Timing A Car Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Timing A Car Purchase

I'm coming off a lease which is up 6-8-09 (last payment 5-8-09). I'm tempted to work out a deal in which the Acura dealership will make the final payment or two of my Lexus lease so that I can buy the TL in the next two months. Right now, the best offer I have on the purchase of the TL (FWD w/ Tech) is $35,500. Now I understand that as the model year wears on, prices tend to drop so I don't want to be too impatient but if the reality is that prices aren't going to drop and this is a very good price I may try and work out a deal to get out of the last few months of my lease and pull the trigger now.

BTW, for anyone who's read any of my previous posts, I changed my mind on the SH-AWD vehicle. It rides a little too hard for my tastes and I find the steering to be a bit too heavily weighted. Having driven the FWD car I find it's far more to my liking and it has all the tech goodies I'm craving. The only real negative is that I now won't be able to get that beautiful umber interior with the Mayan Bronze. But the parchment leather looks very nice too. There was just something very, very special about that umber.

Oh well, there's no such thing as a free lunch. as they say.

So what do you think about prices? Will they be dropping in the next few months?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Depends on if you are looking to jump into another lease or doing financing. Lease incentives change from month to month while financing rates are a bit more stable. As for the MSRP/invoice of the car, i don't think you will see any change between now and the end of your lease... When the 2010's show up, probably yes.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:07 PM

It's going to be a straight cash purchase. No financing. So I guess the price now is likely to be about the same as in May. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Doc you got issues man...seriously. I don't know what to tell you other than to go with Ebony interior as it looks sick with the silver panel highlights, and is very forgiving.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by bmode
Doc you got issues man...seriously. I don't know what to tell you other than to go with Ebony interior as it looks sick with the silver panel highlights, and is very forgiving.

Dude, interesting approach to clinical assessment you have going there. The fact that I may prefer the parchment interior to the ebony on a Mayan Bronze car leads you to conclude that I "have issues?"

Don't you suppose that's just a bit narcissistic and ego centric on your part?

If you'd like I can refer you to someone who could help you with those issues. ;-)
Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well I hope you not a doctor for real, because that wasn't my insinuation at all. This is the comment that provoked my retort...

I changed my mind on the SH-AWD vehicle. It rides a little too hard for my tastes and I find the steering to be a bit too heavily weighted
Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Well I hope you not a doctor for real, because that wasn't my insinuation at all. This is the comment that provoked my retort...
Not to disillusion you, but actually I am. As to the switch of plans, you really can't (or at least shouldn't) make a final decision until you test drive the car(s) in question. And while the SH-AWD has an enormous amount going for it, I have to be cognizant of the fact that I live in NYC where the roads are far from perfect. The ride (here at least) of that vehicle is just way too rough for my liking. So too with the steering effort. The latter issue I'm sure I'd get used to, the former, not so much. So I test drove the FWD and it was instant love. The ride was just perfect for me, the power was terrific and the steering was about exactly what I was looking for. Sure, I'll miss the AWD when I'm taking an off ramp at 60mph, but other than that I think the FWD should be just fine.

I hope that clarifies my change of heart.

I still love the SH-AWD -- it's just not for me.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Right now, the best offer I have on the purchase of the TL (FWD w/ Tech) is $35,500. Now I understand that as the model year wears on, prices tend to drop
That's an awesome price and one that I could never do. You could wait, but as you run it closer to the end of the year, color selection becomes harder and harder. There is essentially no production for the next few months, and we have no idea when they'll close 09 production but I bet it won't be too long after they resume production in May.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
It's going to be a straight cash purchase. No financing. So I guess the price now is likely to be about the same as in May. Decisions, decisions.
Things change every month, what does seem to be consistent is the last day or two of the month they are more willing to deal, especially lately with the bad econony dealers are usually no where near their numbers. My SH-AWD came down a few hindred more on the 31st of January and I pulled the trigger, my GF got a brand new CRV loaded for around $1500 UNDER invoice, the dealer gave up all his profit just to move the car becasue the dealership was 100 cars short of their 300 a month quota!! I don't know if I would wait too long as the year progresses manufactureres are adjusting their manufacturing and inventories will fall to sustainable levels. Talking to my Acura dealer they used to run 30-60 day inventory and are adjusting to a 15 day inventory. Once that happens and the car sales volumes are where they are at dealers will want to make more per car to stay in business.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, interesting approach to clinical assessment you have going there. The fact that I may prefer the parchment interior to the ebony on a Mayan Bronze car leads you to conclude that I "have issues?"

