TL E-brake - love it or hate it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
TL E-brake - love it or hate it?

My wife, who is looking to replace her car soon, likes the TL, but the e-brake handle beside the console kills the whole deal for her. Next, please.

Now, I admit I don't care for "handbrake" type e-brakes, either, but I wouldn't let that rule a car out of consideration. But it raises a question:

Is a handbrake lever appropriate for a $40,000+ near-luxury sedan?

After all, the console area and general interior styling would be cleaner without that big old gonky lever poking into your leg on every left-hand turn. And when it's pulled up ... *ouch* ... geez, that's ugly.

I know some of you will say it's a sports-car touch, but face it - the TL ain't no sports car. So - love it or hate it?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
I actually like having the handbrake next to the console, I can't stand having the E-brake where your feet are.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I like it where it is.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
the 2nd gen has the foot brake & majority of ppl hated it so it was changed for the 3rg and 4th gen. I think its better and keeps them from having two center console designs for the MT versions
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
My wife, who is looking to replace her car soon, likes the TL, but the e-brake handle beside the console kills the whole deal for her. Next, please.

Now, I admit I don't care for "handbrake" type e-brakes, either, but I wouldn't let that rule a car out of consideration. But it raises a question:

After all, the console area and general interior styling would be cleaner without that big old gonky lever poking into your leg on every left-hand turn. And when it's pulled up ... *ouch* ... geez, that's ugly.

I know some of you will say it's a sports-car touch, but face it - the TL ain't no sports car. So - love it or hate it?

My previous '05 BMW 545i had a handbrake, so I don't know what the big deal is.

The better question would be, "Is it still appropriate for a Tier 1 luxury brand like BMW to offer standard leatherette on a 3 series?"
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a little confused and concerned? Where else would you put a E brake? The only floor E brakes I've come across are in trucks? Your from Texas Mike, tell that wife of yours "that's the way wee geet heer done in the TL."
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's easier to make U-turn, to have the hand brake where it is actually
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

I prefered the hand brake on the passenger side liek the 3G. I almost walked awy from 4G becuase of brake, but it does not hit my leg (barley misses) so I am OK, most I have seen the brake would hit my leg so I have to move on. I actually think it is OK where it is, but they should curve it toward the center to get if far from a person's leg.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer it on the driver's side...that way I don't have to grope my passenger to pull a j-turn.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Absolutely.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I never notice it right there (haven't ran into it on a left turn) - until I go to use it
Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a brake failure on the autobahn driving a BMW. The handbrake next to the driver saved me. I would have hated to try and modulate a foot mounted e-brake. It's just fine where it is.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Infiniti G35x has the foot brake. I thought I wouldn't like the handbrake when I got the TL, but I don't even notice it, TBH. And I'm big, so if it doesn't hit my leg, it shouldn't hit anybody's lol.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is she is concerned that it will get in the way while driving? Rest assured, it's not even noticable.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Pro

I hate the foot brake on the 2G TL. I'm surprised anyone would prefer that to the handbrake, which is standard on most cars.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

Love the handbrake on any car!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Chloe @ 17mo

Originally Posted by 05TL*6-SPEED*
I actually like having the handbrake next to the console, I can't stand having the E-brake where your feet are.
I'm of the opposite opinion. Having the E-Brake in the footwell leave more space in the center console, and making looks better too.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hydr0
Infiniti G35x has the foot brake. I thought I wouldn't like the handbrake when I got the TL, but I don't even notice it, TBH. And I'm big, so if it doesn't hit my leg, it shouldn't hit anybody's lol.
I have owned the G35x sedan, a 2004 model with the floor-mounted brake. I never liked it, always wondered why a "sporty" car would have a foot brake.

As for fast left turns, the TL's hand brake is covered with enough leather and padding to make it comfortable. Between this and the amount of seat bolstering, my 6 foot 3 inch, 240 pound frame has yet to touch the handbrake with my leg. I took a highway onramp this morning, a long left turn, got to about 70 MPH before even entering the highway and barely touched the hand brake. Believe me, the majority of my car's torque was going to that outside wheel, I could hear a little wheel noise and I was definately holding on.

A testimate to not only the comfort of the handbrake location but to the 4G TL's handling as well. The only other car I've owned that I felt comfortable enough to take this curve that fast was the BMW Z4 I just traded in.

