AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   TL for family car (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/tl-family-car-837018/)

shb 10-26-2011 07:10 PM

TL for family car

I am having my 1st baby soon and been thinking about getting a TL.. What do you guys think a TL for a family car ?

potmilkz 10-26-2011 07:16 PM

um, kinda rough ride, maybe a bigger car for a baby..

TampaJim 10-26-2011 07:17 PM

I wouldn't. IF you don't care about price and fuel economy ... MDX. IF you do ... TSX Wagon.

sarge_in 10-26-2011 07:29 PM

I don't see anything wrong per se with TL as a family car. Just be aware of the amount of trunk space it has, and make sure the stroller you get - if you have already bought one - will fit fine. May stay with Base rather than SH-AWD though.

However if you plan to have another kid down the line and this will be your only car, then I would surely get something bigger.

shb 10-26-2011 07:54 PM

sarge_in, why should I be getting the fwd instead of the sh awd ?
Also is the trunk really that tight ?

djtanveer 10-26-2011 08:26 PM

^^^I would think because the fwd has a softer, more comfortable suspension.

Steven Bell 10-26-2011 08:30 PM

shb, a TL would be a good family car. It's reliable, it will run and run and run. Plus, you can't beat front wheel or all wheel drive in the winter. It has decent room for a baby seat in the back-even 2 seats. The trunk is fine for strollers. Besides, then your baby will be riding in style too!

shb 10-26-2011 08:32 PM

yeah I almost pull a trigger for a CX9 as it is big and I got a good deal... but TL has been my dream car... and i am really worry that it will be very tight..

deuce415 10-26-2011 09:19 PM

You should get the TL for yourself, then get a SUV for your family car. I have a newborn, and she never rides in my TL, always in the SUV.

sarge_in 10-26-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by shb (Post 13324390)
sarge_in, why should I be getting the fwd instead of the sh awd ?
Also is the trunk really that tight ?

As djtanveer mentioned, the FWD rides a bit smoother, so less disturbing to a sleeping baby. The trunk space is also smaller in shawd, and the rear seat has a bigger hump.

Then again, the awd has great handling. So depends what you value more.

shb 10-26-2011 09:56 PM

deuce, that was a good idea.. but I only have budget for 1 new car for now :D either the TL or the SUV...

AGK 10-26-2011 10:11 PM

Well my brother has a Maxima 2010 (TL are similar in dimensions) he is able to fit 2 baby seats into the car no problem. Before when he had 1 child, he even was fine with a civic. So it's obviously doable with a TL also.

under9hell 10-26-2011 10:45 PM

with a SUV, you won't have to bend your back when getting baby in and out. Go for the RX350 :D

Stew4HD 10-27-2011 06:06 AM

Why do you guys keep hammering on about the AWD being THAT much stiffer of a ride than the FWD?? It isn't! I get FWD TLs as loaners and I sure don't feel that the ride is that different, certainly not enough to keep the baby awake.

OP, the TL will make a great family car.

TRC101 10-27-2011 06:58 AM

Depends on what your needs are. We have 2 little kids and my wife's Honda Odyssey our primary family car for vacations, long trips, etc. Our TL is fine for shorter trips where we're not hauling a lot of crap. The rear leg room is fine for little kids, baby seats, etc. The trunk is plenty big for a stroller.

stormy_tl 10-27-2011 07:38 AM

I am in the same boat as you. My baby is due in a couple of weeks. I was able to fit an infant car seat in there with no problem behind the passenger side but it is definitely a little tight. I wouldn't be able to fit it behind the driver side ( I am about 6'3) so you gotta keep that in mind.

Although the car seat fits in mine, it is definitely not as easy to get it in and out of the car because the doors are kind of small and the car is a little low. If you only have one kid and you won't be moving the car seat in and out of the car, I think you'll be fine. If you planning on multiple kids or need more room, then an SUV is your best bet.

Zuck214 10-27-2011 08:11 AM

Being a 2012 TL owner coming from a Nissan Murano I think you would be better off with a SUV such as a Murano. It is a nice size, very comfortable and drives great. The TL is a great driving car but SUVs would probably serve you better until you are done with car seats. Good luck.

Oswald Vater 10-27-2011 09:01 AM

OK - I'll mention the word - MINIVAN! Yea I know they're not cool or sporty or anything but when it comes to versatility and space they can't be beat. Our kids are all grown but we still have one (09 Ody) which we split use with between that and my TL depending on the circumstances. But if we could only have one vehicle and had a small child it would be the minivan.

omaralt 10-27-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater (Post 13325198)
OK - I'll mention the word - MINIVAN! Yea I know they're not cool or sporty or anything but when it comes to versatility and space they can't be beat. Our kids are all grown but we still have one (09 Ody) which we split use with between that and my TL depending on the circumstances. But if we could only have one vehicle and had a small child it would be the minivan.

haha funny you mention that i'm trying like crazy to convince my wife to get an odyssey but she wants a damn SUV...

i have a 6 month old and recently got the TL. if the TL is going to be the primary car for the baby, get something bigger. however i only take my car occasionally with the baby and its' fine; however her stroller takes up most of the trunk space; so a road trip for a few days is out of the question in my car (maybe with the FWD since it has a larger trunk?). also depending on the car seat you get it may be tight. for example with my seat back to where i'm comfortable (i'm 6'2) the car seat wont fit behind my seat. i can put it behind the passenger seat and my wife is comfortable but on road trips she wont be able to put the seat back and sleep. in my wife's camry i can comforatably put the baby seat behind my seat. so you really have to figure out how often the baby will be in your car and go from there. good luck

g37guy01 10-27-2011 09:16 AM

I would stay away from the Murano, I saw one get into an accident and the aftermath wasn't pretty. For a new family you might be better off with a minivan.