Don't you suppose that's just a bit narcissistic and ego centric on your part?

If you'd like I can refer you to someone who could help you with those issues. ;-)
The Mayan with Parchment is a gorgeous color combo IMO. It looks decent with the black leather too. Umber was never my thing though. I'd prefer it if the Umber color had a bit more brown pigment in it (for richness).

Not to disillusion you, but actually I am. As to the switch of plans, you really can't (or at least shouldn't) make a final decision until you test drive the car(s) in question. And while the SH-AWD has an enormous amount going for it, I have to be cognizant of the fact that I live in NYC where the roads are far from perfect. The ride (here at least) of that vehicle is just way too rough for my liking. So too with the steering effort. The latter issue I'm sure I'd get used to, the former, not so much. So I test drove the FWD and it was instant love. The ride was just perfect for me, the power was terrific and the steering was about exactly what I was looking for. Sure, I'll miss the AWD when I'm taking an off ramp at 60mph, but other than that I think the FWD should be just fine.

I hope that clarifies my change of heart.

I still love the SH-AWD -- it's just not for me.
The FWD was a good choice. It's just as fast as the SH-AWD model so you don't give much up. It's also got excellent handling for a FWD car (much better than the V6 Accord).
Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Pro

Well I hope you not a doctor for real...
Not to disillusion you, but actually I am.
Doc,

You're welcome up in my neighborhood anytime.

It will be nice to see a vehicle other than a Mercedes-Benz on the streets here with New York "MD" license plates!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Finally CJ says something that I agree with, yeah! The FWD is not joke Doc. It's lighter, and just as quick in a straight line race with the SH-AWD. It's just not as firm when racing around the hood. IMO the SH-AWD just looks better, and corners better. I don't care for the fat steering wheel or the double race stitching, so you'll win with the FWD, good luck.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
Doc,

You're welcome up in my neighborhood anytime.

It will be nice to see a vehicle other than a Mercedes-Benz on the streets here with New York "MD" license plates!

You may have a bit more of a wait then I'm afraid. I'm a Ph.D. clinical psychologist, not an M.D. But my license plates do have a vertical PSY on them.

Am I still welcome? ;-)
Old 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

. And while the SH-AWD has an enormous amount going for it, I have to be cognizant of the fact that I live in NYC where the roads are far from perfect. The ride (here at least) of that vehicle is just way too rough for my liking.
As an ex- New Yorker that goes back each year to visit family, I fully understand your postions. I have commented a few times to people on this forum about the AWD, that if the roads you deal with are reasonably smooth the AWD ride is awesome, but if I were back in NYC I would never take the AWD rdie, would be jaw jolting. I think there are many that never expieienced NYC roads, sure they have dealt with bad roads, but NYC roads are in a class by themselves.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Finally CJ says something that I agree with, yeah! The FWD is not joke Doc. It's lighter, and just as quick in a straight line race with the SH-AWD. It's just not as firm when racing around the hood. IMO the SH-AWD just looks better, and corners better. I don't care for the fat steering wheel or the double race stitching, so you'll win with the FWD, good luck.
With respect to the looks, it's my understanding that the only differences are the rims, the lower front bumper design (air cooling ducts for the brakes) and the quad vs. dual tail pipes.

As to the rims, I was never a great fan of the 18" SH-AWD wheels. I kind of like the split fork rims of the 17"ers a bit better, though, to be completely candid, neither rim wows me. Admittedly, the 18"ers fill the wheel well better.

I do love the quad pipes of the SH-AWD though. They look very aggressive and purposeful. The dual pipes on the FWD do, at least, preserve the flat, rectangualar aesthetic, something I think is gorgeous.

Are there any other external differences I've missed?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by KeithL
As an ex- New Yorker that goes back each year to visit family, I fully understand your postions. I have commented a few times to people on this forum about the AWD, that if the roads you deal with are reasonably smooth the AWD ride is awesome, but if I were back in NYC I would never take the AWD rdie, would be jaw jolting. I think there are many that never expieienced NYC roads, sure they have dealt with bad roads, but NYC roads are in a class by themselves.
Some of the potholes have their own zip code (lol).
Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Pro

You may have a bit more of a wait then I'm afraid. I'm a Ph.D. clinical psychologist, not an M.D. But my license plates do have a vertical PSY on them.

