Thoughts after 500 miles ('12 white/black 6spd manual AWD w/tech)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Thoughts after 500 miles ('12 white/black 6spd manual AWD w/tech)

so i've had my car for about 500 miles now. overall i love the car even though i havent been able to open it up since i'm still not at the 600 mile break in period. here are some thoughts in no random order (feel free to add to this)

1- still pissed at acura for making me have to choose between the ventilated seats or 6 spd manual. i went to the dealership with the full intention of getting the advance package however they had a 6 spd manual car on the lot and i made the mistake of test driving it. why cant we have 6 spd manual w/the advance package? it's enough you force us to have a black interior with the manual..

2- the size of the trunk on the awd version is horrible. way too small

3- why the hump in the middle seat in the back? does the non-awd version have that hump?

4- why the hell are the windows not auto down/up?? my wifes base camry has all 4 windows w/auto up and down! this is supposed to be a luxury car, right? lol

5- voice recognition has not been good w/me so far. first off the calling out the song has not worked for me (dont really care too much) but i wish that i could dial contacts by just saying "call dad". however it's like ten steps and it's much quicker to dial via the speed dial

6- small annoyance; but when my iphone is hooked up via usb for music and bluetooth for phone i cant hear any of my texts or emails come through if usb audio is not on. my issue is that i use my iphone as my ipod and sometimes i just want to charge it without having to have a separate charger.

7- hard drive is pointless. i cant move mp3's on there from a thumb drive what is the point?

lol i know it sounds like i hate the car but i honestly love it and dont regret my decision at all. i'm just putting down some random thoughts i had and hey maybe you guys have some solutions?

things i like:

1- the manual shifter is the best i've ever used. so slick and i love how it engages with a click

2- sound system is the best stock system ever

3- navi is great. love the whole ipod/usb thing

4- sh-awd.. enough said
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,012 Likes on 14,516 Posts
wow...funny enough...seems so minute and stupid but I decided recently after riding in a base (250) lexus IS that my next car MUST have auto/up down on front and rear windows AND must have ventilated seats. Unreasonable...maybe...but too bad. When I pay almost 40K for a car, it better be exactly what I want.

I'm sure your enjoyment of driving the 6 speed will offset what you're missing.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Hmmm....7 bad points, 4 good points. Why did you buy the car????
Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Hmmm....7 bad points, 4 good points. Why did you buy the car????

lol i knew this was going to come out sounding wrong but i really do love the car.. these are things i'm pointing out that are really not important to me (trunk size, middle seat in the back) but can be important to others and are important when designing a luxury vehicle.

also where else can you get the combo of 305 hp + awd + 6 spd manual?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Maybe you should have listed the 305 HP in the "positive" list!!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by omaralt
lol i knew this was going to come out sounding wrong but i really do love the car.. these are things i'm pointing out that are really not important to me (trunk size, middle seat in the back) but can be important to others and are important when designing a luxury vehicle.

also where else can you get the combo of 305 hp + awd + 6 spd manual?
Not sure of any to be honest. Many cars with 300+ HP may be offered in AWD or a manual, but not both. The TL SH-AWD 6MT is a rare breed. Glad to hear that you love the car.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I am pushing 3K miles on mine and about the only negative I can think of is the voice recognition. It rarely goes where I tell it to but will get me in the ballpark. It's not easy to get it to understand "iPod search" "Artist", "Metallica", "master of puppets".. but does get me to artist. I have about 50GB worth of songs to sort through

I agree about the hard drive being about worthless.

The hump in the back seat does not affect me. I rarely have backseat passengers and when I do, it's only one or 2 and I have been told that the back seat is comfortable.

I have the 6spd AT and love it.

