb weight and lots of other specifications seem to be very close but the price difference is huge.
That's right about where the similarities end. Obviously 4cyl accord to SHAWD is a massive difference, but even v6 to v6, the TL is much nicer. Higher quality materials, better stereo, better ride, etc... Go and test drive both and you should easily see the difference. But if you don't, save the money and get the Accord.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the TL SH-AWD w/ Tech (6spd) and my wife has a '10 Accord EX-L w/nav. Here are the differences...

1. Nav screen in Accord is smaller by at least an inch and also the resolution of the screen is probably 50% lower quality (pixelation).

2. Leather in the Accord is less supple. However, I almost prefer the Accord's seats for long-distance driving because of the lack of a substantial thigh bolsters on the seats makes it more comfortable for my size 38-40 ass. TL's seats are nice for trips under 3 hours though.

3. Audio system, the TL wins hands down

4. Ride quality: Road noise is more pronounced in the Accord by a signifcant margin

5. Handling: Over low speed bumps and unevenness, the TL is very stiff so you're going to feel it much more, the Accord is less pronounced, but this probably has to do with the 400 to 500 lb weight difference between the two.

6. Everyday power: Both seem just fine in low speed, around the town driving.

7. Blindspots/interactions with outside of the car: The accord has a lower beltline, so you have more viewable area

8. Rear camera used to be the best seller between the two for me, but I hear the '11 Accords now come with that option.

9. Styling: TL > Accord

10. Trunk space/Interior Space: Accord > TL

11. Rear Leg room: Accord > TL (this is on the account that the TL's front seats can go back farther than the Accords, but the Accord's front seat are limited to go rearward probably to bump up the rear seat space.

12. Paint: TL's have more premium colors, but the Accord still has Diamond White Pearl just like the TL, I think that is the only premium paint they share.

13: Steering Wheel: TL > Accord because I like the thick rim.

14. Front Leg room: TL > Accord

Any more questions? Just post 'em up.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Backup cameras shouldn't be that hard to install. I know on the 06-07 Accords with nav, there's an outlet on the back of the nav unit specifically for the rear view camera. Simply plug it in, wire, and mount your rear view camera and you're set. This was because the Accord shared its nav with the Pilot, which had a backup camera. I could be wrong, but it should have a similar outlet on the 08+ Accords.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the comprehensive comparison. I guess these luxury features are already worth the 4-5k difference in price

Originally Posted by prepreludesh
I have the TL SH-AWD w/ Tech (6spd) and my wife has a '10 Accord EX-L w/nav. Here are the differences...

1. Nav screen in Accord is smaller by at least an inch and also the resolution of the screen is probably 50% lower quality (pixelation).

2. Leather in the Accord is less supple. However, I almost prefer the Accord's seats for long-distance driving because of the lack of a substantial thigh bolsters on the seats makes it more comfortable for my size 38-40 ass. TL's seats are nice for trips under 3 hours though.

4. Ride quality: Road noise is more pronounced in the Accord by a signifcant margin

5. Handling: Over low speed bumps and unevenness, the TL is very stiff so you're going to feel it much more, the Accord is less pronounced, but this probably has to do with the 400 to 500 lb weight difference between the two.

7. Blindspots/interactions with outside of the car: The accord has a lower beltline, so you have more viewable area

8. Rear camera used to be the best seller between the two for me, but I hear the '11 Accords now come with that option.

11. Rear Leg room: Accord > TL (this is on the account that the TL's front seats can go back farther than the Accords, but the Accord's front seat are limited to go rearward probably to bump up the rear seat space.