Don't be concerned with the TL's hand brake.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM
2014 MDX Tech / sh-AWD

It would have been nice if they put a push button electronic brake like they have on the Audi's. This way you don't lose real estate and it is not hidden where your feet are
Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rhn75
It would have been nice if they put a push button electronic brake like they have on the Audi's...
Interesting...can you modulate the amount of braking force applied while driving with this system?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
2014 MDX Tech / sh-AWD

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
Interesting...can you modulate the amount of braking force applied while driving with this system?
Unfortunaltey you can't. It functions as an on/off switch. People need to keep in mind that it is intended as an emergency / parking brake and not to be used for race driving and making U-turns...
Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I'm sure it has everything to do with upcoming manual transmission. As someone stated, they don't want to make two center consoles so they are planning in advance. Funny though, I've never owned an automatic so having the handbrake seemed totally natural for me....
Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rhn75
Unfortunaltey you can't. It functions as an on/off switch. People need to keep in mind that it is intended as an emergency / parking brake and not to be used for race driving and making U-turns...
An emergency brake is not just for race driving, making U-Turns, or parking. In fact, its primary function is as a mechanical backup for your hydraulic braking system should it fail -- hence its name: "emergency brake".

If you cannot modulate the emergency brake on the Audi system, then it fails in its primary function.

Acura's placement of the emergency brake in the 2009 TL is ideal for most drivers (the majority of whom are right-handed) so that it can be easily controlled with the right hand, while steering with the left hand, and brake pressure applied as appropriate to come to a safe, controlled stop.

Don't they teach the above in Driver's Education programs anymore?

Old 02-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
An emergency brake is not just for race driving, making U-Turns, or parking. In fact, its primary function is as a mechanical backup for your hydraulic braking system should it fail -- hence its name: "emergency brake".

If you cannot modulate the emergency brake on the Audi system, then it fails in its primary function.

Acura's placement of the emergency brake in the 2009 TL is ideal for most drivers (the majority of whom are right-handed) so that it can be easily controlled with the right hand, while steering with the left hand, and brake pressure applied as appropriate to come to a safe, controlled stop.

Don't they teach the above in Driver's Education programs anymore?

Actually it is controlled and modulated by various onboard systems that will be more precise than by doing it manually with a hand brake while keeping both hands on the wheel for better control and saftey.

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...ilter_i_e.html

Im sure in the future you will see this on probably the RL and not for some time on the TL. VW/Audi has had this system since 2003 so its actually old technology for them.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cp3117
Actually it is controlled and modulated by various onboard systems that will be more precise than by doing it manually with a hand brake while keeping both hands on the wheel for better control and saftey.

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...ilter_i_e.html

Im sure in the future you will see this on probably the RL and not for some time on the TL. VW/Audi has had this system since 2003 so its actually old technology for them.
That makes a lot more sense!

Thanks for the update!

Electromechanical parking brake

The electromechanical parking brake has little in common with a conventional handbrake. It is resistant to wear, its braking effect is permanently constant and it cannot lock up.

The electromechanical parking brake comprises the parking brake, starting-off aid and emergency braking functions. It is activated by pulling a lever on the centre console, which replaces the conventional handbrake lever. When you drive off – provided the driver's seat belt is fastened – the parking brake is released automatically. The control unit for the electromechanical parking brake determines the selected gear, accelerator position, engine speed, torque, direction of travel and the vehicle’s angle of inclination. It uses this information to prevent the vehicle from rolling back when starting on an incline. The brake can only be released manually if the foot brake is depressed at the same time. In the event of an emergency braking manoeuvre with the parking brake, the vehicle can be braked considerably more effectively than with a conventional handbrake because the system communicates with the anti-lock braking system (ABS) and electronic brake force distribution (EBD) via the electronic stabilisation programme (ESP).

Last edited by S2000 Driver; 02-24-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
My previous '05 BMW 545i had a handbrake, so I don't know what the big deal is.

The better question would be, "Is it still appropriate for a Tier 1 luxury brand like BMW to offer standard leatherette on a 3 series?"
Amen to that!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I prefered the hand brake on the passenger side liek the 3G. I almost walked awy from 4G becuase of brake, but it does not hit my leg (barley misses) so I am OK, most I have seen the brake would hit my leg so I have to move on. I actually think it is OK where it is, but they should curve it toward the center to get if far from a person's leg.
I think that was a great idea, it also was a conversation starter and an excusable way to touch some thighs
Old 02-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by blakura
an excusable way to touch some thighs
blakura's date says, " um, the handbrake is not in my panties"
Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
blakura's date says, " um, the handbrake is not in my panties"
At least i hope he doesnt find something similar to a handbrake in her panties.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh lordy! The Crying Game!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Race Director

Maybe Acura should do an electronic parking brake Audi?

The problem with the TL handbrake is that it sticks up too far. It should have been set lower so its less noticeable.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Race Director

See how much lower the brake is in the BMW? I think Acura should do something like that. Its much less noticeable.