I am not sure why having auto up/down on the rear windows would be important but...
Old 06-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The hump in the back seat does not affect me. I rarely have backseat passengers and when I do, it's only one or 2 and I have been told that the back seat is comfortable.

same here i almost never have 3 passengers in the back however it should still not be there. other than the middle seat the back seat is best in class in terms of leg room

I have the 6spd AT and love it.

in the two weeks i had the auto transmission i actually was surprised at how good it was. it held the gear when you wanted and what i loved most is that it manual mode it never shifts out of the gear

I am not sure why having auto up/down on the rear windows would be important but...

its one of those things that once your used to it you love it. i like to cruise with all my windows open and in my old 04 bmw and my wifes 10 camry you just do 4 simultaneous presses to open and the same to close; very convenient. again acura is trying to push this car as a luxury car (which it is) so it needs to have these basic options

to add to a few positives:

- 305 hp;cant wait to open it up in 90 miles! (thanks for reminding me steven bell! it's soo hard not going past 4K rpms)

- i love the seats! great support and side bolstering; and
love the black leather with white stitching with the perforations; looks very high end.

will be adding more as time goes on; gotta get back to work
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
With the iphone - just ditch using the USB altogether and go all bluetooth - you'll be much happier. If you want to have your MP3s with you and use the nav screen/controls, I'd suggest a flash drive for the USB, or just burn them to a DVD and keep them in the disc player. WHEN the bluetooth is working properly, the skip buttons work fine on the steering wheel for the ipod mode, pandora, etc. - it just seems to be every 3rd time they hook up that it works.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 AM
very punny....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the sunroof one touch open/close? and are just the front two windows auto up/down or is it driver only?

I'm still shopping for a TL, and I agree with rockstar. I test drove (and almost bought) the IS 250 and fell in love with the ventilated seats. It's a must have for me now, especially living in TX.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
With the iphone - just ditch using the USB altogether and go all bluetooth - you'll be much happier. If you want to have your MP3s with you and use the nav screen/controls, I'd suggest a flash drive for the USB, or just burn them to a DVD and keep them in the disc player. WHEN the bluetooth is working properly, the skip buttons work fine on the steering wheel for the ipod mode, pandora, etc. - it just seems to be every 3rd time they hook up that it works.
i was thinking about that but i prefer the usb interface especially since it charges it vs drains my phone. best solution is to eventually get an ipod that stays in the car

Originally Posted by indopinoy
Is the sunroof one touch open/close? and are just the front two windows auto up/down or is it driver only?

I'm still shopping for a TL, and I agree with rockstar. I test drove (and almost bought) the IS 250 and fell in love with the ventilated seats. It's a must have for me now, especially living in TX.

the sunroof is one touch open/close. the two front are auto down only. my question to those that have the advance package; is the seat ventilated bottom and back or just bottom?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
wow...funny enough...seems so minute and stupid but I decided recently after riding in a base (250) lexus IS that my next car MUST have auto/up down on front and rear windows AND must have ventilated seats. Unreasonable...maybe...but too bad. When I pay almost 40K for a car, it better be exactly what I want.

I'm sure your enjoyment of driving the 6 speed will offset what you're missing.
I used to own the IS, but sold it due its numerous mechanical issues and other annoyances. Although the IS has all windows auto up/down, it does NOT have the auto tilt in reverse or the tinted side mirrors which are a huge help when some idiot is driving behind you with their high beams on. I gladly gave up the auto up/down rear windows for this feature. Ventilated seats was something the TL was missing, but has now added. As an overall package, the TL trumps any advantages the IS (base) car has.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was thinking about that but i prefer the usb interface especially since it charges it vs drains my phone. best solution is to eventually get an ipod that stays in the car

the sunroof is one touch open/close. the two front are auto down only. my question to those that have the advance package; is the seat ventilated bottom and back or just bottom?
Thats crazy they are auto down only... my 2011 is auto up and down in the front. The rears aren't a big deal to me because I never put them down but its a feature I need in all my cars, so much nicer to be pulling into a spot and just hit the 2 buttons and watch em go up.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
As far as I know the 4th gen TL has auto up/down windows for the front windows. It's the rear ones that aren't so.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
The two front windows are auto up and down.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am pushing 3K miles on mine and about the only negative I can think of is the voice recognition. It rarely goes where I tell it to but will get me in the ballpark. It's not easy to get it to understand "iPod search" "Artist", "Metallica", "master of puppets".. but does get me to artist. I have about 50GB worth of songs to sort through