12. Paint: TL's have more premium colors, but the Accord still has Diamond White Pearl just like the TL, I think that is the only premium paint they share.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Instructor

actually, I've been always curious what does premium color mean.... coz how can you tell the difference. for example honda fit has this blue color, which is lighter but looks similar to the TL blue.... the red honda looks like the TL red as well, black-black, sliver-sliver, the only color I don't see in the honda product line is mayan bronze.... what do you think?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Colorado Springs

Oh, I was merely describing the fact that the Accord Color's don't have metallic or pearl in the paint to the degree that it has on the TL. My wife has the Polished Metal color on her Accord and although I'll admit that when it's clean and under bright lights/the sun, you can see metal flakes in the paint, it is nowhere near as 3-Dish all the time like it is in true metallic or pearl paints. Usually, a premium paint denotes the paint is a 3 stage process that includes a base coat, the midcoat (pearl or metallic) and the clearcoat. In all 4cyl Accords, they are regular 2 stage paints and I can't say without looking it up, but the V6 Accords only have the Diamond White Pearl that is a 3 stage paint.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:57 AM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eudreamality
Thanks for the comprehensive comparison. I guess these luxury features are already worth the 4-5k difference in price
Shhhhhhhhhhhh we all know that the Acura TL is NOT a Luxury vehicle therefore you can't say that these are luxury features. In order to get luxury features you must go to a tier one vehicle like Audi as they are "true" luxury Crap, now look at what you caused me to do.... stir the pot!

**Disclaimer....in case it went over some heads, the above is a heavy dose of Friday morning Sarcasm**
Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Colorado Springs

Okay, one more opinion then I'll shut up... The only reason I truly had for buying a TL over a V6 6-speed Accord Coupe was the fact the TL had SH-AWD and a 6-speed available with an enlargened J-series V-6. I wanted so bad to get the most powerful car Honda/Acura had to offer just to stay true to the brand, but to be honest, if I had to do it all over again, I might've bought the Accord to save the money, then try to wait 3 to 4 years for Honda/Acura to roll out with the next generation of V-6 engines they're working on to see if they're going to blow the competition out of the water like how they were doing with their 4 cylinders in the mid 90's/ early 00's.

However, if Honda/Acura doesn't do something better with their powerplants/designs/updating soon, I probably will not go with this brand in the future.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TLNV
Shhhhhhhhhhhh we all know that the Acura TL is NOT a Luxury vehicle therefore you can't say that these are luxury features. In order to get luxury features you must go to a tier one vehicle like Audi as they are "true" luxury Crap, now look at what you caused me to do.... stir the pot!

**Disclaimer....in case it went over some heads, the above is a heavy dose of Friday morning Sarcasm**

I'm with you TLNV, shhhhh...you know how it is i the horror flicks, when your quiet the "crazies" pass you by. Make a sound and they are on your ass like Georgia fire ants on fresh dead squirrel meat.

I give Acura major kudos on having more distinction between the lines the most other brands. I shopped the Lexus GS and Toyota Camry about 3 years back and I was highly disappointed. The interior of the two was no damn different that one twin wearing their hair parted on different sides to me. Even with the Altima/G series Maxima/M. 2 friends I know just shopped the vehicles and neither came back with keys to either. I was suprised by their opinions as well.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1...here come the fire ants on this one. LMAO!
Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TLNV