Am I still welcome? ;-)
Good enough for me -- you're in!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KeithL
I've had no problem with NYC streets in the TL...but I guess it all depends on what you are used to. Even handled our little snow/ice storm today with no problems whatsoever.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GearDriven
I've had no problem with NYC streets in the TL...but I guess it all depends on what you are used to. Even handled our little snow/ice storm today with no problems whatsoever.
Yeah the AWD in bad weather must be a great ride, but growing up on Staten Island and those roads there is no way I woudl owna stiff ride, maybe if I were back in NJ I woudl be ok, but not any of the 5 boroughs!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Advanced

Is the steering wheel really different between the two cars. Maybe I didn't examine it close enough, but I thought the stiching was the only difference.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Finally CJ says something that I agree with, yeah!
Lol, thanks .

With respect to the looks, it's my understanding that the only differences are the rims, the lower front bumper design (air cooling ducts for the brakes) and the quad vs. dual tail pipes.

As to the rims, I was never a great fan of the 18" SH-AWD wheels. I kind of like the split fork rims of the 17"ers a bit better, though, to be completely candid, neither rim wows me. Admittedly, the 18"ers fill the wheel well better.

I do love the quad pipes of the SH-AWD though. They look very aggressive and purposeful. The dual pipes on the FWD do, at least, preserve the flat, rectangualar aesthetic, something I think is gorgeous.

Are there any other external differences I've missed?
Chrome door handles and a few interior bits (like the upgraded leather which has been mentioned).

I'd be back in a TL if the interior was nicer though. Oh well, my GS is all I could have ever wished for, I might not be back at Acura until the Rl replacement arrives .
Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Oh well, my GS is all I could have ever wished for, I might not be back at Acura until the Rl replacement arrives .
Not to be rude, but the GS is unequivocally my least favorite Lexus. I hate the hatchback look of it and it's very cramped inside the cockpit. The interior looks cold -- especially so for a Lexus. I like the interior of my ES far better. And the trunk is almost unuseable. The rear seats are smaller and have less leg room than a 3 series in a car almost twice the size.

On a positive not, it does drive very well and the suspension is a nice combination of compliant vs handling. And, as is the case with all Lexus', the fit and finish and reliability is second to none.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not to be rude, but the GS is unequivocally my least favorite Lexus. I hate the hatchback look of it and it's very cramped inside the cockpit. The interior looks cold -- especially so for a Lexus. I like the interior of my ES far better. And the trunk is almost unuseable. The rear seats are smaller and have less leg room than a 3 series in a car almost twice the size.

On a positive not, it does drive very well and the suspension is a nice combination of compliant vs handling. And, as is the case with all Lexus', the fit and finish and reliability is second to none.
Haha, the GS is one of my favorite Lexus. The ES has a graceful design and inside and out and it's very roomy, but the ride and handling isn't my cup of tea. The only other Lexus sedan I'd get is the LS, but it's a little out of my price range .

Anyway, some of your specs are wrong. The GS has more legroom front and back than your ES. The cockpit is also far from cramped with more headroom than your ES front and back too. I love the GS and as you said it drives very well and the suspension is a nice combination of compliant vs handling. The fit and finish and reliability is second to none!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 PM
E-Xtraordinare

I gotta say with the stiff ride complaint, that coudl be the only thing shying me away from this car but like someone else said, you gotta drive it to believe it yourself. I have yet to do that...

By the way, Jersey roads are not getting any better.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
I gotta say with the stiff ride complaint, that coudl be the only thing shying me away from this car but like someone else said, you gotta drive it to believe it yourself. I have yet to do that...

By the way, Jersey roads are not getting any better.
I'm from Jersey, too , and there's a reason why there are so many Lexus ESs on the roads in Jersey . One of the quietest and smoothest sedans, perfect for our roads here in the "Gardern" state.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
...By the way, Jersey roads are not getting any better.
Hey, wait a minute, you live in one of my favorite towns in Jersey! I recall the roads as being quite good there -- has that changed?

At least I don't remember having any problems crossing the street from the P campus to get to the wonderful pubs!