Do you speak with an accent? Reason I am asking is the first sales person I talked to at another dealership that I didnt buy the car from was Asian. He had a heavy accent and couldnt get the voice recognition to work. I dont have a problem with it. You just have to speak clearly and at an easy pace.

Last edited by 2010_Type_SH; 06-24-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Treblig
See this is why I posted this I just learned something. Just confirmed; front windows are auto up and down
Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2010_Type_SH
Do you speak with an accent? Reason I am asking is the first sales person I talked to at another dealership that I didnt buy the car from was Asian. He had a heavy accent and couldnt get the voice recognition to work. I dont have a problem with it. You just have to speak clearly and at an easy pace.
I am Russian/Vietnamese/Chinese/Pakistani/Mexican mix.. my accent is all over the place.

I just have to work with it more is all. I am probably not saying the right commands.. they chould geeve us a placard wit da propuh verds to say on eet.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

See this is why I posted this I just learned something. Just confirmed; front windows are auto up and down
Ohhh! I thought you was referring to the rear ones... LOL... yes, as with the 3G, both fronts are auto
Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
you're talking about the side controls, correct? ...not with the key fob.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Racer

Few more observations:

Love the steering wheel! Does the fwd have the divets at the 4 and 8 o'clock position? Don't remember it from my fwd car

This is the first time I've ever had xm radio and I love it but reception cuts out if I go under a tree! Is this normal or should I get it checked out?

One annoyance today; I was talking via Bluetooth when I received another call; but I didn't have the option of switching calls via the screen. On my BMW you can switch calls via the idrive. Real annoying as I leave my phone in my pocket
Old 06-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Yes. No auto up from the key fob.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Few more observations:

Love the steering wheel! Does the fwd have the divets at the 4 and 8 o'clock position? Don't remember it from my fwd car

This is the first time I've ever had xm radio and I love it but reception cuts out if I go under a tree! Is this normal or should I get it checked out?

One annoyance today; I was talking via Bluetooth when I received another call; but I didn't have the option of switching calls via the screen. On my BMW you can switch calls via the idrive. Real annoying as I leave my phone in my pocket
you have to press the PICK-UP button to put the original call on hold and answer the incoming call. To return to the original, press the PICK-UP button again. (per manual )
Old 06-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by akiko2012
you have to press the PICK-UP button to put the original call on hold and answer the incoming call. To return to the original, press the PICK-UP button again. (per manual )
Awesome thanks. Just tried it out and works good but the problem is that you don't see the number of the second call without looking at the phone
Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I am Russian/Vietnamese/Chinese/Pakistani/Mexican mix.. my accent is all over the place.
Good Lord, man.

I think my car would blow out all 4 tires if it heard my dad's thick accent. Trying to set the AC to 70 degrees would probably cause the trunk to explode.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Good Lord, man.

I think my car would blow out all 4 tires if it heard my dad's thick accent. Trying to set the AC to 70 degrees would probably cause the trunk to explode.
LOL, I am kidding about my accent and ethnicity. I know I need to read up on the commands for the voice activation. I usually just scroll though using the "The Knob". Not hard to do at all.

It would be nice if they voice commands were more friendly... but, they are getting there!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
It's amazing the "cool stuff" in my 3G I never really used. I thought DVD-Audio would be the bomb. I bought about 5 DVD-A's to play in it. No idea where any are and haven't listened to any since the 1st year of ownership. I thought the voice commands would be really important. The only voice command I ever use is about once every few months when I'm on a long drive, I get curious about the elevation, so I'll say "display current location". That's the extent of that.