that absolutely made my day. Nicely done!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Couple other differences - TL comes with 4 year/48,000 mile while Accord is 3 years/36,000. 2) TL has Bi-Xenon headlights, Accord Halogen.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
Couple other differences - TL comes with 4 year/48,000 mile while Accord is 3 years/36,000. 2) TL has Bi-Xenon headlights, Accord Halogen.
The 4G TL doesn't have bi-xenon headlights, just HID xenons. Still a major feature over the Accord, imo. Yeah you can change the bulbs in the Accord but the TL's xenon lights are outstanding.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:00 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Backup cameras shouldn't be that hard to install. I know on the 06-07 Accords with nav, there's an outlet on the back of the nav unit specifically for the rear view camera. Simply plug it in, wire, and mount your rear view camera and you're set. This was because the Accord shared its nav with the Pilot, which had a backup camera. I could be wrong, but it should have a similar outlet on the 08+ Accords.
We had the rear view camera installed as an accessory on the '10 Accord EX-L, but it's missing those guidance lines as in the TL (again the 2011's have those guidance lines)
Old 11-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Registered Malcontent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks.
I own an '08 Accord coupe EX-L V6 six speed. I'm continually impressed at how quick this car is. I don't think the interior is as nice as some of the previous Accords, and the doors sound downright tinny when closing. I test drove the 4G TL Tech and the interior is superb! Great seats for one, and just an almost endless list of features. When I got the Accord, I couldn't even get an auto-dimming rearview mirror as an option. I bought the Honda mirror on line, and the funny thing is that the wiring harness is already there. Just a "plug&play" deal. These two cars are in different leagues altogether.
I was so impressed with the TL that I have one on order. The six speeds are a bit hard to come by it seems.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by muggs
Hi folks.
I own an '08 Accord coupe EX-L V6 six speed. I'm continually impressed at how quick this car is. I don't think the interior is as nice as some of the previous Accords, and the doors sound downright tinny when closing. I test drove the 4G TL Tech and the interior is superb! Great seats for one, and just an almost endless list of features. When I got the Accord, I couldn't even get an auto-dimming rearview mirror as an option. I bought the Honda mirror on line, and the funny thing is that the wiring harness is already there. Just a "plug&play" deal. These two cars are in different leagues altogether.
I was so impressed with the TL that I have one on order. The six speeds are a bit hard to come by it seems.
Congratulations on your new purchase! I bet you will enjoy the heck out of that six speed manual.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Registered Malcontent

Originally Posted by New2Acura2
Congratulations on your new purchase! I bet you will enjoy the heck out of that six speed manual.
Thanks. I can't wait! I found this article at Edmunds Inside Line.
One of many positive reviews of the six speed.
http://www.insideline.com/acura/tl/2...rst-drive.html
Old 11-20-2010, 09:00 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The TL is made by a better company.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
Love it.

In all honesty, the 6mt tl is a dream. Very quick, and drives like a much smaller car than it is.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
The main difference: The TL has a 6spd MT, 305 HP V6, SH-AWD selection available. The Accord does not. Enough said.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

The TL's mirrors are more aerodynamic and it has superior ground clearance.

But as I say it I think the posters in the 4G section won't get it....
Old 11-21-2010, 12:28 AM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
The TL's mirrors are more aerodynamic and it has superior ground clearance.

But as I say it I think the posters in the 4G section won't get that Im a douche
Dont worry..... we got it.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I agree. They do business with Honda and use their reliable vtaaak engines.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

Dont worry..... we got it.
It's actually a joke from the news section of Acurazine that has nothing to do with the 4G, but I see you're as instigative and uptight as you've always been.

Calling someone a douche because you (wrongly) thought they mocked your car. Yup, you're a man of the 20s all right.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:15 AM
COTM Coordinator

It's actually a joke from the news section of Acurazine that has nothing to do with the 4G, but I see you're as instigative and uptight as you've always been.

Calling someone a douche because you (wrongly) thought they mocked your car. Yup, you're a man of the 20s all right.
Ruh Roh..... sounds like you know me.....

Oh and your not a douche for this thread.... just in general
Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 AM
Registered Malcontent

OK, I can't find it. Link? I wanna play, too.
Frank
Old 11-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by muggs
OK, I can't find it. Link? I wanna play, too.
Frank
Here's a good example.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...9#post12507209

Ruh Roh..... sounds like you know me.....

Oh and your not a douche for this thread.... just in general
Aw, still couldn't think of any substance to add?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:59 PM
COTM Coordinator

Aw, still couldn't think of any substance to add?
There is plenty of your douche like substance all over the 4G section. We have been over this before.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

There is plenty of your douche like substance all over the 4G section. We have been over this before.
Try again.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM
COTM Coordinator

^ No need to try. Its apparent.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh

I had 08 Accord EX-L/Navi and I must make one correction. The navi screen is indeed 8in but the screen is more pixelated on the accord. I always wondered why? Even the my moms previous 06 tl's navi is more pixelated than my 08. Even her current 10' CRV EX-L Navi screen is as "soft" looking as my TL. Is this a firmware upgrade thing or what?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I Hate These Threads

I love when people make these kind of comparison threads b/c they are really pointless and the comparisons always go the same way. I just can't figure out why people can't come up with the answers themselves without having to ask others what the difference is between a mainstream family sedan and a entry-level luxury sedan.

