TL Tech vs TL SH-AWD performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL Tech vs TL SH-AWD performance

I am looking at an 10 tl tech, and an 09 tl sh. Is the performance about the same? Handling is better with the sh, but I want to put springs on the tl tech if I get it, which should make a big difference...mainly interested in performance differences. Can't find any tests that show 0-60 of a tl non sh...thanks!

I am looking at an 10 tl tech, and an 09 tl sh. Is the performance about the same? Handling is better with the sh, but I want to put springs on the tl tech if I get it, which should make a big difference...mainly interested in performance differences. Can't find any tests that show 0-60 of a tl non sh...thanks!

I am debating between a tl sh and a fwd tl. Wondering if the performance is much different-20hp but 200lbs more? 0-60 times etc. I see everything from mid 5s to mid 6s for both. I am sure the sh handles better, but I would put springs on the tl to make it handle better and give it a lower profile...thanks!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Wow - what a post... welcome!

The SH is actually a bit slower to 60 than the FWD (by fractions of second). Except for the 6MT SH which is almost a second faster to 60 (200lbs less and better gearing). I would suggest driving both to gain the full benefit. The beauty of the SHAWD system comes out in the corners, and it not shown in the 0-60 numbers.

To be honest, i'm not sure why so many people look just at 0-60 to determine how good a car is. There are plenty of other things that make cars good or bad.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've owned both the SHAWD Tech AUTO and a Base Tech, no 0-60 or 1/4 mile tests, but here are my observations:

SHAWD Tech AUTO:
Faster from a stop, no worries about torque steer or wheel chirping, you can stomp the throttle. On a roll, the gearing seems a bit strange and numbs the car down a bit, quick but not fast. Flooring the throttle on a roll for the SHAWD doesn't make it shoot out, even if it downshifts more than one gear, it lacks the "push-you-back-in-your-seat" thrust feeling. It feels much faster from a stop than on a roll. You can take corners MUCH faster than on the base (though you can accelerate through corners instead of holding or lower throttle with the shawd). No steering corrections needed, though it feels heavier when driving/turning than the base.

Base Tech:
Slower from a stop, requires easing in on the pedal or you will get wheel chirping, torque steer, or tire spinning. On a roll, stabbing at the throttle on a roll may induce slight torque steer, but the gearing seems to fit the base model a lot better as you feel immense throttle and a "push-you-back-in-your-seat" feeling. On turns, if you accelerate, you'll get the usual understeer that requires a ton of correcting, though it surprisingly feels "lighter" than the SHAWD model.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally after owning both, if i have the chance later on, I will switch back to SHAWD.

My SHAWD was totaled and I bought the base model due to it being cheaper and smoother/quieter.

I was in my friends VW GTI today with aftermarket suspension, and even though the suspension was extremely jarring over some roads (even more jarring than the "getting punched in the gut" RDX suspension), I didn't think it was that bad. The SHAWD is a lot of car for the money, but if you don't drive briskly like I do, get the base, you may not even notice the SHAWD system if you drive normally.