Pete2010 10-27-2011 09:33 AM

I've got a 4month old - and i have NO problems at all with driving my kid around. And that included a xlr8 exhaust and H&R's. She almost always falls asleep in the back seat. IMHO the car is perfect as a family car.

My wife has a civic. We both do fine with getting all her stuff around. Don't buy into the belief that you need an SUV or a minivan when you have a kid. We've done many 4-8 hour drives in both my car and the civic.

*edit* Also keep in mind that when the baby is about a year old they're going to switch to forward facing - which will give you much more room for the seats to move back.

lji 10-27-2011 09:35 AM

The trunk size in the FWD model is 13.1 cubic ft vs 12.5 cubic ft for the SH. So, not much larger. If you need a car with a large trunk, get a car that measures somewhere in the 17-18 cubic ft range. Also, the ride in the SH is not jarring when going over bumps and crevices, so it should suit a sleeping baby just fine.

What you need to ask yourself is do you see your family growing before you pay off the TL? If so, get yourself something bigger and the CX-9 is a great choice. Otherwise, the TL is an excellent choice. One of the reasons I sold the IS250 and bought the TL was due to the lack of space for a family of three.

Rockets007 10-27-2011 09:43 AM

I have a 2011 FWD TL that I bought in December 2010 and use as a family car. I have 3 kids, including one in a booster seat. They all fit but it is pretty tight back there. I love driving the TL but if I could get a redo, I would probably buy the MDX!

g37guy01 10-27-2011 09:54 AM

I had two young ones and didn't screw around, I just bought a mini-van, seats seven, back row could be removed. MDX is not my idea of a family car, too small and too expensive. (but that is just imo.) OP could go for a GX 570 or a QX56 though or less upscale Sequoia.

Stew4HD 10-27-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by g37guy01 (Post 13325294)
I had two young ones and didn't screw around, I just bought a mini-van, seats seven, back row could be removed. MDX is not my idea of a family car, too small and too expensive. (but that is just imo.) OP could go for a GX 570 or a QX56 though or less upscale Sequoia.

I am shocked you'd try to push the OP towards an Infiniti... just shocked ;)

It's hard to imagine that I grew up with 5 of us boys and we had a station wagon and nowadays, people think they need a minivan.. just making an observation is all.....

g37guy01 10-27-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 13325308)

It's hard to imagine that I grew up with 5 of us boys and we had a station wagon and nowadays, people think they need a minivan.. just making an observation is all.....

lol, i thought I would get a comment. Lately I have been in some raging debates about what constitutes a family sedan.

I have seen families of 4 with two rear facing car seats in the back of a civic, people can do what they have to do and what they can afford.

It's only when you have enough resources to buy a wide variety of vehicles does this debate ever happen, otherwise one just gets what they can afford.

jnc2000 10-27-2011 10:34 AM

15 month old here... the Britax fits fine behind the passenger seat. Sure, its a tad tight, but it works.

Mr Marco 10-27-2011 10:36 AM

Kids? Family car? Get used to not having any play money. All those cool toys you were going to buy yourself someday, forget about it. You think there's room in the budget for your needs? How hard can it be to sacrifice a little for the joy of a child? It's only 18 years, right? Wrong. It's like having a house guest that never leaves. What about when they are 35, loose their job and move back in with you, grandkids included. And then there's the unexpected situations like when they get busted for shoplifting at the neighborhood Albertson's and the cops find a baggie of pot in their pocket. Try and explain that to the neighbors. And I thought I was a good kid. How sad for my poor parents.

Be smart, put the kid up for adoption and buy a 2 seater.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/2669240691.html

Stew4HD 10-27-2011 10:42 AM

^ Yer so bad.. but not wrong! :D

sarge_in 10-27-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater (Post 13325198)

+1.

If you plan to expand the family and want the car to last beyond just the 1st kid and in comfort, a minivan is unbeatable. Funny that I too have the 09 Ody and it is unmatched for its purpose.

jasonwdp10 10-27-2011 11:06 AM

It depends on how big you think your family will get. When I was growing up, my family always had vans. We loved the extra space. Sure it wasn't a "need", heck when I was in highschool we crammed 7+ people into a 90 accord, but on road trips, even nearby beach trips, it was so much easier than trying to cram ourselves into a sedan.

As far as the ride goes, neither TL is jarring, but they do ride on the firm side. The actual usable trunk space of the TL (either one), despite it's measurements, is comparable to my 2006 civic. Again, it really depends on how big you want your family to get, whether or not you will take the TL on road trips, etc.