Both vehicles are classified in to two different categories for a reason. They were both designed and constructed for a different focus and it all comes down to what your situation is, what your looking for, and what one suits YOUR needs better. It is as easy as that. Test drive both vehicles back to back on the same exact test drive route (if possible) and make a decision.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 PM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by smarty666
I love when people make these kind of comparison threads b/c they are really pointless and the comparisons always go the same way. I just can't figure out why people can't come up with the answers themselves without having to ask others what the difference is between a mainstream family sedan and a entry-level luxury sedan.

Both vehicles are classified in to two different categories for a reason. They were both designed and constructed for a different focus and it all comes down to what your situation is, what your looking for, and what one suits YOUR needs better. It is as easy as that. Test drive both vehicles back to back on the same exact test drive route (if possible) and make a decision.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smarty666
Both vehicles are classified in to two different categories for a reason. They were both designed and constructed for a different focus
Not quite true. The TL was... let's call it "manufactured"... for the focus of garnering money from the executive sedan (entry luxury) despite Honda not having a credible entry. It wasn't "designed" for it though; it's largely the same frame and drive-layout as the Accord, and built on the same line in Ohio.

Some marques do this, some don't. The top Germans don't (despite the misconceptions a few loud members here have despite evidence.)
Old 11-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Instructor

doesn't Audi share a lot of framework and power train with VW? samo samo....

Originally Posted by TechnoCat
Not quite true. The TL was... let's call it "manufactured"... for the focus of garnering money from the executive sedan (entry luxury) despite Honda not having a credible entry. It wasn't "designed" for it though; it's largely the same frame and drive-layout as the Accord, and built on the same line in Ohio.

Some marques do this, some don't. The top Germans don't (despite the misconceptions a few loud members here have despite evidence.)
Old 11-22-2010, 12:33 PM
COTM Coordinator

Uh oh, youre gonna get thecnokitty in whirl wind of hate with that comment.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat

Everything you just said is a bunch of bull s%^T! The TL does not share a platform with the Accord anymore, your thinking more of the TSX with shares its platform with Euro Accord. So what if it comes out the same plant in Ohio. Plenty of Audi's, BMW, MB etc around the world come out on the same line as cheaper, crappier vehicles. The rest of your statements go along with your typical anti-Acura mumbo jumbo. One other thing you really need to stop doing is putting Audi on such an all mighty pedestal, b/c I hate to break it to you, they are not on the same level as MB, Lexus, and BMW are in this country. Don't get me wrong, they make some nice looking vehicles, and I might shop them one day, but they are not really any better then Infiniti or Acura. They are rebadged VWs, just like Infiniti-Nissan and Acura-Honda, etc. If their branding was so great, they would have sales close to BMW, MB, and Lexus in this country but they don't. Hell, most common folk don't even know Audi is a luxury brand!

Cadillac and Acura both out sell Audi month after month.

Last edited by smarty666; 11-22-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
Audi has a negative stigma attached to it that other German brands don't have as a result of delivering crap cars in the 70's (when I first became aware of the brand) & 80's, and because they were the 1st that I know of with a "sudden acceleration" recall.

"Audi, a unit of Volkswagen AG, was ultimately exonerated of building defective cars, but not before its sales and reputation took a pounding at a strategically critical moment." - wsj.com
Old 11-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
by exonerated you mean freed from guilt right?

I thought the "sudden acceleration" cases for audi back then were actually due to driver error?

Quick Reply: TL vs Accord