I'd recommend a mini van or suv, it makes things much easier.

RIneuron 10-27-2011 11:20 AM

OR
You could get your dream car now, maybe leased for 3 years, since you can only afford one car. There will never be a better time for the next 22 years or so ;-)

Then switch to a minivan when the kid gets older or you have more kids. Minivans aren't sexy, but they are great family cars. And they are so practical for other purposes (e.g. helping move your grown son out of his 3rd apartment). My wife still misses her minivan (she in a CR-V now).

omaralt 10-27-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Marco (Post 13325423)
Kids? Family car? Get used to not having any play money. All those cool toys you were going to buy yourself someday, forget about it. You think there's room in the budget for your needs? How hard can it be to sacrifice a little for the joy of a child? It's only 18 years, right? Wrong. It's like having a house guest that never leaves. What about when they are 35, loose their job and move back in with you, grandkids included. And then there's the unexpected situations like when they get busted for shoplifting at the neighborhood Albertson's and the cops find a baggie of pot in their pocket. Try and explain that to the neighbors. And I thought I was a good kid. How sad for my poor parents.

Be smart, put the kid up for adoption and buy a 2 seater.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/2669240691.html

hahah i respect your opinion :) but so far having a 6 month old has been amazing; i'm sure once they start getting old and talking back it goes downhill; but i'm going to enjoy this age as long as i can :)

we're going to try to avoid having a get a bigger car as long as possible; but my brother recently got the 2011 odyssey and it's amazing. so much room and so comfortable. we went and looked at the MDX recently and while it was very luxurious and nice it just wasnt near as practical (trunk room is laughable with the third row up)and about $15-20K more. it really looks like it's gonna be a minivan for us once we get a second (or third?) kid. luckily for me i get to drive whatever i want since i'm not the one that has to drive the kids around :)

edit: getting the TL was a compromise to the wife for me. i really wanted a 2 door coupe; but agreed to 4 doors so i can take the baby around when needed; and i've actually had to do it a few times; so thank god i got the TL. and after driving it around for the last couple months i really feel like it wasnt a compromise at all; if anything a lot more fun to drive than the coupes i was looking at (c class couple, G coupe)

bailey24 10-27-2011 01:36 PM

DO NOT get a Mazda CX-9. I just got rid of mine after 2 years as it is way too big (overall-size, door size, very bad gas mileage too and poor service from the dealers).

I picked up my 2012 TL last month and have a 2 year old girl and love it. It's bigger than my previous Infiniti G35X (cabin and trunk) and can support a family of up to 2 kids. My wife has a 2011 RDX which is a good size for her and is great for longer trips. I tried to give her the CX-9 when she was in the market but she hated driving it as it was too big.

She described the CX-9 best; "it is the size of a minivan without the benenfits"

I highly recommend the TL for small families!

OmAy2006 10-27-2011 03:25 PM

I have a 2 and 4 yr old...I do take them in the TL...with car seats. It seems to work.

But I hate the fact they walk all over the leather seats with there shoes and kick the back of the front seats while driving....when driving with kids i'm always concerned about keeping the car clean...

Maybe that's why my older son now says...."daddy your car is the black one(TL) and me and mommies car is the brown one(SUV)

lol

Litt 10-27-2011 04:35 PM

I have two kids (3 and 5) and the TL is fine. There is room for car seats / baby carriers. The phil and teds stroller fits in the back easily. I'd say it's just fine. the kids like my car better than the MDX. Who says you have to drive a minivan?

With SH-AWD the fam is just that much safer. Plus, when you are by yourself you can have some fun. :)

under9hell 10-27-2011 07:02 PM

if you're going to get a van, get the swagger wagon! :D

http://youtu.be/ql-N3F1FhW4

HappyBeing 10-27-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 13325308)

What is wrong with Infiniti? Why it is not good as a family car? Just curious.

shb 10-27-2011 07:37 PM

wow alot of interesting comments here... yeah I have been dreaming of getting a TL since college...it's now or 10 more years later :D.. and I don't plan to have kids more than 2... My main concern is if the space is enough for a long hours family trip (I know this question is answered now)

I think I am not ready for a minivan yet, but can tolerate a SUV... have driven numerous of SUV and they all felt super sluggish... I am driving a Scion TC now and it has been really great, good power and great handling... the only SUV that I can tolerate driving it is the CX9... plus the price been low and they have 0% financing...

Bailey_24 what kind of gas milleage are you getting with the CX9 ? I know its rated for 21 highway but is that what you are really getting ?

deuce415 10-27-2011 07:45 PM

I'm actually looking at the new pilot to replace our suv because it seats 8. It supposedly gets 18 and 25 for its mpg now. If you're taking long trips, the TL doesn't have the trunk room for it for your baggage and the baby gear. I have an awd and our Graco baby stroller is a tight fit in the trunk. You dOnt have much room for much else.

When you go to test drive, bring your car seat with you and put it in the TL. Then put your stroller in the trunk an see how much space you have left. It's really the only way to know for sure.